The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

What's kind of irking you, but might work out OK in the end?

One of our sales managers is laid up with pretty serious poop chute problems. I like the guy a lot, and I hope he comes through it ok.....he's got 2 kids, and his wife recently lost her gig with no warning. fucking brutal.

He might have to be out for some time. In his absence, I'll be filling in for him while also trying to stay on top of my job. It's more work....which I don't mind if I'm here anyway....but it might mean I could lose my mornings/ Friday afternoon off while this goes on.

the upshot is that I will get some time on the desk (the guy that gives the numbers to the salesmen) so I can demonstrate my skills, and impress the boss. i want to do a good job because I want my stock to increase in value, but I don't want to do such a good job that the guy I'm filling in for loses his gig over it.

I gotta get back to work now.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

I don't know what it is like there, but I know out here working the desk is the most fun job in the store. Have fun.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

My dissertation.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Overfullness. My hubsand made the most amazing potato chips tonight and...I am feeling the results of my over-zealously hungry state.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I had to start my own business because no one hired me. So now I have been doing free work and getting referrals, and am being paid by a few clients. I have been called back in to the cafe, but I really just hope I can make rent. I have been doing a couple of jobs a day and can't seem to make enough scratch. I hope I make rent. lol!

Please cross your fingers for me!!

I really hope I don't have to work during my best friends visit but I might have to. Irksome. It also might all turn out ok.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

my entire life?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
my entire life?
i lolled
Old 05-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Trying to Get Information re a Tax Refund

About 2 months ago I started looking into the possibility that I might be due a tax refund this year. After all, I paid tax for the 7 months I was employed, and would have been paying at a rate which assumed I would be employed for the next 5 months.

I poked about on the internet, and it confirmed (in a vague way) that I might be entitled.
I called the tax office, who advised that as I was currently on benefits I should call the job centre.

I called the job centre and spoke to a woman who first advised me to call the tax office. When I explained that they had told me to call her, she went away from the phone and spoke to a colleague. When she came back she advised that if I was due it, I would receive it. This was not reassuring, but I was already emotionally exhausted from speaking to strangers about my finances, so I left it there.

At the beginning of April I went to the advocacy service who are helping me with a number of paperwork/ bureaucratic issues. I asked if they would be able to follow it up for me. I explained that what I really wanted to know was firstly if I was even due anything? And secondly, was everything correct on their system, so that I could be confident I would simply receive it when it was due?

They (the advocates) called back and left a message with Mum.
Basically, it took 4-5 weeks.

I followed it up with them again at my meeting today. Hmmmm, yes it had been over four weeks now. Perhaps it was worth chasing up. I agreed that I was willing to do it - I'm feeling fragile today, but quite determined.

So I called the job centre. Turns out they were not the right people to speak to all, it's handled by my regional processing centre in Southampton. Aha. Called and waited on hold for 20 minutes. Yes, they could check their screen for me - now we're getting somewhere! No, the assessment hadn't get been processed, but it could be any time up until the end of May. Could they check the details and see if I was even due a refund? That's odd. There's no record of me having submitted any tax details in 2008-09. This means that I can't get any refund because I can't be included in any assessments. The most likely reason is that I haven't submitted the P45 I received when I left my last employment.

Off to the internet to find out if there is any way around not having a P45 as I definitely do not have one, and don't think I ever received one (quick email to them anyway, to see if they can help - but I know how slowly the wages dept processes queries). Call your tax office says the internet, and gives me a number in Edinburgh.

Hold and wait for 7 minutes. Nice Scottish lady confirms that there is no tax information entered for my employment with EEA in 2008-09, only for the previous year. The employer's copy of the P45 hasn't been filed with them, and the P60 has not yet been issued. BUT... we agree that the information I have on my final payslip - which I did receive and kept safe - is the same as on a Statement of Earnings, which they will accept in lieu of a P45.

Can I send this to Cardiff with a covering letter?

So I have gone out to post a letter to Wales, hoping that this can be dealt with asap, so that if I am entitled to a refund, they can send my details to Southampton who will issue one.

Argh.
Why oh why oh why oh why can you never get the right information first time?
Had I been told to call the processing centre to start with I would have known from the beginning that it was not going to happen automatically. I would almost definitely know by now whether I am even due a refund. I might even have received it by now. As it is, I have weeks more to wait to find out whether I'll get it, and weeks more to wait even if it's due.

Bloody red tape.

But it might work out OK in the end. Because after all, I have had a busy afternoon talking to strangers all over the country about my finances. And of course I might get some money. At the very least I can be proud of myself for finally getting it sorted out.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Well done SG for sticking with it. Hope you get your refund!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Typing it all out helped get it out of my system anyway.
I was on the verge of heading off to the off licence for tramp juice.

Instead I stayed on t'internet and found a lovely B&B for my break in Cardiff next January
Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

At this moment, I'm very aware of my deodorant. Same brand, different flavor. I usually get this:

and it works ok..... but i figured I'd try the new orange kind:

I don't have any better vertical, but I can smell it. so far, my pits are dry, though.....so I've got that going for me
Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
glatt

the word "smell" in a post about underarms is not appealing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

the post isn't about underarms. it's about smells.

I can smell my very fragrant pits. they smell fresh and in no way remind me of basketball.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
jinx
Come on, cat.

And you didn't get me any because....?