Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #6211
monster
I hear them call the tide

is the teenager 18?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #6212
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yep. Still unlicensed as well, but making progress on that front. The military is always an option.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:14 PM   #6213
monster

hmm that really is a sad state of affairs. Bagging at a grocery store is another option, I guess
Old 07-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #6214
monster

has said teen looked on craigslist for summer jobs?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #6215
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
Bagging at a grocery store is another option, I guess
She's applied for several, none of them are interested so far. She looks halfway decent on paper, if inexperienced, hence the interviews at places that are genuinely looking to hire someone... but then the interview itself is, well, what a conversation with her is like. And they quickly change their minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
has said teen looked on craigslist for summer jobs?
Oh yes. All the online everything, except things like physical labor. She really presents terribly in person, the social anxiety just takes over and she becomes a zombie.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #6216
monster

she should move here. we'll hire anyone with a pulse to bag
Old 07-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #6217
Clodfobble

Yeah, I'm still hoping. There are a ton of grocery stores with a ton of turnover, so really she'll never exhaust all of them, she can just reapply every few weeks or so.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #6218
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Texas is short on nurses and nursing assistants. She might be able to find a free, possibly paid (training wage), 4 week CNA course in exchange for working for the sponsoring health care organization for a period of time, probably a year, at full wages. She'd have to pay the course fee if she quits earlier though. You can search for info starting with places like this.

If she couldn't handle that amount of physical labor, she probably wouldn't make it through basic training in the military.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #6219
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I've been working on a job building custom windows. My shop and all, literally all, my tools were either broken, dead, rusty or otherwise in need of rehabilitation. Spent the better part of a month repairing and rebuilding and dialing-in the shop and tools.

Got to work on cutting the parts. No problems so far, knock wood. I needed to make a spacer for my dado set so I planed a piece of wood to the desired thickness and I put a new blade on the band saw to cut the circle, I set the tracking and tension and the new blade was fantastic. I needed to re-adjust the guide block and as I was tightening it the screw didn't snug up; the %@#%& casting split at the screw hole.

No biggie, $6.00 part except... except... no one has this discontinued POS in stock.

Fuckers.

I'm going to see if I can silver solder whatever shitty pot metal they used.

0/10 Would not break this part again.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #6220
glatt

You could probably make one of these with shit you already have in your shop. Gotta be some way to mount it to you POS guide bar.

Name:  upper_guide-b.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  35.0 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #6221
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Texas is short on nurses and nursing assistants. She might be able to find a free, possibly paid (training wage), 4 week CNA course in exchange for working for the sponsoring health care organization for a period of time, probably a year, at full wages. She'd have to pay the course fee if she quits earlier though. You can search for info starting with places like this.

If she couldn't handle that amount of physical labor, she probably wouldn't make it through basic training in the military.
That's an interesting idea--she's extremely anti-college right now, which accurately reflects her ability to complete coursework so that's actually fine, but a short training course might be something she'd go for, 6-12 months from now.

I honestly didn't think it was really possible to fail basic training, I thought they just made you go through it again and again until you were in shape.

But as usual, it looks like my judgmental griping was unwarranted and premature. Her second interviewer emailed back today with a background check consent form, so things may be more likely on that one than she first thought.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #6222
monster

She could be an uber driver.....
Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #6223
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
You could probably make one of these with shit you already have in your shop. Gotta be some way to mount it to you POS guide bar.

Attachment 57412
I don't think it will come to that yet, but I've been thinking about something like that. There are a few after market set ups that range from $60 to $200, but for now, it works acceptably. It holds the cool block in place and with the saw adjusted properly there is very little lateral force on the block. (True love and tenderness still unaccounted for.)

The silver solder didn't work. I have no idea what that metal is but the solder just beaded up on the surface like water on teflon.

Back burner for now.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #6224
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
The silver solder didn't work. I have no idea what that metal is but the solder just beaded up on the surface like water on teflon.
J-B Weld, maybe?

Work that in real good and then file/machine the surface back down?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #6225
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I don't think it will come to that yet, but I've been thinking about something like that. There are a few after market set ups that range from $60 to $200, but for now, it works acceptably. It holds the cool block in place and with the saw adjusted properly there is very little lateral force on the block. (True love and tenderness still unaccounted for.)

Back burner for now.
What the flux?!

Tags
mild cheddar