The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Crazy day

CRAZY DAY! CRAAAAAAAAAYZEEEEEEEEE.

Last Scrip order for school. Have had to call up three times to add things. Big scrip order for pool also. called up once to add stuf to that. Those have taken me over 4 hours! The Scrip people think it's funny and recognize my voice now.

still gotta pay the swim coaches, do shitloads of banking, write my scrip news for the weekly newsletter, organize the Cedar Point trip, did I mention shitloads of banking? And I've done more laundry loads than i can remember. winter gear, hockey gear, sleeping bags....I'm on it.

Waaaaah!

time for lunch, I think I deserve the naughty thing, don't you?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
time for lunch, I think I deserve the naughty thing, don't you?
As long as you've checked the batteries, I say go for it girl!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Can you get me a glass of water, Mom? Oh, I just remembered I need a brand new bucket and a pint of vadka for school tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

What is scrip?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
monster

Fundraiser for non-profit organizations -we buy gift cards at a discount and sell them at face value. I've raised about $15,000 for the school this year and we're up to around $750 for the pool (who is new to scrip this year). With a profit of around 5% average, that's a lot of face value
Old 05-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hey monster, I've been meaning to ask, is there a parent company for your scrip program? Where do you get the bulk gift cards? Our school is really being devastated by the budget cuts, and could use some fundraisers that didn't put any additional burden on the parents...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
monster

yes
Great Lakes Scrip Center

as far as I can tell, they are not limited to the great lakes region. In my general research i did find another provider too, I think they were based on the east coast

http://www.glscrip.com/index.aspx
Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
monster

We also deal locally/directly with grocery stores and a few independant retailers. Whole foods gives 5%
Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
monster

yesterday i goofed off.. Which meant i had to do the job I was procrastinating in it's entirety today. it took nearly five hours, but I did it. ......Monday -busy with everything else type procrastination; Tuesday Interwebs, reading pottering nothing useful type procrastination. I'm Bi-Procrastinating! I have Alien blood!

Srsly, I had some weird bug in one of my quickbooks files that was not only crashing quickbooks on my new computer, but fucking it completely so a clean reinstall was required. it was still working fine on the old computer (same version of quickbooks), but the old computer is DEAD -it takes 20 minutes to start up. Finally found a way around it, got the file on this computer, and entered the 200+ checks I needed to bank.... . And I went to the bank (that took 45 minutes -they insist on scrutinizing every check and the effin' counter-bitch was deficient in her calculator skillz.)
Old 05-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

The Mrs (Pete) is running scrip for our school now. Our cash goes to tuition reimbursement and some families donate theirs to a scholarship fund. The woman who organized it previously (and is still the coordinator) set it up pretty nicely. I don't think they call anything in. They publish dates ahead of time, each school does an excel spread sheet and no stragglers! It is a 9 day turn-around the way they do it.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
monster

That is the easy way to do it for sure, and they have some nice software to help with that. If it's offset against tuition (which is they way most Scrip-using organizations work) it's really easy to get people to use the software and wait for orders. We don't work that way. the closest to personal you can get is specifying for a particular classroom. I tried and gave up on the software and use the marvelous excel worksheet I inherited and then order manually. I keep a $10,000 inventory and run a store weekly. My maximum turnaround is 9 days, but it's more like 2 for most orders and instant for store customers (for the school). But I took profits from $5,000 to $15,000-$25,000 per year, so that is obviously what we need. (turnaround was 2-3 weeks before). But we are weird and different.