The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 06-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #1966
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Anyone know why pictures w/green as the predominant color have larger file sizes?

Srs question.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #1967
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I give up
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #1968
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

the jpg compression isn't sensitive to color, but to complexity. your picture of the grass, if all blue or red or mauve would be the same size, but less complex (fewer different shades) pictures, green or otherwise would be compressed more.

there's a lot of green out there.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:03 AM   #1969
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Playing with your picture.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #1970
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I suspect the increase in size is when the image editor tries to preserve the JPG artifacts from the first conversion when resaving as another JPG.

As for the original question, I think humans can see more shades of green than any other color, so an image format super-optimized for the human eye might allocate more bits to green. I have no idea whether JPG does anything along those lines.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #1971
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Green is pretty much leaves, and/or grass. Do ya suppose all those textures/edges (for lack of a better word, edges of the leaves, edges of each blade of grass) make for a larger file?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #1972
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Yes; that's what BigV was saying. I was offering an explanation for why Bruce's picture increased in size after changing the color. JPG compression artifacts add even more edges and complexity to the image, in a way that decreases the file size during the initial encoding. But when the file is loaded into an editor, all of those artifacts become data, and when saving it off as a JPG again, they are treated as real complexity, making the JPG encoding work harder. Another reason the file size increased may be differing JPG quality settings between the initial and secondary encodings.

My second note was more of an aside; I don't think JPG does it. But, much as an MP3 throws away information about sound that humans have trouble distinguishing, an advanced image format could theoretically throw away a bit of red and blue in favor of green, to match the human eye. If such a theoretical image were primarily green, it wouldn't be able to throw as much data away.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #1973
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think you(and Big V) are on the right track. Saving from Photoshop as a medium or high quality look the same on my monitor. Probably because any detail lost wouldn't be noticeable in this picture. If it were a sharp finely detailed design, it would probably show.
I didn't think the variation in file size was significant except for the high quality Red & Blue, but the save quality choice is a slide bar from 0 to 12, so I might have fucked up sliding a hair further on that one.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #1974
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  tomandhen2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  183.6 KB

Old 06-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #1975
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Out the driver's side mirror:

Name:  DSCF6594ab.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  214.7 KB

That fence went on for quite a ways. It has barbed wire on the inside, to keep the critters off it, I suppose.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:30 PM   #1976
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, without the wire they'll stick their heads through to get the grass that's greener on the other side. That fence won't take much chest pushing.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #1977
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

GAH!! Factor: 7

Brace yourself.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #1978
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Orbweaver:

Name:  orbweaver.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  66.5 KB

That gruesome sumbitch was exactly Gravdigrface high. I almost walked right into him her it. Outside diameter a little bigger than a quarter.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:24 AM   #1979
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

did you check his cute little paws?
Old 09-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #1980
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

No, but I almost checked his insides.