The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #31
Griff
still says videotape

I wouldn't expect their care-taking to get better as their numbers decrease. There is an assumption that the people who stay with the Church will be the "better" Catholics more engaged better tithers etc... but I don't buy it completely. The choirs I remember were full of Vatican II types the CCD teachers a mixed lot the folks that showed up to work festivals were mixed some just neighbors not Catholics. A lot of the work that got done at our Church was just in the name of community not religion. I think the Bishops have so many yes men around them that they think the core of the Church are hard right true believers. We talked about leaving the Church a long time before we did it. The final straw was Lil' Griff's Confirmation. The Bishop decided it was time for a full-fledged wide ranging Cellar style abortion/small family rant instead of a coming of age conversation. I finally realized how unwelcome I was in a parish that was founded by my own Great great grandfather.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Also, if you happen to be going by at 5:25 on a Saturday afternoon, be careful. Those Catholics come zooming in at the last minute and they are almost late, so they aren't so careful about pedestrians. Nobody gets hurt, but it's a little annoying.
Same round here, children being dropped off late at St Louis school. Residential area (the convent and school were there first), narrow roads, parked cars and - obviously! - children about.

The cars take the sharp turn up the school drive at what I guess is nearly 40mph, without indicating and sometimes even talking on their mobile phones. And they have the temerity to have Child On Board signs in their cars?!

I'm not claiming it's a Catholic thing though. My C of E school comes with similar parents, to the extent we had to have a PSCO (police community support officer) outside of the school for a week, issuing tickets to dissuade people from dangerous driving/ parking/ abandoning their cars where they fancied. The driving changed temporarily, but bad habits are creeping back...
Old 07-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #33
glatt

It is a Catholic thing.

The idea is that you have Holy Days of Obligation. You are obligated to make an appearance. But you aren't obligated to stick around afterwards for coffee hour. So they zoom in at the last minute, and roar out as soon as it's over. I know, I used to be one.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #34
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
It is a Catholic thing.

The idea is that you have Holy Days of Obligation. You are obligated to make an appearance. But you aren't obligated to stick around afterwards for coffee hour. So they zoom in at the last minute, and roar out as soon as it's over. I know, I used to be one.
I used to be one, too.

Then I woke up.

Pope Shnope. Fuck em all.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #35
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
It is a Catholic thing.

You're a Lutheran, aren't you. Lutherans have coffee hour. Catholics have breakfast a a diner, since they've had to starve themselves for at least an hour before mass started so they can take Communion (It's like swimming). So, actually, they are rushing out to be first in line.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #36
Griff
still says videotape

I actually had a short frank talk with Dad about this a few minutes ago. The regular priest was out yesterday and the replacement from the diocese gave them a talk on the evils of cafeteria Catholicism.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #37
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Ibs can be a Sister of Perpetual Indulgence.
Derek Jarman is one of their saints.
Apparently Methodists and Lutheran in Lake Wobegon, MN don't have all these problems. Maybe Cardinals should spend more time listening to "A Prairie Home Companion" every weekend for better ideas. Just think. It might even inspire a Vatican III.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #38
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Ibs can be a Sister of Perpetual Indulgence.
Derek Jarman is one of their saints.
They were featured at the Rat City Rollergirls bout last month:

Quote:
The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Abbey of St. Joan are selling special roller derby-themed CHAMPIONSHIP BINGO cards, and all of our fans are invited to play for a chance to win awesome prizes. Look for the Sisters’ table on the KeyArena concourse to buy a bingo card, or an autographed Anya Heels poster! All proceeds from bingo and poster sales go to help Lambert House. Then, catch the sisters after the game performing at The Funhouse!
Name:  IMG_7437sm.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  124.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7431sm.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  101.2 KB
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #39
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

... with holy fire in their eyes

Here's a NY Times with a bit of history and an update.

The women of the 60's are now grey-haired, but still on the movement.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #40
Griff
still says videotape

Nice voice! Will these old nuns outlive Rome?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Possibly the pope will learn why you shouldn't piss off the people that choose whether or not to starch your underwear.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sister Sherman fights back.

Quote:
When Kathy Sherman was in college during the final years of the Vietnam War, she played the guitar with friends in her dorm room and sang folk and protest songs over bowls of popcorn. They sang Peter, Paul and Mary and Joan Baez, and some friends said her voice reminded them of Judy Collins.

Ms. Sherman graduated and joined an order of Roman Catholic nuns, the Sisters of St. Joseph of La Grange, but she never stopped making music. Last spring, when the Vatican issued a harsh assessment of the group representing a majority of American nuns accusing them of “serious doctrinal problems,” Sister Sherman, 60, said she responded the way she always does when she feels something deeply. She wrote a song.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #43
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

somewhat off topic...

The Pope now has a twitter handle @pontifex.

Quote:
The move is aimed at drawing in the Roman Catholic Church’s 1.2 billion followers, especially young people. “The pope’s presence on Twitter can be seen as the ‘tip of the iceberg’ that is the church’s presence in the world of new media,” the Vatican said in a statement.

Just do not expect the pope to start following you on Twitter or retweeting your posts, Greg Burke, a former Fox News correspondent in Rome who was named a Vatican communications adviser this year, said at a news conference. “He won’t follow anyone for now,” Mr. Burke added. “He will be followed.”
*chuckle*
Old 12-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #44
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Being the pope and all, you'd hope he was following someone!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #45
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
It will be interesting to follow...

NY Times
By LAURIE GOODSTEIN
Published: April 18, 2012
Vatican Reprimands a Group of U.S. Nuns and Plans Changes
Another WOW !

I'm not a member of the Catholic Church.
But I do think it's important to follow the politics of this Church
because it affects the politics of so many countries.

Today, there are announments of the new Pope that are truly important...

NY Times
By JIM YARDLEY and JASON HOROWITZ
Published: December 16, 2013

Pope Replaces Conservative U.S. Cardinal on Influential Vatican Committee
Quote:
ROME — Pope Francis moved on Monday against a conservative American cardinal
who has been an outspoken critic of abortion and same-sex marriage,
by replacing him on a powerful Vatican committee with another American
who is less identified with the culture wars within the Roman Catholic Church. <snip>

To replace Cardinal Burke, Francis chose Cardinal Donald Wuerl of Washington,
an ideological moderate with a deep knowledge of the Vatican but also with pastoral experience.
Father Reese noted that Cardinal Burke had been a leader of American bishops
arguing that Catholic politicians who support abortion rights should be barred from receiving communion,
while Cardinal Wuerl had taken an opposite tack.<snip>

The pope also removed Cardinal Justin Rigali, the former archbishop of Philadelphia,
from the Congregation for Bishops. From his committee post, Cardinal Rigali has long been
a crucial player in shaping the American hierarchy. He stepped down as archbishop
of Philadelphia amid a scandal over his handling of priest abuse cases there. <snip>

Some recent appointments have disheartened liberals within the church,
particularly the pope’s choice in October to approve the Rev. Leonard Blair as the archbishop of Hartford.
He was central in a doctrinal investigation that reprimanded a group of American nuns
who were deemed to have drifted from church teaching.
<snip>

Since his election as pope in March, Francis has received glowing news media coverage
and widespread adulation from the faithful for putting a kinder, more inclusive face
on a global institution that had been widely perceived as out of touch.
He has expressed an intention to reorganize and overhaul the Roman Curia,
the bureaucracy that governs the church.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote