The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

View Poll Results: Where to live?
IR, Tehran 0 0%
UK, London 12 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2006, 07:21 AM   #1
behnam
Person Who Has Posted

Lightbulb UK, London vs. Iran, Tehran

Well, I’m currently live in Iran (a uni. student as an IT/ programmer) and occasionally in UK, London due to my older brother who lives there since he was 8 (he’s almost 29 now) and presently I doubt whether each place will be any better to live. You know, living in Iran has its own advantages and disadvantages as well and I want to know other’s opinion; so I’m going to explain themin short below.

About Iran’s advantages; first off, I was born in Iran and here I know the environment better. Living is cheaper (a pizza for ~$3.5, etc.) and ummm… briefly, I feel native here.
And on the other hand, so many things as disadvantages such as lack of democracy, poor technology, etc. etc.

And UK; everything is ready for improvement, better for study but living is more expensive of course and I should start something from the beginning.

That’s all for now,
any one pls?
behnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hi behnam, your IP address checks out as Tehran, welcome to the Cellar!

Sorry I had to check it but we have had a lot of people tricking us.

London is one of the finest cities in the world, and study is the most important thing you can do for yourself.

Material goods, you can lose or people can steal from you. Education, you never lose and it cannot be taken away.

The Iranian people, the Persians, are beautiful and strong people. Go, go to London and share the best of yourself with the west and share in the best of the west. We all benefit. For instance you will find that the best food in London is Indian food. The west accepts and shares other cultures now and it is a beautiful thing.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Tagging on to Undertoad's theme...

London is (so far as I am aware) one of the most multi-cultural cities we have on our planet. Give or take a few hiccups - brought on more by government ineptitude than any deep-seated hatred amongst the inhabitants - there's genuine racial harmony. This inspires London dwellers to offer a taste of the cultures of their nations - made available for all to enjoy.

And so we have food from all over the world available for sale in stores and to consume in restaurants. We have community clusters where one or other a culture is predominant allowing the rest to witness that lifestyle in microcosm. Mosques reside alongside cathedrals and abbeys, cathedrals and abbeys alongside synagogues.

The cost of the London lifestyle may be comparatively expensive, but it probably only reflects the variety and density of choice that exists. One has to weigh this against the advantage of a free health service and access to some of the best education in the world - not only through its universities, but also via its museums and theatre.

London is still also, of course, one of the major, if not the major, financial centres of the world - and that's covering international banking and finance, insurance, shipping and transport, and commodities.

On the negative side (and this is as much to do with the country as a whole as with London itself) we do suffer a growing crime rate brought about by government legislation that seems to have lost touch with the reality of what is genuinely really right and what is genuinely wrong.

Back to the positive, above all we still have, in spite of government moves to trim this because of the bombings last year, true freedom of speech. I think that might not be so prevalent in Tehran...
Old 06-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Behnam, You've lived in both so I think you are most qualified to answer your own question. My wife was born in Iran and lived there 10 years under the Shah but left shortly after the revolution. Her biggest problem right now with Iran is the lack of women's rights under the current regime. Under the Shah, Iran led the middle east in the area of women's rights. My wife's aunt, for example was a judge and her mother was the principal at a local Tehran elementary school.

She speaks very highly of Iran as a country and a culture but doesn't think very highly of the current government. If the restrictions on your liberties are an acceptable trade-off for you than I could understand preferring Tehran over London. However, I think you have a lot more upside potential in Europe or the states. In Iran, there's only so far you can go.

But don't let anyone tell you what's best for you. Opinions vary but the only thing I would recommend taking into account on such a personal matter is your own instincts.

Oh, and Welcome to the Cellar!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
behnam
Person Who Has Posted

You're right

I’m really pleased for having you people around, thanks. Please pardon me for my poor English (and another disadvantage of living in London revealed here :-) )

And dear Beestie, thanks a bunch. I feel respect and heed in your text.

Evidently, current regime causes so many failures and problems and there’s really much to say about it. But it’s not my most critical problem now; As an instance: I do work with computers and it’s one of my most likes but, let’s take a look;
There’s not even a kind of international credit-card access, no copyright, no trusted hardware-brand. etc. etc.
Meanwhile, if London has only one street which calls “Portobello Road” and people are buying things with some haggling, here there’re more than a few type of those streets; on the other hand big shopping center(s) are increasing only just.

Personally, I do believe, governors want to place an umbrella above the country and keep everything LOCAL. So filtering is a profession nowadays in Iran.

Conversely, living in London, with only one person who I know, would be really difficult and maybe terrible for me (and maybe it’d get to be better later on)

I have an idea about both places that I want to share it here. As an Iranian individual, in my opinion, London is a great place to educate and study, getting a job, earning money, etc. but it would be a great act to return and spend them all in Tehran! Everything is much cheaper and with less “limitations”.

Anyway, there’re so many conditions to discuss about and that’s all for now.
I’m looking forward for ideas.

PS. Again, sorry for my English mistakes, please do advise me and/or drop me a line at any time; thanks.
behnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome behnam!

1- Iran could be very dangerous in the not too distant future.

2- London education (credentials) may be more marketable around the world.

3- Going to school anywhere should provide an opportunity to meet many people, and make new friends.

4- You are obviously, at least, bilingual, which is definitely a marketable skill.

Please stick around and let us know how, and what, you're doing.

PS- I voted for London, but I'm thinking about schooling. Once you finish school you may want to return to Iran to help bring change to your homeland.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 06-02-2006 at 07:35 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Buddug

Well , I would not live in London in a fit , and the only experience I have of Iran is Tehran airport circa 1975 , so I am hardly equipped to advise you .

Incidentally , did you know that 'Iran' means 'Land of the Aryans ? ' Rather chilling in a way .
Old 06-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

I guess I don't have much to add, but I will anyway. This is one of those times when immediate comfort has to be traded for long-term success. Even in these times, you'll probably find that university life is still open and welcoming. It will be hard at times but the experience will be beyond value. Go to the UK!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Nice post behnam

I have never lived in either London or Tehran, but as a feminist I have to say I would prefer to live in London.

Iranian culture has a lot to offer and the Persian history has a real romance to it but I couldn't live in a culture which holds womankind in a well-meaning but very real contempt.

DanaC
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote