The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 09-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #166
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Whoops.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #167
glatt

I had to back it up and watch it again to see the driver hop out just before the cab went into the water.

That water is so deep, they can just leave it there and keep using that spot to land.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:59 PM   #168
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I never ran over any cars in my Peterbilt, but once in Wyoming I was flatbedding. There was black ice on the road. Two vehicles were on the shoulder on the left. I tapped the breaks. The trailer swung sideways with 35,000 lbs. of sheetrock. The back bumper hit the van and peeled the side off. The people from the vehicles were in the meridian talking. I don't know why because the wind was blowing and it was colder than chit. No one was hurt, but by the time I got back they still had googly eyes and one had brown spot on his pants. The only good thing about it was the trooper. She was a stacked blue eyed blonde who was in great physical shape.

tarheel
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #169
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Supposed to move trailers up to 25 ton, but I can see an itty bitty rock stopping that thing...

Old 09-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #170
Pamela
Deplorable

It's just a jumbo-sized power walker, a type of pallet jack.
There are versions available to move rv-type trailers too, costing around $2000. I wanted one until I saw the price. I can see a market in rv dealers and maybe even small freight companies, but a spotter truck can precisely place a trailer faster and more reliably.

Visibility looks to be a major issue with that. You would need two other people to walk with you while you moved a trailer, to watch out for obstructions and help you back it in.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #171
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe hire a midget that can see under the trailer.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #172
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Whoops. Must've hit the brakes too hard...

Name:  semistoppedfast.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  107.9 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #173
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Found this when I tried to get to this thread:

Name:  huh.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  22.2 KB

Never seen that before.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #174
Pamela
Deplorable

No headache rack? tsk tsk
Old 11-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #175
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Improper loading and securement. If that driver lived they will get a huge ticket.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:44 AM   #176
Pamela
Deplorable

I disagree. Secure straps were evident and properly installed. The straps are to prevent sideways movement of the freight, not to keep it from sliding forward or backward. The headache rack (large metal plate installed on the front of the trailer or rear of the cab) is to deflect the freight upwards and away from the cab or at least over the driver's head. Since there was none, this is the result of a sudden stop.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #177
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

What happened I think, is they (the shipper) put smaller pieces in the middle and didn't tell the driver. Loads like that are normally easy throw a few straps and maybe some chains to keep that from happening. If that was a live load the driver should have been paying attention, and not allowed them to put loose product in the middle of the stack. What probably happened was some reefer hand who thinks that flat bedders are stupid, and all I need is some straps and a winch bar.
I was a flat bedder for 10 years. Hauled open equipment 49 states and Canada.
And never lost anything off my trailer.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:44 AM   #178
captainhook455
Rapscallion

What caused the sudden stop? I don't see tire marks. The front end is not bent on this side view. Trailer is not jackknifed.

tarheel
Old 11-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #179
Pamela
Deplorable

I would venture to guess a car slowed suddenly in front of the truck. That'll do it every time.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:14 AM   #180
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I would estimate the driver is hauling 35k weight. Looks like a busy highway with no outs. The truck would have pushed the car out the way like a freight train. I used to haul 40k of Budweiser from Newark to Greenbay. Once a car ran into the trailer at a light. I didn't feel a thing. A driver on the slab called me on the CB informed me. Oh well. Never heard anything about it. I guess they lived.

tarheel