Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #46
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Today was my 1 year Un-iversary.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #47
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

wow, that time has passed by really quickly.

I hope you're holding up ok. Must be a bit tough.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #48
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Well, yeah... it is, a bit. But I picked this thread for a reason. I mean, there are definitely positive aspect to what seemed like the end of my whole world at the time.

I have some very big regrets, but hope is beginning to glimmer around the edges of things, too. I wouldn't wish the experience on anyone, but I think this will be one of those things that didn't kill me.

My relationship with my kids has tightened up if anything. Although I hate that it took that kind of a shock to our lives for it to happen.... I'm really glad to have my two best friends all to myself twice a week.

Life's a fucking trip, huh?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #49
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

The fact you are a survivor and a great parent says, great things about you. I wish you continued....growth and happiness, in increasing measures as time goes on.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #50
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
It sure is. Glad to hear that you're doing great with your kids.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #51
Aliantha

Quote:
Well, yeah... it is, a bit. But I picked this thread for a reason. I mean, there are definitely positive aspect to what seemed like the end of my whole world at the time.

I have some very big regrets, but hope is beginning to glimmer around the edges of things, too. I wouldn't wish the experience on anyone, but I think this will be one of those things that didn't kill me.

My relationship with my kids has tightened up if anything. Although I hate that it took that kind of a shock to our lives for it to happen.... I'm really glad to have my two best friends all to myself twice a week.

Yeah, when my first (common law) marriage broke up I thought it was the end of the world. But after a while I realized it was the best thing that could have happened. In hindsight I realized the relationship was toxic from the begining. I'm sure yours wasn't, but they're all different, and turn out differently.

It's a testament to you that you're healing so quickly. Some people certainly prefer to dwell on things for a long time and wallow in the sorrow.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 AM   #52
Griff
still says videotape

I can see how your relationship with the kids could have improved. I'm glad you've made it happen, it is unbelievable how many Dads turn into sperm donors when things get tough. Good on you bro.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #53
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Yeah, life can be a mess. I'm glad things are smoothing out for you.

Continue to be a good dad to your kids. But don't forget to take care of yourself too.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #54
monster
I hear them call the tide

The current House Program Manager at the boys' hockey club has fucked it up so much that players and coaches are leaving in droves. Notably Hector's coaches and all his buddies. The house manager is a selfish, vindictive and mostly incapable bitch. And i'm not even on her shitlist (I know you're surprised.... this is one board I decided I needed to stay the hell away from....)

The house manager hates Hector's coach, assistant coach (House Director two years ago, did a good job) and team manager from last year (who was last year's house director and did a great job) so much that she has already told them they cannot coach next year "because we already have enough coaches at that level" -our boys all age up to Bantam next year and there are only 2 bantam teams vs 4 peewee because many are lost to high school teams. But it's bullshit. Each year the positions are all open to the most qualified applicants no matter who did it previously. But you know they are toast.

So they asked to form a second tier travel team. Which would bring in more $$. Refused. point blank. So they went to another organization and were welcomed with open arms. Last night Hector went to try out for the travel team at that organization -the idea was that all the kids show up to try out to show that there are numbers to support a second tier travel team.
There were. But tonight Hector got a call back for the main team. For the second tryout tomorrow night

He only started playing two years ago and he's good but the plan was to stay house. And if he gets on this team, he will surely be second goalie, so hardly get to play. But what if the second tier team fails to materialize? It's only spring hockey (8 weeks, scrimmages and practice only) but we've started down a path that wasn't on the map because of a stupid bitch who hasn't a fucking clue and non-profit board politics, and it will affect Thor too because we will want them both at the same rink.... and there is a registration deadline looming for this new rink. But it might be OK.....
Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #55
Aliantha

We have the same sort of bullshit issues with the boys footy club. It's irritating, but in the end we usually leave the kids the choice of what they want to do and then make decisions from there.

So far it's worked out, but I did get told off at registration for being rude to club volunteers.

In the end, the club manager back pedalled and apologised to me for messing stuff up, but it's still annoying.

Things are good now. I'm managing the boys team, so I get to run it the way I think is best anyway. So far so good.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #56
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Thats typical of travel teams around here also.
Sucks, but it is what it is.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #57
monster

It's the house program that's the problem not the travel team. We just didn't want to be travel, don't know travel, are feeling a little adrift......

...and didn't expect a call back
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #58
classicman

Terminology is confusing me then. House team to me is where 100 kids sign up and are divided onto teams - all kids play, Kinda like a YMCA or a recreational league.
What is it there?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #59
monster

yup. that's it. But it's been badly managed so we've been forced to travel. as it were. And that's scary and irking us. but could be OK
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #60
classicman

Travel can (and should) be a HUGE step up. He probably will sit for awhile until he gets accustomed to the better competition and the "play to win" versus "play for fun" attitude. The coaching is usually far better at the travel level and he should learn a great deal more.
One caution with travel hockey is the distances and the times that the games are held. (I think you are used to that though. Best friends are/were travel players and they have game start times of 9:00PM!!! Eff that.
My kids all started rec league and had to sit at the beginning when we moved up to travel. It was good for them. They didn't get on the soccer field until their understanding of the team concept matched their individual skills (which also improved with the better coaching).

ETA - The cost for all the latest hockey gear will make your investment in your daughter's swimsuit look like pocket change.