The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
joelnwil
Major Inhabitant

Dreams

I may be unusual, or not, but I have vivid dreams, and I have trouble distinguishing between dreams and reality.

Example 1: I used to ride my bike for long bike rides - 30-70 miles. In my dream, there is a path through the woods where many people bike. It is beautiful. I have biked there many times. Only after several dreams did I realize that the place does not exist.

Example 2: We remodeled a house in the Montrose area of Houston, Texas. That is for real. But in my dreams there was this other house. Much more complex in the floor plan. We worked on it in my dreams, and in each dream we did a bit more. It was very difficult for me to remember that the place never existed.

Anybody else in this category???
joelnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnwil
Only after several dreams did I realize that the place does not exist ... It was very difficult for me to remember that the place never existed
Perhaps it does.

Just like the song, you may be right, or you may be crazy.

Actually, unless the experience is directly interfering with your life and ability to do stuff, chalk it up to extremely vivid powers of visualization.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:03 AM   #3
Brett's Honey
whatever

Well..I was ready to say "thanks for the link, wolf", but then I read the link. Not what I expected, I guess. My only experiences with deja vu are stories my parents told me about things I said when I was around 4 and 5 years old, about being places before and about "when I was a little boy"...I personally have never really believed in reincarnation, but then again, it would seem to explain some things.. Not to derail the dreams thread.....
Old 03-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

You just wont believe this but....

I had this strong feeling of having read this thread before....even though it's new.

Then while reading the link, had a waking dream that I was having an epileptic seizure. Very strange.

And THEN..... THOUGHT that I woke up some time later to a strong woman smiling with black gloves on at some unknown state facility.

And THEN...was convinced that I was somehow connected telepathically with Saddam Hussein, Rush Limballs, Kofi Annan, God, some hijacker, and a football player.

Just a vivid dream.....or some parallel dimension?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:13 AM   #5
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
Just a vivid dream.....or some parallel dimension?
Nope, just the residual effects of some of the shit you drank in the Philippines
Old 03-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
And THEN..... THOUGHT that I woke up some time later to a strong woman smiling with black gloves on at some unknown state facility.
That one was real.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:41 AM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I've remember things from when I was little (3-4 years old) and I am not sure whether they are real memories or memories of dreams.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I remember that some people call me the Space Cowboy, some call me the Gangster of Love, and some people call me Maurice
Old 03-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
I remember that some people call me the Space Cowboy, some call me the Gangster of Love, and some people call me Maurice
'coz you speak of the pompetous of love?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:18 AM   #10
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
'coz you speak of the pompetous of love?
What the hell is pompetous, anyway. I tried miriam-webster on-line and got:

Quote:
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search box to the right.

Suggestions for pompetous:
1. palmettos
2. palmettoes
3. pamperos
4. pumpers
5. pompadours
6. pompadour
7. Pompadour
8. palmitates
9. proptoses
10. palmettes
Old 03-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The definitive explanation of the pompatus of love
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #12
Spexxvet

Isn't that plagerism?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #13
rtexanssane
Wiseacre Emeritus

Yes joelnwil i have the same kind of dreams about my home town. In my dream it is different, usually much bigger, but from dream to dream it is always the same, sometimes i am unsure if a certain part of my town really exists or is the dream version.
rtexanssane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #14
rtexanssane
Wiseacre Emeritus

Here is a thought.
If it is true that dreams are your brains way doing a sorting process by separating that which is destined for long term memory from that which needs to be discarded: Does this mean that people who dont remember their dreams are spending all their time with thoughts that need to be discarded?
rtexanssane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #15
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtexanssane
Does this mean that people who dont remember their dreams are spending all their time with thoughts that need to be discarded?
I don't remember many of my dreams, lately, and I've read it has mostly to do with the phase of your sleep cycle that you wake up in. I notice that if I wake up without an alarm, I tend to remember at least one of the dreams from the night, but during my normal work week I usually wake up completely blank.

Keeping a dream notebook next to the bed helps. I try to write down the really strange or interesting ones.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote