I hear them call the tide

trac, how much do you earn?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #62
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
trac, how much do you earn?
absolutely nothing. for the last 18 months i was a male housewife throughout what turned out to be a way to long immigratoin process in canada and couldn't legally work, and before it got done - two weeks ago - my wife throw me out [of the country] with nothing. not even 2.75CAD for the bus to reach the airport. i had to go manchild mode and ask my mother to help with the tickets. now i am starting here from scretch. the only financial advice i can give is how to minimize expanses.

how about you?
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #63
monster

Don't be so rude. You're kind of bitter.... See why it's just best not discussed? No, maybe you won't....

- - -

Next on my list, sniffing in public -and I can let a delicate sniff to avoid a drip pass, but the whole suck-it-back-up-for-later-chewing-purposes, for fuck's sake go to the bathroom and get rid of that gloop. in private. ugh.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #64
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceur View Post
absolutely nothing. for the last 18 months i was a male housewife throughout what turned out to be a way to long immigratoin process in canada and couldn't legally work, and before it got done - two weeks ago - my wife throw me out [of the country] with nothing. not even 2.75CAD for the bus to reach the airport. i had to go manchild mode and ask my mother to help with the tickets. now i am starting here from scretch. the only financial advice i can give is how to minimize expanses.

how about you?
Ohhh, harsh! When my ex (Yank) and I split, he left the country too. I was PISSED. I had put a lot of time and money into getting him resident status and he was only 8 months away. He wouldnt stay until that time came.

Money wise he was ok, he didnt earn for 3 years and I supported him, when it came time for him to bolt off home to mummy, he had just started earning - so he cashed in all this earnings and took that with him.

Havent had a cent from him since

I have no problems talking about money, but I wont bring the topic up first.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #65
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Don't be so rude. You're kind of bitter.... See why it's just best not discussed? No, maybe you won't....
To be fair, from what Trace says discussing wages and stuff isn't considered rude in Israel. And he is communicating in a second language. Some of the subtleties of what specifically can be said about money before it becomes rude may not be apparent.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #66
monster

to be fair, I'm demonstrating how what's rude for one is not necessarily rude for another and vice versa.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #67
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

ur doing it well
Old 01-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #68
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceur View Post

how about you?
That sounds like a really terrible situation traceur. I hope you get back on your feet quickly.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #69
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I don't know if these people are just plainly not polite or it's simply not rude for Vietnamese people to:

1. Ask for your age.
2. Ask for you weight and/or call you fat. Sometimes you'd get a bonus with a description. example: Lola, your face is as round as a full moon!
3. Ask how much you make....yeah, seriously. Then that person will comment how rich or poor you are.
4. Ask how much your blouse, purse, shoes, whatever you have that that person is interested in knowing the price. Then he/she will say how rich you are if it's a costly piece of item. Well, costly or not is relative. And no, he/she isn't really interested in buying the inquired item. They just want to know how much you put out for your stuffs.

Is it okay for Americans to ask if a person is married or not or in a relationship or not? Just wondering because Vietnamese people will straight out ask this too.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #70
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

By the way, Traceur, sorry about your situation, man. I hope things will get better for you soon.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #71
it
Banned

thanks people, monster - good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny View Post
I don't know if these people are just plainly not polite or it's simply not rude for Vietnamese people to:

1. Ask for your age.
2. Ask for you weight and/or call you fat. Sometimes you'd get a bonus with a description. example: Lola, your face is as round as a full moon!
3. Ask how much you make....yeah, seriously. Then that person will comment how rich or poor you are.
4. Ask how much your blouse, purse, shoes, whatever you have that that person is interested in knowing the price. Then he/she will say how rich you are if it's a costly piece of item. Well, costly or not is relative. And no, he/she isn't really interested in buying the inquired item. They just want to know how much you put out for your stuffs.

Is it okay for Americans to ask if a person is married or not or in a relationship or not? Just wondering because Vietnamese people will straight out ask this too.
all the rules above pretty much apply to israel..

however something i noticed in canada & the US - no concept of.. "firgoon"... best defined as the social requirement to give compliments all around whenever there's a good reason.

so basically yes you can ask nearly anything, but you also need to say nice things when there is something nice to say, and not doing so is considered very rude & anti-social. in canada & the US it felt like the norm.

so when we do talk about finances, if someone tells you their heroic story of how they got their credit card company to giveup some of what accumilated from hidden interest rates, and you don't give a pet on the back, your an asshole.

same situation in the UK and i guess the guy whose telling the story is the asshole.

Last edited by it; 01-02-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #72
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Yeah, we don't typically like for people other than ourselves to be successful with finances.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #73
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene View Post
Yeah, we don't typically like for people other than ourselves to be successful with finances.
bingo. rude to ask and rude to divulge because you're generally trying to point out how much better off you are /or how much worse off you are (and it's not your fault) and they should feel sorry for you. You would never start a discussion about it if you expected people to be pretty much the same as yourself.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #74
it
Banned

Quote:
bingo. rude to ask and rude to divulge because you're generally trying to point out how much better off you are /or how much worse off you are (and it's not your fault) and they should feel sorry for you. You would never start a discussion about it if you expected people to be pretty much the same as yourself.
see the view here is that its information. ofcourse its ego related, but what you are showing off is the same thing you are showing off by sharing maintanance techniques and recipies.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #75
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

...people that call me "Babe" when Im assisting them at work.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote