The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #121
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Attached Images

Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #122
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

What a cool pic. Where did it come from?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #123
classicman

the interwebz
Old 03-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #124
classicman

U.S. ambassador calls findings on Iran nuclear program 'troubling'

Quote:
"Iran also still refuses to respond constructively to IAEA [International Atomic Energy Agency] questions about its past work to develop a nuclear weapons capability," the ambassador, Susan Rice, told a U.N. Security Council subcommittee that deals with ensuring sanctions against Iran are being enforced.

"The United States urges its fellow Security Council members not only to take note of the IAEA's serious findings but also to vigorously support the IAEA in its continuing investigations of these critical matters."

The IAEA is the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency that is charged with inspecting Iran's nuclear facilities.

Rice said Tuesday's meeting was "the Security Council's first session on Iran since the release of the IAEA director general's most recent report on Iran -- a report that makes it clear that Iran is still not complying with its international nuclear obligations, including resolutions of this council."

In February, the Institute for Science and International Security released a report based on the latest IAEA data. The Washington think tank said the data indicated that Iran has reached "nuclear weapons breakout capability."

However, an IAEA official who asked not to be named cautioned against drawing such dramatic conclusions from the data, saying Iran's stock of low-enriched uranium would have to be turned into highly enriched uranium to qualify as weapons-grade material. That hasn't been done, the official said.
There is more, but as I read it I heard a resounding F_ck You.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #125
sugarpop
Professor

You know, in all honesty, why should Iran not be allowed nuclear weapons? WE have them. India has them. Pakistan has them. Israel. Russia. Britain. France. China. As long as WE possess them, who are we to say they can't? Honestly? If I lived in Iran, I would want them just in case the US decided to attack.

There really is an air of superiority when some countries have things, but systematically try to keep other countries from having those same things. Yes, they are dangerous weapons, but in all fairness, which countries are on record with actually using them?

Oh, and what about North Korea?

Maybe if we changed the way we interact with other countries, they wouldn't be such a danger to us.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #126
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Because they arm terrorists, literally by the boatload. Because they can't be trusted not to sell designs and equipment to every prick in the world. Because every sane person on the planet is in favor of limiting proliferation. Because they would use them.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #127
sugarpop
Professor

And why do they arm terrorists? Why can't they be trusted? I mean really, let's look objectively at what this country, and other western countries, have done with regard to these kinds of things.

Why does Iran have need to fear us? Maybe because, along with Britain, we staged a coup d'etat and overthrew a democratically elected leader back in the 50s? Our actions DIRECTLY caused a backlash in that part of the world against us, and helped set off a revolution that allowed radical fundamentalists to gain power, and caused years of hatred and ill will against the west, simply because we coveted a resource that they had, but we wanted to control. What might have happened had we allowed them to develop on their own, without our interference? So we wouldn't have control of their oil. We seem to forget, it belonged to them.

Who armed that part of the world in the first place? Who sold technology to other countries? We, along with other western countries, armed Saddam Hussein with chemical and biological weapons, which he used against Iran and the Kurds, because at the time it suited OUR interests. How much misery was caused to the Persian people because of OUR actions?

And let's not forget, Halliburton has been accused of selling nuclear technology to Iran, and they certainly operated there until recently.

The truth is, we do things we think are in our best interests, like supporting one tyrant over another because they are more "friendly" to our political or societal needs at the time, until, they aren't anymore. Then they become our enemies. Why do have the need to control the entire world? Why can't we be satisfied with controlling our little corner, and leave everyone else to control theirs?

And, how can you say with a straight face that America is in favor of limiting proliferation when we are still developing new weapons?

Honestly, I am not trying to be argumentative, I am just trying to see things objectively from the other side.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #128
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Iran doesn't fear us because of what we did 60 years ago. Iran doesn't fear us period. If they truly feared us they wouldn't behave the way they do. And the youth of Iran and possibly the majority of the country loves the West and wants to be more a part of it.

Quote:
And why do they arm terrorists?
Where there is less rule of law, the people with the guns and the will to use them have the most power. Iran projects its own force operating in Syria, in Lebanon, in Gaza.

Quote:
Why can't they be trusted?
They operate outside of the normal diplomatic ways, spit in the face of the UN, spit in the face of the civilized world, threaten their neighbors, and operate under a barbaric belief system from the 9th Century.

Quote:
Who armed that part of the world in the first place? Who sold technology to other countries? We...
...didn't.

Quote:
And, how can you say with a straight face that America is in favor of limiting proliferation when we are still developing new weapons?
Which nuclear weapons in particular, can you name one?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #129
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Iran doesn't fear us because of what we did 60 years ago. Iran doesn't fear us period. If they truly feared us they wouldn't behave the way they do. And the youth of Iran and possibly the majority of the country loves the West and wants to be more a part of it.
I think its quite a stretch to say that "the youth of Iran and possibly the majority of the country loves the West and wants to be more a part of it."

What the youth and the perhaps the majority of the population of Iran want is a more democratic, less theocratic government, within the context of their own culture and history.

IMO, to believe that they to be like US is what gets US in trouble.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #130
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Here they are. You be the judge

Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #131
Redux

Quote:
Here they are. You be the judge

I could post vids of the hip hop culture or a religious youth camp or the jackass crowd and that wouldnt mean that most US kids want to be like any of them.

I'll say it again....its that arrogance that people of other cultures and beliefs want to be like US is what gets US in trouble.

They want free and more open societies....they want less religious extremism governing their lives. That doesnt equate to loving the West or wanting to emulate Western judeo-christian values.

Last edited by Redux; 03-13-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #132
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #133
Redux

Cool...I guess you have convinced yourself.

I dont share your conclusions.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #134
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You sure put a lot of deep consideration into that... posting 5 minutes after my 3.5 minute video, and 4 minutes after my 7 minute video.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #135
Redux

Quote:
You sure put a lot of deep consideration into that... posting 5 minutes after my 3.5 minute video, and 4 minutes after my 7 minute video.
LOL...probably very much like you reading the Rand report summary (or just a few sentences), rather than reading the full 250 page report, before stating your interpretation of the report.

I've seen the vids or other similar anecdotal vids and I've read reports on the "leanings" of the youth of Iran that offer a more comprehensive examination.