The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Call the election

This is NOT a discussion thread, any posts (apart from this one) longer than a few, non run-on sentences will be deleted by the mods (right mods? You've got m back on this?)

The point of the thread is like the celeb death pool; the point is to win. And you win by declaring in front of FSM, the cellar, and everybody who will win the next election.

Not who you want to win, not who you think should win, not who any pundits are saying will win, but who you think will be our next president, like it or not.

You may include a brief explanation as long as it doesn't exceed the first rule.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Barring any catastrophic event or sudden untimely death of any candidate, I call Trump as the next POTUS.

If you don't see why this is practically a fait accompli then you have insulated yourself from mainstream America.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Barring any catastrophic event...
That's what this election will be...a catastrophic event.

I predict Monica's ex-boyfriend's wife.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
glatt

I give Trump a 40% chance of victory to Hillary's 60% chance. I'm calling Hillary. I am sure that like most people, I surround myself with like minded individuals, but I have yet to learn of anyone I know in the real world or on Facebook that say they support Trump. Trump will win the GOP nomination though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I call Trump to win the GOP nomination, and then make a crazy-ass choice for running mate--like, Bernie, if Hillary wins the democratic nomination, and vice versa. Or someone completely out of left field who has zero political experience, but definitely liberal leanings.

Trump-plus-Dem-running-mate will win, and then Trump will resign immediately after inauguration and put his VP in charge. Because he's all about the power games, and the publicity, and the news cycle. Better than getting elected President? Getting to fucking pick whoever you want for President, with basically no one else's say so.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
glatt

I like that theory. I still can't imagine him wanting to run the country, so it fits my preconceived notions and I like it.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #7
glatt

What are the rules for Congress removing a President? They can impeach one without too much trouble, but actually removing one from office was a higher hurdle IIRC. (See, for example Bill Clinton.) I can see an outsider like a President Trump being removed by his "own party", especially if he chooses a running mate they like.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I like that theory. I still can't imagine him wanting to run the country, so it fits my preconceived notions and I like it.
Just needs his very own Cheney.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
Pamela
Deplorable

I'll call it for Trump. The cold anger has reached a critical level.
I like Clodfobble's theory too. I hadn't considered that gambit.

As an aside, a President (or Supreme Court Justice) cannot be impeached on a whim. They must be tried in the Senate for high crimes and misdemeanors or some such "good reason".
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Delegates aren't actually required to vote for who they're pledged to. They don't even have to vote for someone who was on the ballot.

I'd see that as a small but nonzero possibility if either Trump or Sanders win the votes; their respective party establishments really don't want them.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #11
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
As an aside, a President (or Supreme Court Justice) cannot be impeached on a whim. They must be tried in the Senate for high crimes and misdemeanors or some such "good reason".
Sure, but you know they can "trump" up some charges.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:27 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
This is NOT a discussion thread, any posts (apart from this one) longer than a few, non run-on sentences will be deleted by the mods (right mods? You've got m back on this?)

The point of the thread is like the celeb death pool; the point is to win. And you win by declaring in front of FSM, the cellar, and everybody who will win the next election.

Not who you want to win, not who you think should win, not who any pundits are saying will win, but who you think will be our next president, like it or not.

You may include a brief explanation as long as it doesn't exceed the first rule.
I love how a thread about our Democratic process pleading for authoritarian control has turned into a textbook example of anarchy.

I love you cellar.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:32 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Trump for the win. Unfortunately, I take him at his word so fascism to follow.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #14
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I have called every presidential election rite since 1964. I usually wait until after the conventions. But I will go out on a limb, and say Donald for the win. And then he quits 6 months in because he can't control congress.
I still want Bernie.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #15
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Want: Bernie
Will: Hillary

Elections go the way of the swing vote (typically moderates). I think (hope) Trump scares the living shit out of the swing vote, pushing them to Hillary.