The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #451
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
that clip may be quite apropos, IM.

I was thinking about depression. I don't remember hearing any poor people complain about it. It seems to be a rich person problem, doesn't it?

I'm wondering, that if people don't have enough adversity in their lives, are they somehow driven to create it? His money could have been his black gloves. any thing he wanted, for years and years.... he could get it, because he was so rich.... but did that take all the reward away, all the joy?

is that WHY he was into cocaine and drinking.... the loss of control? when in his normal life, everything was TOO easy?

Poor people are too busy surviving to worry about how depressed they are. they don't dwell on their sadness. they have to get to work, and to do that, they have to get their car fixed, so they have to get up early and jump the battery again... and then go to the laundromat to clean that uniform, and get the kids off to school, and what are they going to eat tonight, there's only $17 until payday....

I bet they sleep just fine when they finally lie down in bed.
Jim, have you ever been poor? What's the longest you've been unemployed? Ever been homeless? Ever lived, literally, on the street? Have you ever suffered from depression? I mean the disease...not when you felt down last time the Cowboys lost.

If you are not experienced in those things, I do believe you are speaking out of your ass on this.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #452
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I remember in one of Robin Williams' stand up shows he was talking about how his cat got into his stash of drugs.

He found the cat sitting up in the corner, with his back against the wall, staring at his paws going "Me-, me-, goddammit, how does that go again?"

The absolute manic energy that man had at times...

And who could ever forget Bogie & Bacall?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #453
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Jim, have you ever been poor? What's the longest you've been unemployed? Ever been homeless? Ever lived, literally, on the street? Have you ever suffered from depression? I mean the disease...not when you felt down last time the Cowboys lost.

If you are not experienced in those things, I do believe you are speaking out of your ass on this.
I've lived in a van for 3 months. Was the happiest I remember being.

I am speaking out my ass, but not because I haven't been poor. Because I'm a happy person and I can't relate. That's why I phrased my comments as speculation.

I work my fucking ass off. Did 26 hours in the last 2 days. I get down like anyone else, it's just not chemical. It passes. Don't start taking tones with me. I'll beat you down and bring you up right.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #454
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Was the happiest I remember being.
VAN?!? You were the guy we wanted to be when we hit the lottery! You were the homeless elite! You lived in a mobile condo!

Quote:
I am speaking out my ass, but not because I haven't been poor. Because I'm a happy person and I can't relate.
I sincerely hope your situation in life enables you to remain this happy person. Rly.[/no tone]

Quote:
I work my fucking ass off.
As did I.

Quote:
It passes.
Right up til it doesn't anymore. Be wary.

Quote:
Don't start taking tones with me. I'll beat you down and bring you up right.
Didn't mean to come off 'toney'. And, I'd rather not be beaten.

You can lap my filthy bag, though. And, if mine ain't filthy enough for ya, ya can lap your own. Ya filthy bag-lapper.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #455
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

That's icky
Old 08-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #456
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

It's just lint.

It's not like there's an old piece of candy stuck under there...

Old 08-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #457
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

aaaaaghhhhh!

pass the brain bleach!
Old 08-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #458
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I work my fucking ass off. Did 26 hours in the last 2 days. I get down like anyone else, it's just not chemical. It passes.
That's the thing, in the past we always described a bunch of problems weighing on you as being depressed. Usually time and work would solve those problems and you'd feel better, but some couldn't.

Now all of a sudden there's a medical condition, chemical imbalance, they're giving the same goddamn name to. So when three people talk about depression, they could be thinking about something completely different, and cocksure they are right.

Another one, Autism. Most people had a rough grasp of what you were talking about when you mentioned it. But now, lo and behold, Autism is no longer a condition, it's a whole damn spectrum of conditions/problems, many with their own name. It seem half of clodfobble's posts on the subject are trying to educate people about the different points on the spectrum.

Language is a bitch, common language is impossible.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #459
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I can imagine Robin doing stand-up at the pearly gates: Sometimes after a trying day, all a person wants is a stiff belt and to stretch out.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #460
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I have heard this befor , RIP Sir , you were one of the good ones
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2014, 03:06 AM   #461
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Apparently, we aren't so far along on understanding suicide as we may be believe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28773734

Quote:
Robin Williams' daughter Zelda says she is leaving Twitter because of social media abuse after her father's death.

The 25-year-old posted that she was deleting Twitter from her devices "maybe forever".

It appears at least two people sent her "photoshopped" images claiming to show her father's body.

-snip-

British comedian Russell Kane told Newsbeat that he was "offended" by some comments made after the death of Williams.

"People's comments saying how selfish Robin Williams is for doing this, people just don't understand what depression is like," he said.

Fox News TV anchor Shepard Smith sparked criticism after suggesting the actor was a "coward" to kill himself.

Smith has now said he regrets using the word while speculating on air what Williams may have been feeling at the time, according to the Associated Press.

Meanwhile TalkSport has apologised after its radio presenter Alan Brazil said he had "no sympathy" for suicide.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:32 AM   #462
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

How can anyone consider that a person who commits suicide is taking an easy way out, running away from their problems, and such like. To get to the stage that you would actually take your own life can only be because, for you, it is the only way out. You are crushed mentally, physically, all treatments have failed you, life is unbearable, you believe you are a burden on the people you love. Suicide resolves it all and become justified as the logical solution. Yet all these thoughts, reasons and decisions are withheld - in your mind, depression is your lonely battle and so it follows that the resolution becomes yours alone too. How terrible and how sad.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #463
glatt

I think it's kind of a balancing act. You have to condemn suicide because the message should be that it's unthinkable. If you present it as a reasonable option to end depression, then more depressed people are going to choose it, causing more grief and anguish for their families and friends.

But that has to be balanced with compassion for the person who is hurting so much that it's the only path they can see.

We shouldn't condemn anyone for choosing suicide, but we also shouldn't praise them for it in any way, or put a positive spin on it by saying stuff like "at least now they found peace." Suicide doesn't solve anything. It's just game over.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #464
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I am still of the mind that suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness.

Still, I understand that there are many paths to that place. I have explored/lived many of those paths. These paths are wide, easy to find one's self on, and unfortunately, very well-traveled.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #465
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Fuck depression.

And cancer.

And arthritis, while we're at it.

Tags
bought the farm, dead not loved, famous corpses, karked it, kicked the bucket, pining for the fjords, pushing up the daisies, roadkill, sleeps with the fishes, taking a dirt nap, the dead zone, worm food