The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
wrenicecream
Rapscallion

Moving but going on holiday

Hey guys!

So a unique situation here... I'm being forced to move out of my apartment in NYC soon, but I've also got a 4-month holiday booked to Australia... so I'm wondering what to do with all my stuff What can everyone recommend?
wrenicecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Fire is most efficient.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Craigslist
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
glatt

Craigslist is a good idea.

Pay to store it if you really want to keep it. Or sell it and don't be tied to your stuff. Buy what you need when you get back.

Storage fees in the NYC area have to be pretty high.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
Hopalong48
Colloquialist

sell it to the new tenent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Hopalong48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My cousin just bought a house like that... the previous tenant lived there two years and spent tons of money remodeling, then suddenly reconnected with her high school sweetheart and decided she had to move to Boston immediately to be with him. She left literally everything except her clothes--dishes, books, furniture, linens--and the house was sold to him as-is. He got a good deal.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
wrenicecream
Rapscallion

Some solid options there, but ideally I'd like to keep my stuff, rather than sell and buy all over again :/ What about PRODUCT NAME AND LINK REMOVED. -UT for storage units? Anyone know these sorts of things? Could be an interesting way to keep my things safe, with the only condition being whether I have the money to store the stuff and go on holiday Will have to research a bit more and check the budget...
wrenicecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Sorry wren, but especially if you claim to be in New York, but post from a German IP address, we don't allow you to post links that may be promoting a product.

We're protective of our community. We're really good at it. Tell your co-workers.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenicecream View Post
What about PRODUCT NAME AND LINK REMOVED. -UT for storage units? Anyone know these sorts of things?
LOL. Didn't see that coming.

Those enclosed storage containers the forklifts drop off next to your home and then pick up and take away seem like a neat idea. It would be very expensive to have the entire container delivered back to your home so you can retrieve that sweater you wanted, but if you are packing an entire home up for a year, there is an efficiency there.

Having so much crap you have to pay to store it is kind of ludicrous, temporary situations excluded. Better to live in the country where you have a barn to store it all, or else just simplify.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Storage containers like that can be problematic in cities, and I imagine New York City would be one of the toughest. But I also expect that the companies would have ways to manage that, and if you just want to pack and get it stored, it's probably not that much worse than a moving truck. It needs a big parking space, and you have to hope the door side doesn't get parked in. A moving truck can double-park, and you just need a big enough path between cars to get furniture through.

I would guess that monthly storage for a movable container is considerably cheaper than for a truck.

A storage unit (ie, a building) would probably be even cheaper, but also adds more time and effort packing and unpacking. But it's worth considering if you're not sure how fast you'll find a new place when you get back.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote