The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #46
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I thought (and Clod or Flint can correct me here) that as part of Texas' statehood agreement lo those many years ago succession was always a possibility for them. They were so big and their hats, my god! were even bigger; I thought it was written into the Texas constitution of statehood or whatever the hell you call it that they COULD succeed anytime they wanted.

Texas, we hardly knew ye.

also, Key West tried to succeed but the stoners couldn't get it together to do it. They called themselves the Conch Republic. They were sick of cruise ships and their ilk walking their streets.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #47
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Secession and secede.

Sorry. It's one of my bugbears:P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #48
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

oh, thanks. I could't bother to google. I WAS an Englihs major ya know. (but it was a state school...so....)

Duh.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #49
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The republican war on women? What about the republican war *by* women?

Quote:
Arizona wife injures husband with car for failing to vote, allowing Obama to win: cops

An Arizona woman was so enraged over her husband’s failure to vote in last week’s presidential race — essentially blaming him for President Obama’s re-election — that cops claim she mowed him down with her car.

Holly Solomon, 28, was cuffed after allegedly injuring her husband, Daniel Solomon, 36, with her Jeep in a Gilbert parking lot Saturday morning, the Arizona Republic reported Monday.

Daniel Solomon told investigators that his wife “just hated Obama,” according to local ABC affiliate KNXV.

A Gilbert police spokesman said she “believed her family was going to have hardship” under a second Obama term. Although GOP challenger Mitt Romney failed to win key swing states in the election, he still earned Arizona’s 11 electoral votes.

And even if Daniel Solomon had voted for Romney or any other candidate besides Obama, it wouldn't have made a difference — a fact that apparently didn't matter to Holly Solomon.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...#ixzz2C7PPVjzr
Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #50
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
The tension between the profit- and ratings-driven right — call them entertainment-based conservatives — and conservatives focused on ideas (the thinkers) and winning (the operatives) has never been more evident.…

And the entertainers’ power isn’t just with gullible grass-roots activists who are likely to believe whatever nefarious rumor about Obama is forwarded to them in an e-mail chain — it’s with donors, too.
I like this observation, right on target. I believe that these two groups are not mutually exclusive and when these two motives are in conflict in a given speaker, it seems the profit and ratings always takes precedence.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #51
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

now there are 23 states petitioning. texas has far exceded the necessary 25,000 signatures and louisiana is getting close. another petition has been submited that any person signing a petition to secede would be stripped of their citizenship and exiled
Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #52
SamIam

America - love it or leave it!

And in the "Don't it turn my brown eyes blue" department: If Texas wants out, they'd better git while the gitting's good. Demographic studies predict that Texas will become a Blue State by 2024 if not sooner due to increases in the Latino population there.

Finally, it would appear that Southerners still cherish the thought that "The South will rise again." States that were once a part of the Confederacy are in the lead when it comes to the numbers of signatures on the various petitions to secede from the Union.

Last edited by SamIam; 11-13-2012 at 08:12 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #53
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
now there are 23 states petitioning. texas has far exceded the necessary 25,000 signatures and louisiana is getting close. another petition has been submited that any person signing a petition to secede would be stripped of their citizenship and exiled
I'm on the fence with this one. On one hand it's a free speech issue. On the other hand signing a petition to secede is pretty close to renouncing one's citizenship.

Of course, maybe all of these guys would be happier playing 'great white warlord' in a compound in Somalia. Stockpiling AK-47s and tons of ammo is legal there, or at least ignored by a weak government.

On the downside, their president would really be a liberal black Muslim.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #54
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I've always wondered... if Texas does leave the US and become its own entity, how would they stop Mexico from invading and retaking land they once had up through 1836? Does Texas have an army? They won't be able to use the US army, oh no. They'd have to ask for assistance and then there would be 'occupation' to make sure Mexico stays where Mexico is. Or would they request we 'nation build' so they can take care of themselves, because they couldn't when they left the union in the first place?

Or would they allow the current US bases to stay and enjoy by-proxy US protection without actually being part of the country?

And I know they have oil and cattle and some farms there, but what else would their GDP be based on? Tourism? Could US citizens get in on a driver's license or would passport be needed? Would they even have open borders?

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #55
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

This popped up on my Facebook feed, and, although I'm pretty sure I've read it before, it sort of fits...right about now.

Quote:
Dear Red States:

We're ticked off at your Neanderthal attitudes and politics and we've decided we're leaving.

We in New York intend to form our own country and we're taking the other Blue States with us.

In case you aren't aware that includes California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Maryland and the rest of the Northeast.

We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation and especially to the people of the new country of The Enlightened States of America (E.S.A).

To sum up briefly: You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states.

We get stem cell research and the best beaches.

We get Andrew Cuomo and Elizabeth Warren. You get Bobby Jindal, Mitch Mcconnell, and Todd Akin.

We get the Statue of Liberty. You get Opryland.

We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.

We get Harvard. You get Ole' Miss.

We get 85 percent of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs.

You get Alabama.

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue. You get to make the red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition's, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms.

With the Blue States in hand we will have firm control of 80% of the country's fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the nation's fresh fruit, 95% of America's quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90% of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the US low sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools, plus Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT.

With the Red States you will have to cope with 88% of all obese Americans and their projected health care costs, 92% of all US mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a theory, 53% say that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you crazy bastards believe you are people with higher morals than the rest of the planet.

We're taking the good weed too. You can have that crap they grow in Mexico.

Sincerely,

Citizen of the Enlightened States of America
Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #56
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Now there are petitions in all 50 states. Texas and Louisiana have the required number of signatures that will force the Executive Branch to respond.

How will the Enlightened States pay for all of their social welfare programs? A higher percentage of people in Red States pay taxes. Somebody will have to pay for all those free cell phones.

Oh, did I mention we will take the majority of nuclear missles with us?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #57
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Actually, no. The red states have a higher percentage of people using government aid than the blue states do.

Moochers

And the highest tax producing states are actually blue.

Subsidizing...

Oh, and those cell phones? That plan was begun back in 1996 and was not a cell phone, but a land line. The landline has since been updated to cellular for obvious reasons.

Obama Phone
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #58
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Now there are petitions in all 50 states. Texas and Louisiana have the required number of signatures that will force the Executive Branch to respond.
By laughing? What would they do?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #59
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

"Force the Executive branch to respond" isn't much. Just ask the guys who "forced" them to respond to a weed decriminalization petition.

And that was a serious issue.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #60
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'll bet Cambodia will let them in.

—James Barrie