The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #181
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
If this info was on Limbaugh, I certainly wouldn't know as I have repeatedly said, I don't listen to him.
So you write for him?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #182
lookout123
changed his status to single

Still a one trick pony tw? I was hoping the election would take some of the vinegar from your soul.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #183
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

tw has no soul. Therein lies your mistake.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #184
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Looks like the Israeli's have learned a few things from us. The use of drones.

Quote:
Israel used unmanned drones to attack clandestine Iranian convoys in Sudan that were attempting to smuggle rockets into Gaza, Britain's Sunday Times newspaper reported.
The paper said that western diplomats confirmed that Israel attacked the Iranian truck convoys in late January and the first week of February in the remote Sudan desert, just outside the Red Sea town of Port Sudan.

The convoys had been tracked by agents from Mossad, Israel's overseas intelligence agency, the report added.

The Sudanese government said this week it was investigating the possibility that Israel was behind the deadly air strikes, but so far had found no proof.

Foreign ministry spokesman Ali Sadiq said there were two separate bombing raids against smugglers, killing about 40 people.

The Sunday Times said that had the rockets been delivered to Hamas, the militant Islamic group that controls Gaza, they would have raised the stakes in the conflict with Israel.

It quoted defence sources as saying the convoys were carrying Fajr-3 rockets, which have a range of more than 40 miles (65 kilometres), and were split into sections to be smuggled through tunnels into Gaza from Egypt.

"They built the Fajr in parts so it would be easy to smuggle them into Gaza, then reassemble them with Hamas experts who learnt the job in Syria and Iran," a source told the paper.

The main reason for using drones instead of manned aircraft to attack was that a convoy forms a "slippery" target, a source said.

"When you attack a fixed target, especially a big one, you are better off using jet aircraft. But with a moving target with no definite time for the move UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) are best, as they can hover extremely high and remain unseen until the target is on the move," the source said.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #185
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Looks like the Israeli's have learned a few things from us. The use of drones.
Actually you have it backwards. Israel was first in demonstrating the power and versatility of drones. The only America exception may have been a drone used by Missouri class battleships to help target their 18 inch guns.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #186
classicman

Ahmadinejad rips capitalism

Quote:
ASTANA (AFP) — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad lashed out on Monday at capitalism as a "failed" economic system and called for the creation of a new global financial order.

"I want to say that capitalist economics is false economics. Now they are trying to reform the system, the very system that caused the crisis," Ahmadinejad told reporters during a visit to Kazakhstan.
"We are interested in a new financial system based on justice. A real economic system."
In a fiery speech, the Iranian leader, speaking through a translator in Kazakhstan's capital Astana where he is on a state visit, accused the world's economic powers of burdening the world with their economic mistakes.
In a surprise move, Ahmadinejad became the first major world leader to back a plan put forward by Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev last month to create a single world currency.
"It's a wonderful proposal. We consider it a good and correct idea. The world needs a single currency, a real currency."
Nazarbayev first called publicly for the creation of a new global currency, the "acmetal," in an article published in Russia's official daily Rossiskaya Gazeta in February.

Ahmadinejad blamed Western immorality and shady financial instruments - he described their use as "selling paper" - for the global economic crisis.

"I want to say that this is a moral crisis and not a crisis of finances," he said.
Hmm, ok. So is this a possibility? It seems like a strange and improbable idea. Could this actually work? What about all the varying inflation, recessions, and so on.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #187
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

The United States won't jump on because it will just become a power issue. Whoever controls the currency can do whats best for their individual country or interests.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #188
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Actually you have it backwards. Israel was first in demonstrating the power and versatility of drones. The only America exception may have been a drone used by Missouri class battleships to help target their 18 inch guns.
Yes, Israel used drones to get the anti-aircraft positions to reveal themselves in the 6 day war.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #189
TheMercenary

Ahmadinejad has nothing but the purest of intentions when it comes to Iran and nuclear development for peaceful purposes.

Quote:
BREAKING: Chinese financier Le Fang Wei indicted in plot to send nuclear materials to Iran.

The Manhattan district attorney's office has smashed a sinister plot to smuggle nuclear weapons materials to Iran through unwitting New York banks, the Daily News has learned.

Officials plan to unseal a 118-count indictment Tuesday accusing a Chinese national of setting up a handful of fake companies to hide that he was selling millions of dollars in potential nuclear materials to Tehran.

"This case will cut off a major source of supply to Iran and it shows how they are going ahead full steam to get a nuclear bomb. Long-range missiles they pretty much have already," a law enforcement source close to the case said.

"We think it is one of the largest suppliers of weapons of mass destruction to Iran."

Experts say Iran, under the leadership of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, appears close to amassing enough nuclear material to make an atom bomb. A United Nations embargo bans Iran from acquiring the high-tech metals needed to make a long-range nuclear weapon a reality.

The indictment will outline the financial conspiracy behind 58 different transactions, including shipments of various banned materials from China to Iran between 2006 and late 2008.

Among them:

33,000 pounds of a specialized aluminum alloy used almost exclusively in long-range missile production.
66,000 pounds of tungsten copper plate, which is used in missile guidance systems.
53,900 pounds of maraging steel rods, a superhard metal used in uranium enrichment and to make the casings for nuclear bombs.
The recipient is believed to have been a subsidiary of the Iranian Defense Ministry.
The suspect, who is not believed to be in the U.S., set up four bogus import-export companies that did business with six Iranian shell firms, one source said.

"They took elaborate steps to conceal the identity of the shipper and the recipient," the source said.

The deals went through "several" New York banks, which cooperated when the alleged plot was uncovered.

"The New York banks were completely unaware," the source said.

Authorities first stumbled over the scheme seven months ago in an unrelated probe into Iranian money-laundering through Lloyd's, a British bank.

In January, Lloyd's paid a $350 million fine to settle accusations it "stripped" information from Iranian money transfers to New York banks, hiding where the cash came from.

Officials said they suspected that money was also used to finance Iran's nuke program.

"The important thing is to put sunlight on these deals," the law enforcement source said.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009...e_city_-2.html
Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #190
classicman

STOP it Merc. You know damn well its 85% mental midget, mission accomplished tinfoil hatted, beancounter Bush's fault.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #191
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Ahmadinejad rips capitalism

Hmm, ok. So is this a possibility? It seems like a strange and improbable idea. Could this actually work? What about all the varying inflation, recessions, and so on.
Not to take up for that whacko, but he has a point about capitalism and the damage we have caused worldwide with this crisis.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #192
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
Not to take up for that whacko, but he has a point about capitalism and the damage we have caused worldwide with this crisis.
Ahmadinejad does have intelligent views on some issues, but has completely idiotic views on others.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #193
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Ahmadinejad does have intelligent views on some issues...
Such as? His quasi-intelligent views are motivated and influenced by his wacky views.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #194
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Such as? His quasi-intelligent views are motivated and influenced by his wacky views.
His views on American foreign policy aren't overly extreme in my opinion. I didn't see much but when he spoke at that university two years ago (big news event), I didn't find a problem with much what was said. It is just the US news only focused on his completely idiotic viewpoints. The questions following his speech, what got printed and shown on TV, at that university had nothing to do with the actual speech, just the common gay and Israel questions that will boost ratings.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #195
TheMercenary

Yea, I thought a lot of the speech had not been publicized. But you know when you stand in front of the world and say some pretty stupid stuff as a world leader it is hard to recover from that. Look at Bush.