The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 10-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #376
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Rovercraft!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #377
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hoverover!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #378
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Hoverover!
Judging by the number of military 'Top Brass' chaps in that photo, it was probably considered to be a viable project at the time.

Anyway, here's a couple more:

The photos, taken from various British trade and business-to-business media titles including Motorcycle News, Speed & Power Magazine and Nursing Times, document Britons trying to invent the next big thing.

Gyr King, founding director of Easyart, said the collection is a "hidden gem of British social history". He added: "The vast majority of these images have remained unseen for several decades and shine a light on the extraordinary inventions, machines, people, places and events in Britain's past."
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #379
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

One must remember to wear proper attire when taking one's fancy fucking boat out of one's fancy fucking boat.

Name:  luxuryboatinluxuryyacht.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  93.6 KB

Old 10-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #380
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Judging by the number of military 'Top Brass' chaps in that photo, it was probably considered to be a viable project at the time.
What? Not consider everything from Rover serious? Rover which gave Queen Victoria the Safety Bicycle, WW I motorcycles for Old Blighty and Russia, WW II gas turbine engines, not to mention the Land Rover to add an inch or two on every swinging dick in the land. Pshaw I say, even in peace time.

I guess the military wasn't buying though because it was offered to the common rabble as a kit, in the sixties.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:03 AM   #381
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
What? Not consider everything from Rover serious? Rover which gave Queen Victoria the Safety Bicycle, WW I motorcycles for Old Blighty and Russia, WW II gas turbine engines, not to mention the Land Rover to add an inch or two on every swinging dick in the land. Pshaw I say, even in peace time.

I guess the military wasn't buying though because it was offered to the common rabble as a kit, in the sixties.
And this:

I'd almost forgotten about the gas turbine powered Rover car. I remember seeing it in the London Science Museum during a childhood visit. It appears that it is still on display.

Science Museum Blog

Rover gas turbine car JET 1, 1950
Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #382
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
... I remember seeing it in the London Science Museum during a childhood visit. It appears that it is still on display. ...
Yep, in June this year:

Name:  jet1.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  166.6 KB

But the furriners are gaining ground, only a few hundred metres away:

Name:  scr_lambo.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  131.2 KB

(I understand there is a Lambo showroom in the area.)

Last edited by Scriveyn; 10-05-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Lambo
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #383
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'd druther have the Rover if it was modernized and reliable. But I'm afraid going anywhere would be as complicated as taking the Stanley Steamer, after snipping the balls off the moths.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #384
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriveyn View Post
Yep, in June this year:

Attachment 49230
Thanks for the Rover picture, Scriveyn. That brings back memories, although I'd rather not spend too much time working out exactly how long ago it was that I saw the car 'in the flesh'.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #385
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
...after snipping the balls off the moths.
This reminds me:

A couple months ago I had occasion to use the old joke "Have you ever smelled mothballs?" Of course, the guy said "Oh, yeah." And then I issued the punch line "How'd you get their legs apart?", and the guy says "Huh?".

I said "Their legs, how'd you get 'em apart?", and he shakes his head and goes "Do whut now?".

I had to draw him a picture (almost literally).

Old 10-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #386
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Then & now...

Name:  thennow.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  73.6 KB

Old 10-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #387
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

That Sony pic was taken only seconds before the tree branch snapped, and he plummeted 40 feet to a spine snapping death.

The birds fluttered around, saying "I tawt I taw a puddy-tat!"

-------
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #388
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Cellar, meet 'Marley The Ridiculously Photogenic Pup'.

Name:  thisdog.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  58.4 KB

Old 10-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #389
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Cute lil "guy"
Old 10-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #390
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Obviously a publicity shot. I think it was for the mayor's push to vaccinate New Yorkers against Smallpox, which had reared it's ugly head.
Attached Images