The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 06-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
joelnwil
Major Inhabitant

Document Everything

Because otherwise, your wife may decide that you are crazy, senile, or generally incompetent. This is for your own protection.

We were going to McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant in Bethesda MD yesterday. So I looked up the address, and put

7401 Woodmont Ave Bethesda, MD

into Google Maps. The map showed the intersection of Woodmont and Elm. So that is where we went. The restaurant was not there. It turned out to be dabout 2 blocks north on Woodmont. Anyway, we had a nice lunch, etc.

So today, just to check, I used a different procedure to get the map. I went to the restaurant's website and clicked on their map. It gave the correct location, corner of Montgomery and Woodmont.

Then, just for fun, I put in the address into Google Maps again. This time, even though I did not click on the link from the restaurant's website, but just cut and pasted the address into another copy of the browser, it gave the correct location.

??? There must be some error detecting and correcting software. Pretty cool.

If I had not kept the original, wrong map on paper, I might think I was crazy. And I know my wife would think I was crazy.
joelnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Juniper
I know, right?

I've had similar experiences, and yes, my DH and kids think I'm a little batty. And you can't rely on tech. My GPS occasionally tells me to go the wrong way on one-way streets.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Flint
Snowflake

7411 Woodmont Ave Bethesda, MD is at the intersection of Woodmont and Elm.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A year ago, I was showing off my new GPS to a friend. Look it'll direct us right back to your house, I said. And then I accidentally chose the "no toll roads" option, in a location where the only real option was a toll road.

It did it... with a series of little bridges, weird turnbacks, heading the wrong way in the middle of nowhere for 10 minutes, etc. But it did it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Juniper
I know, right?

Interesting. We don't have toll roads here - I hadn't experienced them till we went on a few recent trips east. Kind of a pain if you aren't expecting them. I had often wondered if there was a freebie way to get from one place to another, probably something only the locals know.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
jinx
Come on, cat.

EZ Pass
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Juniper
I know, right?

But you still have to pay for it, right?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Legally (at least in Texas,) there has to be some free path to every public area. But it doesn't have to be convenient, short, or make any sense at all, as long as someone could in theory get there.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
But you still have to pay for it, right?
right.

there should be backroads that go the same place eventually in most places. Around here, the roads were there before cars in most cases. In a newer place, there may not be that network of capillary roads beneath the major arteries.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

When I saw the title of this thread I was pretty sure it was going to be about divorce.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I am currently "bidding" on low-cost properties I am elegible to rent via the amalgamation of charities/ housing schemes. I am bottom of the list as I am assessed as D "no recognised housing need" (in case anyone thinks I am feeding off the govt tit).

Still, I apply to the 3 properties I am entitled to every fortnight, just in case.

Last Thurs, I applied to a flat on Weedon Hill.
Didn't ring a bell.
Looked up the street name on multimap and it was in the old part of town. Wow! I mean, I know I'm not going to get anything anytime soon, but it's nice to dream. So on one of my interminable walks I looked in the area multimap suggested. Not there. Funny.

Then Mum said there was no way it was in town. There was no room for a new development. I must have got thre name wrong. It must be on the new estate out by Watermead.

Sometimes she is wrong of course.
But she worked for the ambulance service for over 10 years, and the police for more than that - she knows Aylesbury as well as an estate agent.

Yup - she was right.

The Royal Mail postcode finder put the address on the new estate about 2 miles away. Don't get me wrong, I'd have bitten their arm off it it had been offered to me (I wasn't even top 20) but it taught me not to automatically trust websites.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
When I saw the title of this thread I was pretty sure it was going to be about divorce.
Me too. Very glad it isn't. Weird topic for relationships forum, really, but it takes all sorts
Old 06-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnwil View Post
Because otherwise, your wife may decide that you are crazy, senile, or generally incompetent. This is for your own protection.
Unfortunately, even appropriate documentation may not alleviate this problem!

Good luck, bud!