The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Disagree About Iraq? You're Not Just Wrong -- You're Evil

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031101439.html

Quote:
What is interesting about the clash from a psychological perspective is not that supporters and critics disagree, but that large numbers of people on both sides claim to know the motives of people who disagree with them. When was the last time you heard people say that those who disagree with them on the Iraq war are well-meaning, smart, informed and thoughtful?

A wide body of psychological research shows that on any number of hot-button issues, people seem hard-wired to believe the worst about those who disagree with them. Most people can see the humor in such behavior when it doesn't involve things they care about: If you don't care about sports, for example, you roll your eyes when fans of one team question the principles and parentage of fans of a rival team.

"We are really bad about putting ourselves in other people's places and looking at the world the way they look at it," said Glenn D. Reeder, a social psychologist at Illinois State University who recently conducted a study into how supporters and critics of the Iraq war have come to believe entirely different narratives about the war -- and about each other. "We find it difficult to grant that other people come to their conclusions in good faith if they reach a conclusion that is different than ours," he said.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
rkzenrage

"People" are idiots.
If you choose not to reason, you are an animal.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
"People" are idiots.
Exactly what happens when extremists create so much animosity that it becomes difficult for the intelligent people to remain as moderates. That is what has happened in Israel to destroy the Oslo Accords. That is what happened when American extremists germander election districts so that only extremists can get elected. That is what happened when Hitler disparaged the bourgeois and intelligencia to obtain power. That is what Karl Rove has been so good at to make the lesser intelligent Americans even promote lies characterized by phrases such as "Freedom Fries".

Those with intelligence should have seen the expression "We are where we are" means - that we must destroy ourselves because that is what we are doing. And yet America is now become so dominated by extremist rhetoric (Limbaugh lies and some foolishly think Fox News is news) that ... well how many knew about soldiers lying in their own urine in Walter Reed ... known this almost a month ago. That too is no longer important. More important is the political agenda attached to that fact. So instead we deny it or blame it on the Army.

As if those enlisted men brought those dog collars with them to Abu Ghriad.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
"People" are idiots.
You assume that two people reasoning will come to the same conclusion. Not so. When reasoning, you take all the facts you can get, then apply reason and prejudice to come to a conclusion

Prejudice?.. that's not reasoning!

Sure is, reasoning means putting the facts together, but your experience, background and opinion, that's prejudice, causes you to weigh the facts differently.
While its true some facts are more important, and giving them all the same importance is wrong, just how you weigh them, rank them, depends on prejudice.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Anyone who supports the war in Iraq is simply a Goddamned pedophile...God told me so.

*ahem*...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You assume that two people reasoning will come to the same conclusion. Not so. When reasoning, you take all the facts you can get, then apply reason and prejudice to come to a conclusion

Prejudice?.. that's not reasoning!

Sure is, reasoning means putting the facts together, but your experience, background and opinion, that's prejudice, causes you to weigh the facts differently.
While its true some facts are more important, and giving them all the same importance is wrong, just how you weigh them, rank them, depends on prejudice.
How did you come to the conclusion that I made that assumption?
That is a cool crystal ball ya' got there!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
KGZotU
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Anyone who supports the war in Iraq is simply a Goddamned pedophile...God told me so.

*ahem*...
Yeah?!? Well God told me that anyone who opposes the war in Iraq is a Goddamned pedophile!

Pederast.

Actually, I'm not for or against the war. I just find those against the war so much more abrasive than those for it, so I usually take the other side.

XOXO,
Joe

Edit: Properly, I should say that I am much more abraded by those against the war than those for it.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGZotU View Post
I just find those against the war so much more abrasive than those for it
Perhaps it's because they are the ones who are not getting their way. So they have more to complain about.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Perhaps it's because they are the ones who are not getting their way. So they have more to complain about.
And perhaps their way makes a hell of a lot more sense.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
KGZotU
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I think that's a good part of it. There might be a lot of idiots out there who support the war, but for the most part the people that I see supporting it are old, calm, and rational. I'm exposed to many more idiots that oppose the war than those that support it.

I oppose passion and sicken at politics. In the current state, war opposers appear to instigate both. No judgment there, I'm not saying they shouldn't.

Shawnee: Supposing either side has the truth behind them, I think very few people manage to make sense.

--Joe
Old 03-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGZotU View Post
I oppose passion and sicken at politics. In the current state, war opposers appear to instigate both.
Um, yay for dispassionately killing Iraqis?

No way to say that the war isn't political, though.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
KGZotU
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Um, yay for dispassionately killing Iraqis?

No way to say that the war isn't political, though.
Sure there is, I meant politics in a different sense. I think my view on national politics is pretty well summed with something I heard on the radio that went like this:

Politics is a race. Now, there's no rule against having a good, moral, and just candidate in office. In the competition to get votes, however, a soul is dead weight and a candidate that carries one simply can not win.

I should have said that I sicken at 'politicking'. When Republicans are in power, Democrats play dirty. When Democrats are in power, Republicans play dirty. Whether or not either side is right, they're both playing dirty and that's what I sicken at. Because the Republicans have the inertia, Democrats just have to play it more openly.

And, just to say it again, I don't support the war. . .or oppose it.

--Joe
Old 03-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Ah, yes. All those Democratic dirty tricks over the last decade.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #15
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well, it's not like the Dems really have a great track record overall though.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote