The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #10321
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Excellent news, Grav! And re Radar Love, all I can say is, OMG. The song each of us (born within a certain cohort) recalls in a personal way. I had a lot of autonomy in late high school (Canada) and that song resonates.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #10322
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Glad Grandmadigr is kicking ass... still think you should have slipped her some whisky though. The Mighty Ack! I fucking love it.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #10323
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Also, Grandmadigr is coming on like gangbusters, now. She's been moved to a swing bed facility. Last hip-break (couple years ago) she was there for a week and a half and went home.

Broke hip and wrist on the same side, about a week ago, wrist set and in a cast, hip pinned, and she walked across the room today.

Like I said, tough old bird.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #10324
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSicomoro View Post
Honest to God, the most difficult thing in all this is...what class should I take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you choose a class yet? Choose something that you think you might enjoy. Or maybe a fitness class....weight lighting, aerobics, uh....ballroom dancing? Hihi....Something that you won't have to study or study hard for. I made a mistake of taking Music Appreciation because this "smart" friend of mine said it's easy and she got an A in it. Well, I got a C because I didn't have the time to study although it wasn't a hard class. :roll eyes: So, yeah, choose something fun, fun, fun with not much homework, unless you like to study.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #10325
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Making me happy and mildly amusing me...

Minifob has a tough time sleeping, that seems to be getting worse as he gets older. It is a problem both of falling asleep, as well as staying asleep. We have developed a number of habits and routines over the years to try to get him a good night's rest... he listens to NPR (enough background noise to keep him from cycling through his own obsessive thoughts, but not interesting enough to keep him awake,) uses a weighted blanket, wears an eye mask, crunches a cup of ice to let some held-in stress out, and a million other things.

None of this shit works, for the record. He's in his room with the lights off by 8:30, but never falls asleep before 10:30, and usually around 4:30 in the morning I hear him get up and turn NPR back on. Even worse, he was on a prescription med for awhile that had him passing the fuck out, which was great, but it had other side effects and we had to stop it. Since then he gets even more frustrated because he remembers how easy it was to fall asleep during that short time, and he literally starts sobbing at his inability to sleep, which doesn't help with that whole, you know, relaxing thing.

Anyway. The happy part is, a few days ago we started trying an OTC supplement that is working like gangbusters for him so far. Extra bonus is it's a skin cream instead of a pill, so we get to avoid all the typical worries about digestive side effects.

The amusing part is that the stuff works so well, on the second night he took it, he literally fell asleep with his cup of ice still held aloft, and accidentally dumped ice water all over his own face and woke up screaming. We were trying so hard not to laugh at him... And even after cleaning up that catastrophe, he still fell back asleep a few minutes later!

Now the only risk is that he'll build up a tolerance and it will stop working. Crossing our fingers...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #10326
glatt

A skin cream! That's so cool. I hope it keeps working.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #10327
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There's nobody to blame, no white whale to focus on, just constant logic resistant medical staff and Insurance companies, who underestimate you. I don't know how you stay on top of it without becoming a straight jacket inhabitant.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #10328
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

What is the skin cream?

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #10329
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ETHER
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #10330
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

This stuff.

It smells funny and doesn't rub in perfectly. Minifob objected to how it felt on his hands (he doesn't have problems with the texture of lotion in general, just this stuff) so I rub it into his back for him, wearing a vinyl glove so I don't steal half the dose. It also ain't cheap, but one bottle lasts two months, and nothing he takes is cheap anyway.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #10331
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Sounds like cool stuff. Glad you found something that helps your son.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #10332
Griff
still says videotape

Excellent.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #10333
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
...he literally fell asleep with his cup of ice still held aloft, and accidentally dumped ice water all over his own face and woke up screaming.
I shouldn't have, but I did. Sorry. I feel for the boy, I've had serious sleep problems my entire life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
What is the skin cream?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
ETHER
..Hey, son, does this handkerchief smell like chloroform?..

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #10334
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
...It also ain't cheap...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #10335
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Cool. That stuff is an analog of Gabapentin, the stuff I take for RLS and sleep. I might try that instead.

That is so great minifob is able to sleep! Not sleeping is awful.