The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
dmg1969
I got nothing

I just love the irony of our free society. M.A. calls America The Great Satan (and Israel, The Little Stan) and calls for the destruction of both. Yet, we spend our taxpayer dollars to protect his scrawny, Member's Only wearing ass when he's here to attend U.N. functions. The funny thing is that most Iranians don't know about that. Let some nut take a shot at him or kill him while he's here though......

And, as for trying Bush for war crimes? Sure...right after you remove the sitting Treasury Secretary for not paying taxes and charging Tom Daschle. Oh wait...they're Dems, so that's OK.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
I just love the irony of our free society. M.A. calls America The Great Satan (and Israel, The Little Stan) and calls for the destruction of both. Yet, we spend our taxpayer dollars to protect his scrawny, Member's Only wearing ass when he's here to attend U.N. functions. The funny thing is that most Iranians don't know about that. Let some nut take a shot at him or kill him while he's here though......

And, as for trying Bush for war crimes? Sure...right after you remove the sitting Treasury Secretary for not paying taxes and charging Tom Daschle. Oh wait...they're Dems, so that's OK.
You are comparing not paying taxes to WAR CRIMES? WOW. Glad to see you have some perspective.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #18
dmg1969
I got nothing

No, I am not comparing the two. And, that would be WAR CRIMES (in your skewed opinion). I just thought I would use the most recent examples of Dems getting a pass on their own wrong-doing. It just so happens that no matter what a Democrat seems to do...fellow Dems in power (and the Dem voters) give them a pass. Didn't pay your taxes? Well, you said you're sorry...it was an oversight, so all is well. It's disgusting. Marion Barry ring a bell?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Let us compare actual, prosecutable crimes to Bush-hater's fantasy crimes and see what comes of it. Sug, which *particular* war crime would you start with, and in which court?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #20
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Let us compare actual, prosecutable crimes to Bush-hater's fantasy crimes and see what comes of it. Sug, which *particular* war crime would you start with, and in which court?
Bush and Cheney have both admitted in interviews that they authorized waterboarding, which is defined as torture in the Geneva Conventions, which we helped put into place, and we have always agreed to until bush was in office. WE have tried and prosecuted people for waterboarding. Plus, we used other forms of torture as well.

So, I believe they should be tried in an International Court, by International Standards. If the international community decides to let them go, then so be it. But I do not believe we can just turn our backs on standards that we helped put in place, and that the international community has agreed to, for years, simply because we want to or because we all of a sudden decide, on our own, that what we do isn't torture, or that we are somehow above the law.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #21
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
No, I am not comparing the two. And, that would be WAR CRIMES (in your skewed opinion). I just thought I would use the most recent examples of Dems getting a pass on their own wrong-doing. It just so happens that no matter what a Democrat seems to do...fellow Dems in power (and the Dem voters) give them a pass. Didn't pay your taxes? Well, you said you're sorry...it was an oversight, so all is well. It's disgusting. Marion Barry ring a bell?
OK. I do not know much about TGs case, so I can't really comment on that with any honesty, but in the case of TD, I do believe he made an honest mistake, and once he realized it, he corrected that mistake. Hell, I didn't pay my taxes once for several years. I knew I owed th money but I just didn't have it. I talked to the IRS periodically about it. I did eventually pay it, along with the interest and penalties. Does that make me a cheat?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #22
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
I believe they should be tried in an International Court, by International Standards.
screw that. The leaders of the US would be foolish to ever allow International Courts the power to rule over the people who are elected to lead our nation.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
screw that. The leaders of the US would be foolish to ever allow International Courts the power to rule over the people who are elected to lead our nation.
When they break International Law, they should be held accountable in an International Court.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #24
lookout123

When the international community can survive without the US they can start dictating what we can and cannot do. Our leaders are only accountable to us. The constitution is the rule book, the courts are the place to handle it, and the people are ultimately responsible for the leadership we have.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Bush and Cheney have both admitted in interviews that they authorized waterboarding, which is defined as torture in the Geneva Conventions
The people that were waterboarded were not prisoners of war in any of the numerous ways defined by Geneva, and so, Geneva doesn't apply.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #26
sugarpop
Professor

Those laws are there for a reason. They are to protect OUR SOLDIERS as much as to protect people in our custody. If the shoe were on the other foot, you guys would be screaming bloody murder. You are using a double standard. If we are going condone torture by our government, regardless of whether the prisoners are POWs as defined by the Geneva Conventions or not, then we can't expect anyone to take us seriously when our guys are tortured, and we want justice for them.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #27
lookout123

you don't honestly believe our POW's have been handled according to the Geneva Conventions do you?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #28
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If you want to prosecute someone, you go by the law, not what you hope might be the law.

Do you want to try again?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #29
sugarpop
Professor

We cannot have a double standard simply because it's convenient.

If we refuse to abide by laws that we helped write, then we can't expect anyone else to treat us with any kind of respect.

Torture is NOT an acceptable way to treat people, I don't give a shit who they are or bad they are. It doesn't work anyway. It never has.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #30
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Did we help write the part that designates who a prisoner of war is?

You can't have a double standard - ignore the section of the law you don't want to apply - simply because it's convenient.

This isn't about torture, it's about law.