The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #1801
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
It starts the very first time someone prioritizes how you look over who you are and what you can do. Which they do for girls way more than boys.
It's interesting, because for me I had these two worlds: my mom and all her friends and basically every adult female in my life told me all the time that I was pretty, but the kids at school told me I was not. Objectively, I agreed with the kids--I wasn't repulsive, necessarily, but I knew I was an awkward kid with poor hygiene and no chin--so the conclusion I came to was that adults lie. Which they do.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #1802
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Why is it that whenever you share a picture of your kid and their great recent accomplishment..... IRL and on social media....

someone will ignore what they did and comment on how beautiful/handsome/good-looking they are. WTF people?

-especially for girls, but also boys
Pretty sure it's the backlash from "millennial everyone gets a trophy for showing up" famsquad trying be all lit - keepin it 100 and ignoring the trophy; all, "it ain't nothin but a thing."

I'm pretty sure that's what's behind it.

Oh. And shallow, lookist
Old 03-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #1803
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or maybe they don't give a rats ass what your spawn did, but felt obligated to say something nice.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #1804
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

I don't know. Somewhere along the way, I learned that there are only a very few people whose opinions mean a goddamned thing. Everyone else can fuck right the fuck off.

I wasn't a chubby kid, never was anywhere near obese, but that societal thing we all grew up with - only emaciated women are "beautiful" - was always there. Mom regularly encouraged me to lose a few pounds even though I wasn't overweight (I just wasn't emaciated). In my mid-20s I did put on a few too many pounds and went on a big diet - lost 40 lbs and suddenly I fit the "beautiful" (emaciated) category.

Still couldn't get a date, so what was the point of starving myself?

I suppose that told me that society's idea of beautiful was all fucked up, and at that point I stopped paying attention to such foolishness. Now, 30-some years later, I've grown a small menopause belly and I still don't give a shit. If you don't like what I look like, don't look. But I'll be damned if some random stranger's opinion means anything to me, and the people who do love me have already figured out what I know to be the real truth - outside don't count; only the insides matter.

As for the kid winning a trophy and getting compliments on their appearance - those people are idiots who don't know what really matters in life. Ignore them. Life is so much better without idiots.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:08 AM   #1805
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
... what I know to be the real truth - outside don't count; only the insides matter.
I want to be where it counts, that's where I want to be.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:45 AM   #1806
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

My Fanny is troubling me.
Got her out of mothballs for her spring check-over and her gas hob, which we had fitted last June and have hardly used, has developed a leak. I am currently in correspondence with the shop I bought it from as I am pretty sure I am within my rights to ask for a replacement, but we have two bank holidays (Friday and Monday) and a weekend between now and Departure Date on our Grand Tour (7 nights away, home to Dorset and back, four stops) so nothing is likely to arrive in time to be fitted. I will most definitely need to cook on this trip a) because I don't want Mr L eating chips at every meal which I suspect he will if we eat out or takeaways and b) the expense.
Fortunately I have planned stops with electric hook-up all the way (got to keep Mr Limey's gadgets charged up!). We already have low voltage kettle, so have ordered low voltage toaster and one-ring hob, and remembered I have a small slow cooker and Remoska which are both ideal for caravan life. But will have to pay the gas tech who discovered the problem for finding it, removing old cooker, putting in new cooker yadda yadda yadda.
Gah! So much for carefee life on the road.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #1807
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Aw c'mon, it's only for a week, let him eat cake.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #1808
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Aw c'mon, it's only for a week, let him eat cake.
Diagnosed type 2 Diabeetus.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #1809
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
My Fanny is troubling me.
Got her out of mothballs for her spring check-over and her gas hob, which we had fitted last June and have hardly used, has developed a leak. I am currently in correspondence with the shop I bought it from as I am pretty sure I am within my rights to ask for a replacement, but we have two bank holidays (Friday and Monday) and a weekend between now and Departure Date on our Grand Tour (7 nights away, home to Dorset and back, four stops) so nothing is likely to arrive in time to be fitted. I will most definitely need to cook on this trip a) because I don't want Mr L eating chips at every meal which I suspect he will if we eat out or takeaways and b) the expense.
Fortunately I have planned stops with electric hook-up all the way (got to keep Mr Limey's gadgets charged up!). We already have low voltage kettle, so have ordered low voltage toaster and one-ring hob, and remembered I have a small slow cooker and Remoska which are both ideal for caravan life. But will have to pay the gas tech who discovered the problem for finding it, removing old cooker, putting in new cooker yadda yadda yadda.
Gah! So much for carefee life on the road.
Quote:
fanny
NOUN
plural fannies

1. North American informal: A person's buttocks.

2. British vulgar slang: A woman's genitals.
I'm so confused.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #1810
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

it's a camper
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #1811
glatt

What's that dragging, a long behind?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #1812
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
I'm so confused.
Fanny is also a name...and it's the name of Limey's camper.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #1813
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Also, Limey that title had me in stitches - I heard it in a Julian Clary voice.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #1814
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
And Grav, your opinion has never counted because the first time I was brave enough to post a candid image on here (a video, even, of me enjoying the surf ride at a water park) you called me fat. I am sorry that looks are so important to you. You're missing out on a lot of good people.
I ain't missing a thing.

Just remember you got here from "That's a good looking kid.", that's what it appears you're griping about. Someone complimented your kid. The audacity.

Anyone, ANYONE, who wasn't searching for something to be offended by, or unhappy about, would take the compliment and go on.

First world problems, I guess?

Yeah, I said what I said. I've said a great many things that were not deserved by the people to whom they were spoken. I apologize for that, especially for the manner in which it was said. It was a very childish thing to have said, and it reflects an outlook that I hope is no longer part of my way of thinking. It is one of many things I've said here that I regret. I would like to think that, thanks to The Cellar, you, at times, and others here, I am (believe it or not) a little bit better person than I have been in the past. And I thank all of you for that.

And as far as me and my opinions not mattering around here, you ain't telling me, or anyone else here, a goddamned thing. If I cared a whit what some of you actually, truly, thought of me, I would have been gone, or in the penitentiary cemetery, a long time ago. I like some of the folks here, and I'm not willing to let the bastards run me off, not just yet anyway. I won't be here much longer though, so, just be patient, I'll be gone soon enough.

You have raised a nice family.

Oops, I've insulted you again.

Your children are smart and athletic.

Oh God, how much of this can you take??????

<---Not that you, or anyone else, cares....

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #1815
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

BTW, looks matter so much to me?

Have you seen my picture?

Looks don't need to be brought into it with this ugly mug.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limburger