The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-29-2003, 06:46 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Katherine Hepburn Dead at 96

I'm not going to say too much about the passing of Katherine Hepburn today at age 96. What is there to say?

She won an unequalled four Academy Awards, and was nominated for a total of 12 while starring in some of the greatest films of all time. From flighty ingenue to regal nobility, no part was beyond her. Equally comfortable with farcical comedy and heavy drama, her beauty and grace were matched by very few other actresses. Frank and outspoken, Ms. Hepburn was a liberated woman long before society began to accept the concept.

Some years ago, I read her autobiographical tale about the making of my favorite Hepburn film, "The African Queen". It is a keen and loving insight into the heyday of big Hollywood stars, back when the contract system still ruled, and directors like John Huston were all-powerful and extremely eccentric. I highly recommend this book, entitled "The Making of the African Queen: Or How I Went to Africa With Bogart, Bacall and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind". Astounding, just astounding.

The passing of my favorite film icons always make me a little bit misty. Ms. Hepburn's passing leaves me totally morose. Thank you, thank you Kate, for so much good work, for so many laughs, for so many entertaining evenings.

Patrick

Last edited by Elspode; 06-29-2003 at 06:49 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:47 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A real class act, Ms Hepburn.
I wonder if she could make it starting out today, where acting ability is secondary to how you look naked?
Old 06-30-2003, 12:52 AM   #3
Elspode

I'll bet she could...she was pretty hot stuff when she was a young woman.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:05 PM   #4
Odd_Bloke
Resident Denizen

*looks stupid* WHat films was she in? *is only 15*
Old 06-30-2003, 02:41 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

She was in a ton of films primarily from the 30s to the 50s, but younger folks may remember her in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (1967) and On Golden Pond (1981).
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 04:46 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I'll bet she could...she was pretty hot stuff when she was a young woman.
True enough but I wonder if she would have tolerated the demands of the moguls to get naked.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:33 PM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

Katherine Hepburn was great because she always played a woman with a sense of humor and a brain. No pushovers. And she would wear pants and snort when she laughed. Gotta love that.

Rent some Hepburn, or I bet the movie channels will be paying homage...
"Desk Set". I love that movie. They get hammered and its great. You can see why she fell for Spencer Tracy.
"African Queen" with Bogart is just wonderful.
"Philadelphia Story" is swell- and its got both Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant being fine.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:21 PM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Odd_Bloke
*looks stupid* WHat films was she in? *is only 15*
Well, one of the best websites to come out of England is the Internet Movie Database. It lists movies (and TV shows and some live action video games). Its a great way to look up movies and actors (I'm trying to get into this trend of using 'actor' for both males and females).
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 11:32 PM   #9
Elspode

IMDB is one of those web sites that you use once, and then wonder how you survived this long without it...

I can honestly say that my enjoyment of film (and especially film history) has increased about 1000% since I discovered IMDB. I use it almost daily.