The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 02-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #16
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hi Lola Bunny!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:31 PM   #17
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

James River Valley

Tree Fae and I are headed to the James River Valley and it's environs come early July. Are there any must not miss sights we need to hit?
Old 02-29-2016, 11:56 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dakotas, not Virginia, right?
Old 03-01-2016, 05:18 AM   #19
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny View Post
I must visit! I'm an hour drive away from Ashville.
Lola - Check out the French Broad. Only bad thing is lines sometimes stretch out to the street to get in. You'll love it once you get in. Another good place is the Chocolate Fetish if you are looking for stuff to take home.

Hands down, my favorite candy maker is Southern Candy Makers in New Orleans. It is a family tradition for special holidays and occasions.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #20
bbro
Insert witty comment here

AH! My Asheville trip is fast approaching. I am also going to a camp in Georgia about two weeks before Asheville. It's going to be the most traveling I have ever done in one year. I'm so excited!!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #21
bbro

So, this year, I went to Asheville as originally planned. And to Georgia for NerdFitness camp. It was awesome. Just a few times in Asheville that I wished I had someone to travel with.

Next year I am going to Charlotte for a long weekend (car ride), Vancouver for a long weekend (probably), and Portland for a longer weekend. I like going over the weekends because I want to see music while there. There's always some venue playing something

I am also going to go back to Asheville for a week. I love it there. I want to live there. I found so many awesome places and didn't hike nearly enough. I probably walked about 10-15 miles in 4 days. I loved it. My calves were ready to die, though - lol.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #22
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Asheville is one of my favorite places too. Hog Rock mountain and the scenic overlook... makes me smile just thinking about being there.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #23
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Asheville is one of my favorite places too. Hog Rock mountain and the scenic overlook... makes me smile just thinking about being there.
Didn't go to either of these! I made it to Craggy Pinnacle. Accidentally traveled the Craggy Garden trail thinking it connected.....um, no. Also found out that it takes me 2 hours to do under a 2 mile hike in the mountains. Comparatively, it takes me 2 hours to do 4+ hour hike in Umstead park in Raleigh.

I think being there during the week will make it a bit less crowded, but probably not. I think I just have to get up uber early to get to the trails before the crowds.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #24
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Crowds? lol get into the woods woman. Ain't no crowds there.

I also went to a creek - can't remember which one - and was looking/panning for gold and such. What a great way to spend a few hours. I found a bunch of rubies. I still have them ... somewhere.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #25
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Crowds? lol get into the woods woman. Ain't no crowds there.

I also went to a creek - can't remember which one - and was looking/panning for gold and such. What a great way to spend a few hours. I found a bunch of rubies. I still have them ... somewhere.
I went to a mountain! The parking was full for Mt Mitchell! SOOO much traffic on the Blue Ridge. And slow ass drivers. I'm talking 10-20 below posted limits and only one lane each side!! Almost killed some people

Even the trail to Craggy Pinnacle wasn't empty. Craggy Gardens was, mostly, but there was fog and rain that day. It's probably the time of year I go, too. Next year over labor day. This year the first weekend in October. Leaf people is what I heard - lol
Old 11-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #26
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
And to Georgia for NerdFitness camp.
Nice. Now you can do one of these! http://www.redcarpet-tours.com/
Old 11-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #27
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Nice. Now you can do one of these! http://www.redcarpet-tours.com/
Apparently there's a Nerdcation planned for 2020 to Australia. That'll be enough for me - lol (Yes, I know they are different countries. That's what I mean).

Also, I'm not going to Vancouver. I'm going to Toronto. Not sure why I said that. Probably over the Christmas Holiday (two weeks at the end of the year that I take off). Cold!
Old 11-23-2016, 06:09 AM   #28
captainhook455
Rapscallion

There is a little known secret to riding the BRP. Say you are at an overlook and about every ten minutes a train of cars and bikes rolls by behind some slow ass. Get ready to pull out. You see the next mob coming pull out ahead of them. It will be free and clear for you. The best time to visit Craggy Gardens is mid August when the blueberry bushes on the bald are bearing fruit.

tarheel
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #29
Griff
still says videotape

smart
Old 11-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #30
bbro

I'll keep that in mind for next time!

I think I've decided on February 16-20 for Portland. Then, I am not using any vacation days, just roll over days and a holiday. There's a Jazz festival then, too. I've picked two shows I want to see.

I found a hotel I like. I priced some flights (DAMN!!), but will probably spend a little extra to get a good/nice/higher class seat.

Now, to figure out what else to do while I am there - lol.