The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
joelnwil
Major Inhabitant

Do You Talk at the Gym?

Earlier, that would have been a stupid question, but now that everybody (except me) has a portable music player, most of the people at LA Fitness seem zonked out listening to music, and nobody talks any more.

Earlier, it was possible to go to the gym, talk to people, and even make friends. These days that does not seem to happen.

Yesterday, I was on an exercise bike, which is near the exit, and I saw this guy walking out after having also been on an exercise bike. I had seen him before, and he was always plugged in. I have never seen him talk to anybody. Still, when I saw he had an ace bandage around his knee, I asked him what happened. WOW! We actually had a conversation! His name is Tom, he is 25 years old (so only about 1/3 my age) and he hurt his knee sliding into first base while playing baseball on the DC Mall. He also likes other sports, and is a serious athlete (well, I could see that from his build).

Anyway, that was nice. I had a little bit of difficulty holding up my end of the conversation, since I had gotten to the part on the bike where I begin to pant.

I complained about the lack of conversation to my daughter, and she complained about guys at the gym "hitting on" her. But she should not complain too much. She met a guy at the gym, became involved, and he even took her to Cancun before she dumped him for the guy she is with now, who just took her to the Caymans. The girl does OK.
joelnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Just because she met a guy at the gym and went out with him, that doesnt mean she has to like being hit on at the gym.

I don't do gyms. But if I did I would be there with my ipod on. I like exercise (fast walking mainly) and I am very attracted to the idea of an exercise bike: but one reason I don't do gyms, is because if I am engaged in physical activity I like to zone out and be solitary. That, to me, is most pleasant. Conversation would just kill the buzz. I used to swim a lot when I was younger. I loved the way I'd just go into a zone with it. I particularly liked to go when the pool was quiet and not many others were there. I liked the silence of it. Being inside my own head.

Mostly I get my exercise through walking the dog these days. But years ago, when I had no dog, I would walk for hours with my sony walkman. Used to cost me a fortune in batteries *grins*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I prefer solitude when I am exercising too, Dana. I like to be able to focus on what my body is doing and having to partake in a conversation would distract me from that. I dont even like to wear headphones when I am walking outside.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Datalyss
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Mostly I get my exercise through walking the dog these days.
It's good for you, and the dog....and it's free.

It'd be nice if I could walk around the block.
Datalyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Just because she met a guy at the gym and went out with him, that doesnt mean she has to like being hit on at the gym.
C'mon, "everybody" knows chicks only go to the gym to ogle half naked guys and try to meet them.

Oh wait, other way round. nevermind.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I agree. Running with my dog is more fun. It actually makes running fun, in fact, I don't think I'd do it all if not for the dog. I mean, I used to go hiking without the dog but that was less fun too.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datalyss View Post
It's good for you, and the dog....and it's free.

It'd be nice if I could walk around the block.
Get a dog to pull you. that might be fun. as long as the sidewalk is in reasonable condition. If not, go on the road -the joggers do.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
jinx
Come on, cat.

I talk to people at the gym... the front desk people when I'm checking in, the housekeepers when I'm in the locker room, people in the pool... but when I'm actually working out and some guy walks up and makes some retarded comment that I can't hear so I have to turn off my ipod and say "what?" then he says it again as if it was even worth saying the first time, yeah, it makes me want to kick balls.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

What is this "gym" you speak of?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
What is this "gym" you speak of?
it's lolcatspeek for "Jim"
Old 08-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I talk to people at the gym... the front desk people when I'm checking in, the housekeepers when I'm in the locker room, people in the pool... but when I'm actually working out and some guy walks up and makes some retarded comment that I can't hear so I have to turn off my ipod and say "what?" then he says it again as if it was even worth saying the first time, yeah, it makes me want to kick balls.
jeesus. I just wanted to know if you wanted to swim or not. gah.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #12
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Haha, that made me laugh Jim.

I like to speak to people at the gym, if Im warming up/down on the treadie, I like a chat because those two things bore me shitless.

Usually I chat with my PT'er whilst they are caning my arse, or one of the little spotter/assistant dudes will have a chat to me whilst I am doing weights.

My problem is I like to sing to music, so you can imagine that its in the gyms interest to keep me talking, rather than singing to my ipod.

If Im doing my own aerobic circuit, I will get in the zone and wont want to chat.

I do a lot of classes, R.P.M, circuit, boot camp...so there are plenty of people who want to chat, but usually we are all too busy trying to breathe.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

I go to one of those women-only gyms, so there's no dudes there to ask me odd questions.

I do a small bit of chatting, but mostly I'm in such a hurry to get my workout done that I keep it to a minimum. I have made some good friends there.

- Louis Adamic
Alluvial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I don't talk at the gym. I'll respond politely if someone starts talking to me, but I do not let it roll into a conversation. I'm there to bust my ass and then leave.

This is probably why my girlfriend will no longer go to the gym with me. I hardly respond to her and won't stand around and chat with her. This is why my brother and I like going to the gym with each other. We have a built in spotter that understands that compound phrases are verboten at the gym.

On the other hand, I'll have long drawn out conversations while running. That's a totally different thing.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
hackhelios
Sun Hacker

"Gime? ... Oooooh...gime!" - Homer Simpson

Haven't been in a gym proper since the navy days, but generally put on my "don't talk to me" face when I did. I'm with Dana and Pico--prefer to focus on the reason I'm there. Hard rock and pump music help intensely.

I haven't lifted in forever now, so most of my working out is just done in the apartment. I do talk to myself on occasion.