The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-08-2020, 11:09 PM   #601
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Where will she park and carry packages and groceries from?
Old 05-09-2020, 03:53 AM   #602
glatt

An article I saw said the streets will still be open to residents. It’s just closing them to through traffic and keeping the heavy traffic on the arteries.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #603
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, through traffic, that's a help.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #604
Griff
still says videotape

We still are not getting enough N95 masks to the front lines.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...er/ar-BB13ROGF
Old 05-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #605
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
We still are not getting enough N95 masks to the front lines.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...er/ar-BB13ROGF

The ones we bought got "diverted at customs." I hope Trump gets a decent price from the Russians for them.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:12 AM   #606
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There's a factory in Texas that had 4 idle machines for making N95 masks. back in January he was getting orders for a couple thousand a month when suddenly he got orders for 700,00 in a week. He alerted the the government to this buying frenzy from overseas and offered to provide them to our country before exporting. First they ignored him then insulted him. Our government was buying them from overseas through American brokers for between $5 and $6 each. After the politically connected brokers pretty much exhausted their connection they finally gave the Texas dude an order for 1 million masks. He's charging them $0.79 each... and still has 4 machines standing idle.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #607
Griff
still says videotape

Old 05-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #608
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

First potential tropical storm appears to be headed for the gaggle of empty cruise ships hiding out at sea. It may form in two days. So far, most ships are remaining.

First four storms will be Arthur, Bertha, Cristobal and Dolly.

Meanwhile, the Port of Miami has all docks full of cruise ships. Maybe being resupplied? Or maybe preparing to restart operations?

From financial news, these cruise ship lines did not have problem raising money. Despite cries of bankruptcy, large corporations (even foreign cruise ship companies) can obtain all money needed from American financial markets. Its the little guy who banks tend to ignore.

Last edited by tw; 05-14-2020 at 11:36 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #609
Griff
still says videotape

Trump is in PA trying to gin up the anti-mask crowd. Lil'G started her vacation today. Unfortunately, one of her boys spiked a fever during her last shift and apparently a staff member had to go home with a fever today. 3 kids are being tested one negative so far...
Old 05-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #610
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Mitigation Observation

Verry ingteresting... if not yet clinically proven.

Quote:
This One Habit is Why Thailand Has So Few COVID Cases, Doctor Says

The coronavirus pandemic has had global reach, affecting most developed nations within weeks of it leaving the Wuhan province of China from which it emanated. But curiously, nearby Thailand has enjoyed an incredibly low number of cases, which has led Dr. Amy Baxter to believe that this one personal hygiene habit is the reason: nasal irrigation.

Yesterday, Thailand authorities announced zero new coronavirus cases, and zero [new] deaths as a result of COVID-19 while announcing plans to reopen the Southeast Asian country. Since the outbreak started, there have only been 3,025 reported cases of the coronavirus in Thailand, leading to only 56 deaths. These numbers are stunningly low considering that there are 70 million individuals that live in this favorite tourist destination.

Why are these numbers so low? Well, a vast majority of Thai people regularly practice nasal irrigation or the regular cleansing of their sinus with neti pots. And according to Dr. Baxter, that's made a huge impact.

In a recent interview with Best Life, Baxter noted the total deaths in Southeast Asian countries like Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam are particularly low. "Yes, they wear masks, and yes, they bow and don't shake hands, but the biggest difference between them and places like South Korea or Japan is that nasal irrigation is practiced by 80 percent of people," she says. Laos has had less than 20 reported cases, and Vietnam roughly 300.

After considerable research and talking to colleagues who focus on both ear, nose, and throat and pulmonary treatment, the CEO and founder of Pain Care Labs, added that she "believe[s] strongly that nasal irrigation is the key to reducing COVID-19 progression of symptoms and infectivity."

According to Baxter, recent clinical trials show that nasal irrigation reduces the duration and symptoms for other viral illnesses like flu and the common cold, though it hasn't yet been studied for COVID-19. Still, she has multiple reasons for believing that this approach can be effective in preventing coronavirus from worsening in a sick patient. "SARS-CoV2's viral load is heaviest in sinuses/nasal cavity."

There is a growing belief in medical communities that the viral load of COVID-19 is a significant variable in whether an individual gets sick or not. Baxter explained how the buildup of viral particles in one's sinus can inevitably lead to respiratory illness, but flushing it out once or twice a day "gives the immune system time to figure out what it needs while reducing the enemy."

For anyone exposed to or positive for COVID-19, Baxter offers the following specific self-treatment:

"Do a hypertonic nasal irrigation with 1/2 tsp. povidone-iodine in the a.m. and in the evening with 8 oz. boiled lukewarm tap water, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, and 1 tsp. salt per cup H20."

According to Dr. Baxter, there are now nine new registered trials trying this idea, including at Stanford, University of Kentucky, NYU Langone, University of Pittsburgh, and Vanderbilt among others.

In short, regular flushing of one's sinuses in the manner described above could be an effective way to keep the COVID-19 contagion from building up and entering your lungs and causing potentially fatal respiratory problems.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #611
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I've always thought that I could hold up under waterboarding for somewhat longer than average because I use a neti pot so often. It's basically just willfully drowning yourself in saltwater--but boy does it get the job done (the neti pot, I mean, not the torture.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #612
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

You should send that to the CIA as a suggestion for inclusion in their interrogation resistance program.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:46 AM   #613
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Verry ingteresting... if not yet clinically proven.
Hmmm... sounds like an easy change to make.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #614
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I've always thought that I could hold up under waterboarding for somewhat longer than average because I use a neti pot so often. It's basically just willfully drowning yourself in saltwater--but boy does it get the job done (the neti pot, I mean, not the torture.)
Worst tea ever, though.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #615
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Up your nose with a rubber hose.