The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #16
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

OK, dude has been charged with mistreatment of dependent adult. I wonder what the definition of "dependent" is. Obviously, I would consider a dependent adult to be one who cannot care for themselves (in whatever fashion) and depends on others. Before she wouldn't get off the throne, would she have been considered dependent?

What an odd case.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #17
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Yea...Dependency is usually determined before arrests are made....There are no real facts in that article on why he was charged at all. Aside from "the closest law that fits" that's why. Dependency has been brought up in this case a couple of times, but no one has said whether dependency was legally filed, and whether or not it was determined before or after this alleged crime.

I want to know where he went to the bathroom and why she was still just his girlfriend.

Is it even legal to have a dependent in your household that is not married to you, a family member, or filed under legal guardianship status? The charges are bololgne. I think proving a girlfriend is a dependent of yours might actually be the illegal part....which is being done by the cops.

If life were that way- I could say all those boyfriends were dependent and write it down on my taxes. hah. If this case turns out that way I still may. Awesome. Go get some crazy boyfriends...I mean.."dependents".
Old 03-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #18
Shawnee123

I was thinking they meant "dependent" in terms of needing care, not in terms of filing taxes.

Any ideas/thoughts?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #19
glatt

Based on the little I've read about this case, if I were on the jury I'd have a hard time convicting the guy of anything. He didn't tie her up in there. She could come out at any time. She chose not to. He enabled her by bringing her food, but giving someone food isn't a crime.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #20
Cicero

Yea. Dependency is a legal issue, it is a term for needing care (disabilities), and taxes. Not something you slap on someone after the fact. I want to know how he proved his girlfriend was a dependent. That's what I want to know.

There is social dependency but you can't be hit with charges if it isn't documented and filed with the courts. You have to go to court, prove someone disabled, and then hash out legal dependency. They po'. I guarantee a boyfriend was not granted guardianship of a handicap.

It's impossible to claim a girlfriend as a dependent. Bullshit charge. Then every asshole I ever tried to date would have done it. You should see what they tried when they heard about common law marriage! ha!

I'm betting they (Sheriff and DA) decided she was a dependent after they found her in a bathroom. Because he admitted that she relied on him. Girlfriends are not your dependents and can't be proven to be. Unless you are involved with this case. Weird.

Last edited by Cicero; 03-20-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #21
Shawnee123

Those are my thoughts, pretty much. As weird as the whole thing might be, I can't see where criminal charges would stick.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #22
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I think the most he could be charged with is criminal neglect.
Kind of like a parent who lets their child die, knowing they are sick from whatever illness, without getting them medical attention.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #23
Shawnee123

This has me thinking: I can test the mettle of any future boyfriend by finding out how long it takes him to seek help if I won't get off the toilet. Well, he should seek help or run screaming, otherwise I don't want to date him.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #24
Cicero

No. See how long it takes for him to try and claim you as a dependent. If he says...Oh go ahead, sit there hon' you are improving my tax status this year, you know he's not the one for you. Heh. If she really was a dependent he got her food stamps too! Ha haaa!!! Maybe even her SSI or other checks for you know, bills.....I wonder if people still trade food stamps for crack.

You just sit there. I'm going to get your gov't check and take care of it for you.

I've been agoraphobic (severely). I'm not quick to blame anyone that has to deal with someone in that condition.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #25
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs
I think the most he could be charged with is criminal neglect.
You think that is a lesser charge than "mistreatment of a dependant adult?"

A brief Googling brings up this definition in a Washington state law code:

Quote:
(4) "Dependent person" means a person who, because of physical or mental disability, or because of extreme advanced age, is dependent upon another person to provide the basic necessities of life...
I know these people aren't in Washington, but I bet the definition in the state they're in is similar. They seem to be basing it on the fact that she couldn't feed herself, and by bringing her food, he was assuming care for her--in which case he had a responsibility to care better for her than he did. If he didn't want to care for her, he should have called the appropriate people even sooner.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #26
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

what's a half bathroom?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #27
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Toilet and sink only, no bathtub/shower.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #28
glatt

No shower or tub, just a toilet and sink.

Edit: Yeah, uh. What UT said.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #29
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

That's what we call a 'toilet' here, or lavatory, or crapper, or shithouse or loo.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #30
Cicero

Clodder...yea..that would be the definition..but legally care is not assumed because it needs to be defined so as to manage that handicapped persons care and to control abuses to that care. You may never assume legal dependency. For the protection of the handicapped and all others.

He was not legally obligated to the care of that individual. Socially she was dependent not legally a dependent.

If it is on record that she is a dependent of his and he signed a document to be her home health care provider or guardian so be it! But I don't think he did.

This is not to say that if you see or hear about anyone in this condition that you shouldn't call within a reasonable amount of time.....