The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006, 08:58 PM   #16
Karenv
Slacker

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
It's the only country I know of that still practices voodoo.
Well I live in NYC and there are lots of people who practice that religion or Santeria or African or Brazilian forms of it. Vodoun exists all over.

And they don't just shake chicken bones at tumors. But show me a religion that practices surgery on osteosarcomas.
Karenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:36 AM   #17
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Actually, it is. Haiti is a third world country just off our shores. It has suffered several unstable predatory dictatorships that benefitted the Duvalliers and made a poor people poorer. They don't have a tourism industry, which could help improve conditions from the influx of nice juicy dollars and euros, but the place is so dangerous that nobody wants to go there.
True.

I was thinking more in terms of exposure to or knowledge of more developed countries rather than being in the outback or out-yonder somewhere.

She finally got the surgery by her father seeing something on TV. What surprises me is that no even thought of this before!

The faith that people have in the good God and evil Devil is not something I would dare mock. We already know we can make ourselves believe anything we want to believe, even to the point of making ourselves extremely ill or healing ourselves. Beyond that, well, I've seen enough to believe that there is more out there than we can sense -- good and evil.

Still, what must it do to this girl's mind to have lived like this for most of her life? I just can't imagine the trauma of having her life change so radically. The tumor grew on her as the rest of her body grew, so she probably just adapted, but now she is completely different. She has so much to relearn . . .

It hurts just to look at her . . .
Old 11-30-2006, 01:40 AM   #18
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saknussem
and getting back to the exciting topic of whether the conduct of an offeree will constitute assent under the circumstances if they are directed towards fulfilling the conractual obligation.
I said "yes" but hubby corrected me and said I was thinking of statutory law while you are referring to common law.

BTW, he WAS a lawyer (8th year), is now a headhunter, and he's come to the conclusion that every person that enters law school should have their head examined!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:59 AM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Heh. We have recently acquired American-style evangelist groups in the UK.
Those people are extremely dangerous, because the methodology of whipping the crowd into a collective frenzy, is fun for the crowd. The "keep the party going", "don't be a wet blanket", peer pressure will cause people to accept any ideas proffered without analyzing them.
Everyone has seen newsreels of this principle in action..... Hitler, Castro, Ayatollah Khomeini, David Duke, etc.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I knew a very charming Christian lady who believed the devil had caused a fire in her house, but that God had turned the siutation around for her (neighbour had the day off and noticed the smoke very quickly, house was due redecoration anyway and the work was all covered by the insurance etc)

Although it didn't conform to my view of the world, I was glad she had those thoughts to comfort her. The only thing that disturbed me slightly was that she felt she had been tested - that the positive outcome was proof of her faith. Which made me wonder whether she thought people who owned houses that burned to the ground were sinners. I didn't dare ask her.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #21
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

wow
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #22
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

My cat has a tumor about the size of my fist potruding out of his side. I will probably have him put down today. I am sorry for the girl. I think if they can save a face they can save my cat?

That picture is incredibly amazing.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #23
SPUCK
Professor

As much as I despise cats I am truly sorry for you skysidhe.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #24
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK
As much as I despise cats I am truly sorry for you skysidhe.
Ditto.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #25
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama
It isn't like Haiti is so far removed from modern society or anything.
Oh yes it is, they are VERY far removed from what we take for granted. They've got it all over the worst rumor you ever heard about Arkansas. If you watch Univision's news programs, you will soon come to the conclusion that the most grotesque deformities and birth defects are right at home in Santo Domingo, which shares the island with Haiti. I can't imagine if it is the filth or whether inbreeding has caused it, but it seems there are villages full of people like these. The most tragic thing about it is the rate at which they continue to breed, sometimes creating entire families of monsters, and even the most hideously deformed girl always ends up pregnant, usually due to rape. You have to wonder why they allow people to photograph them, I guess the money and attention they get from the yellow press reporters is practically the only income they have
Old 12-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #26
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
If you watch Univision's news programs, you will soon come to the conclusion that the most grotesque deformities and birth defects are right at home in Santo Domingo, which shares the island with Haiti. I can't imagine if it is the filth or whether inbreeding has caused it, but it seems there are villages full of people like these. (
So, in other words, this was so normal to them they didn't do anything about it???

Now THAT is scary.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #27
i_rox_this_world
Rapscallion

some things you laugh about
this isnt one of them!
your an asshole lumberjim
i_rox_this_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:54 PM   #28
i_rox_this_world
Rapscallion

poor girl with tumor on face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
dont make fun of her man
thats just low and tight
get a life
i_rox_this_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #29
LJ
i am myself

yeah....what a dick!

you tell him rox!
LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #30
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

him rox him grammar
but him low and tight (whatever the fuck that means)
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote