The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #316
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

LOL. I wonder why I did that.

Oh I see, you are right under his post.

Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #317
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
No vision obstruction....in fact it may improve it by shading that back glass a bit.
So that is the spoiler for this car?

Never Mind.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #318
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post

Never Mind.
you were picturing one of those silly wing things?

jimhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #319
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post

Never Mind.
So you had no idea what you were banging on about? Well what a shock that is.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #320
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why buy one, when they are so easy to fabricate.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #321
monster
I hear them call the tide

excellent. I'mm'a have hector make one for my Windstar (which is bright red with chrome flames in the front wings )
Old 10-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #322
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
you were picturing one of those silly wing things?
If it does not look like that, then is it even a spoiler? I am repeatedly amazed how many think that thing on the trunk (and what appears to be another spoiler below it) is 'cool'.

At one point, I could not find any decent car with a stick that did not have some stupid spoiler on the trunk. Some salesmen trying to tell me it was cool. Maybe if I was so dumb as to be told what to believe.

Some 'wings' in that location were designed to channel air across the rear window. To clear road dirt and maintain visibility. And did not cost $400. Have not seen those for at least a decade.

Saw same thing on some mid-1990 Honda Civics. But never heard anyone call that a spoiler. Never knew that thing on a Juke also was a 'spoiler'. Reminds me of fins on 1957 Plymouths and Chevys. Well those owners got their fins for free.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:20 AM   #323
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Some 'wings' in that location were designed to channel air across the rear window. To clear road dirt and maintain visibility. And did not cost $400. Have not seen those for at least a decade.
They used to be pretty popular on station wagons, where the rear window gets filthy. They even incorporated them into the roof rack sometimes.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 AM   #324
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Wait a minute - that kludged spoiler. Isn't that a nissan maxima? UT did you pimp out the cellar car?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:08 AM   #325
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nevar!!!

What we found is that some rear bike racks don't work if there's a spoiler on the trunk, making the Cellar Car the car of choice for that work.

Also the Cellar Car was recently above 100 MPH for the first time, possibly in its life. It was brief, just to see how it would fare. The rear tyres did not lose traction. But IMO tw is right and an upgraded suspension would be a better bet than a spoiler, 100% of the time.

But the Juke spoiler is not a spoiler, but just the usual Nissan car makers trick of putting everything into a Premium package so the dealers can order 19 cars with the Premium package and one for the cheap-ass buyers who tenaciously refuse such items.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #326
Cloud

Which kind of oil?

still waiting for my car. In the meantime, however, I invite your comments on the best kind of oil to use.

I hear people arguing passionately about the "dino v. synthetic" issue. I'm a bit confused, but seems to me after some cursory research that dino is okay for the first couple of years, then switching to synthetic may be better later. Keep in mind that the car I'm planning on buying is a turbo.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #327
glatt

I swear by 710 fluid.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:58 AM   #328
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
still waiting for my car. In the meantime, however, I invite your comments on the best kind of oil to use.
The difference is that conventional oil feature larger molecules. These were especially important because poorly machined engines contained lots of debris and blowby materials. Synthetic was only used in, for example, jet engines where the oil was not contaminated by burned fuel.

Larger oil molecules made the debris less destructive.

Machining to tenths of thousands of inches and other innovations made synthetics more practical. Oil that was once so fully contaminated in 4000 miles (or 500 miles in the 1950s) is now cleaner even after 8000 miles. So the advantage of larger molecules is no longer as significant.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #329
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

did you ever get your Juke, Cloud?

I got one yesterday, but I forgot about the spoiler, and of course, the SL I took does not have it. I walked past an SV in bright blue this morning that had it, and was reminded how much better it looks with it. meh.. I still like it a lot.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #330
Cloud

no, the too-long wait and the numerous reported problems gave me cold feet. I finally got a RAV4 (reported in a separate thread).

Still talk to the Juke people. They have CEL problems, bad fit-and-finish squeaking problems, weird engine problems too. But they all say it's fun to drive!