The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-21-2001, 10:09 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

7/21: Hotel on the moon

[IMG]pictures/moonhotel.jpg[/IMG]

Ready for space tourism yet? If NASA isn't, others are getting ready and this is an architect's conception of a possible hotel on the moon. The lower gravity means that a more interesting structure can be built!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 01:32 PM   #2
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Re: 7/21: Hotel on the moon

Quote:
and this is an architect's conception of a possible hotel on the moon.
Right. And this is my conception of a possible hotel on the moon. I wonder which one they'll build first?

The amazing thing is, somebody actually got paid to do this! Well... gotta go. I'm off to apply for my new job as a lunar architect! Be sure to watch for my upcoming concepts: low gravity convenience stores, fast-food franchises and pawn shops!

Last edited by Hubris Boy; 07-21-2001 at 01:42 PM.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 06:47 PM   #3
russotto
Professor

That's hilarious! Leave the light on for me, will you?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 07:06 PM   #4
jaguar
whig

Ummm.....I'm probably missing somthign but isin't there a kind of fundamental flaw with building any large structure on the surface of the moon becuase it can get randomly hit by high velocity asteroids...?
Old 07-23-2001, 09:37 AM   #5
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Well, the Earth can be randomly hit by high-velocity asteroids, too.

Which brings up two points:
1) The odds are rather slim at any given point of either one getting hit (have we been hit by anything of any size since, oh, Tunguska in 1908?)

2) Exactly what could we do about it if either we or the moon were on a collision course with something big? Bruce Willis isn't on-call 24-7, after all.

jeff. It's hard to argue with things that have both mass and velocity on their side.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 12:33 PM   #6
ndetroit
Master Locutor

No,

the chances are much much less of the earth being hit by a high-velocity asteroid because we have an atmosphere to protect us, and eliminate 99.99% of meteorites that are headed toward the surface.

The moon does not have the luxury of an atmosphere, and so even a small rock the size of a baseball or soccer ball could do some pretty severe damage, as it will not burn up upon atmospheric entry.

No, though meteors and asteroids would be a problem, I would think that if you were on the moon, you should be far more concerned about criminals from another planet escaped from a giant mirror-like prison disk that was destroyed by a massive nuclear blast thrown into outer-space by someone of superhuman strength.

Yes.
ndetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 02:44 PM   #7
TheDollyLlama
Do-er of Deeds

Moon Landers Hit?

All this makes sense, but I wonder: Have any of the smaller structures we have left on the moon been hit by meteorites? Smaller structures i.e, lunar landers, rovers, etc.
TheDollyLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 04:27 PM   #8
ndetroit
Master Locutor

Not as far as I know. In fact, most of the original footprints are still there from previous missions. The only ones that are gone are ones that have been trampled over..

They left a ton of stuff up there... Lunar rovers, landing vehicles, golf clubs and balls, flags, etc, etc...

Again, the aforemented aliens from Krypton could have destroyed a lot of it by now though....
ndetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 08:41 PM   #9
ChrisD
Poker Pariah

Zod takes offense to your insolence.

http://www.weathergraphics.com/zod/
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 08:58 PM   #10
jaguar
whig

Hmm k .That stuff aht is up there is obviously absolutely tiny compared to the size of the palent - i if we started building cites i would have thought it would be an expodential curve risk wise..
Old 07-24-2001, 12:48 PM   #11
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Hmm k .That stuff aht is up there is obviously absolutely tiny compared to the size of the palent - i if we started building cites i would have thought it would be an expodential curve risk wise..
Naa, only linear (directly proportional to area occupied)
Old 07-24-2001, 04:41 PM   #12
jaguar
whig

You have a good point there.....urgh - reminds self not to post at 2am. I can explain my flawed thought process behind that but i won't
Old 07-24-2001, 06:02 PM   #13
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto

Naa, only linear (directly proportional to area occupied)
theoretically, yes. but imagine if it was sticking up far enough and say a baseball-sized meteor went flying through it, as if you threw a baseball at a barn. you're correct in that the probability of something being hit from above is linear to the area it occupies, but what about sideways? without an atmosphere, could something not hit it from the side? if so, is the probability not then increased to the volume occupied instead of the area?
Old 07-25-2001, 12:50 AM   #14
jaguar
whig

True - on the upside the amount of meteors around keeps going down - most of the impacts on the moon are millions of years old. All the saem it only takes a baseball sized one to rip though a wall of an airtight section and cause havoc and death.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:58 AM   #15
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic

theoretically, yes. but imagine if it was sticking up far enough and say a baseball-sized meteor went flying through it, as if you threw a baseball at a barn. you're correct in that the probability of something being hit from above is linear to the area it occupies, but what about sideways? without an atmosphere, could something not hit it from the side? if so, is the probability not then increased to the volume occupied instead of the area?
I haven't done the math, but I think the additional chance of being hit caused by height is either negligible or makes it proportional to surface area rather than volume.