The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Because They're Little Assholes, Raised By Assholes, That's Why

This shit makes my blood boil.

from AllMediaNY

by Molly C. Braswell

Quote:
Officials removed students of Brooklyn’s JHS 292 from the 9/11 memorial site after they were caught throwing baseballs, plastic soda bottles and other trash items into the reflecting pool surrounding one of the monuments on Thursday.

“They kicked us out because of littering in the water,” said Anthony Price, 14, a student on the trip who claims he wasn’t involved in the wrongdoing. “Kids were throwing baseballs in the pond thing.”

“They were making jokes and throwing stuff in the fountain,” said another child who declined to tell his name. “It didn’t seem like a big deal.”

“No one was disrespecting. It wasn’t nothing like that,” another student corroborated, who also declined to give his name. “No one was being serious. Everyone was kind of bored and it was just something to do.”

In an unrelated incident, another student on that field trip was found sneaking three .33-caliber rounds into the memorial site. The NYPD did not arrest anyone.

“The kid had three bullets when they went through the metal detector,” said a JHS 292 student who declined to give his name. “All the kids saw the cops come and take the bullets.”

Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott said he is unaware of why the children were throwing trash into the pool or why they had brought ammunition on the trip, but he has not commented any further on the occurrences.

The NYPD is investigating the situations.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

They're just kids doing stupid shit. Most of us have at some point or another. Why would they feel any great sense of reverence for the site? They were toddlers when the attacks happened.

Someone needs to explain to them properly what that site means to other people and why them messing around in the way they were might be hurtful to those who lost loved ones. Probably a useful lesson for them.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Someone needs to explain to them properly what that site means to other people and why them messing around in the way they were might be hurtful to those who lost loved ones. Probably a useful lesson for them.
This. The reason they were acting poorly is that they weren't chaperoned properly. Could be the teachers sucked and didn't work hard enough to get chaperones for the trip. Could be that the parents are spread really thin, working 2-3 crappy jobs and don't have the luxury of taking time off from work to go on a field trip, so there were no parent chaperones. Could be the teachers didn't prepare them for the trip by explaining it well enough. Could be that they are at that age where they are trying to rebel and see how much they can get away with. Could be that there are a couple of bad apples in the group who will be in jail within 5 years and they were just ruining it for everyone else. But the major thing is that they needed more responsible adults to guide the kids.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

At 14? ... Their parents should have taught them better by then.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
glatt

14 is exactly the age where kids start doing really dumb stuff when they should know better. In fact, they do know better, but they do the dumb stuff anyway. If you ask them why, they will say "I dunno."

They needed better supervision.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
FUCK YOU BIG BROTHER
WHA'EVA', WHA'EVA', I DO WHA' I WANT!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

"The younger generation is going to the dogs."

so sayth the WWII vets, and every generation both before and after them.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
14 is exactly the age where kids start doing really dumb stuff when they should know better. In fact, they do know better, but they do the dumb stuff anyway. If you ask them why, they will say "I dunno."

This is so true.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I agree with glatt's analysis. I would add this. It is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid all incidents like this. No question this was a mistake by the kids, and at that age, the adults on duty are responsible. However, since there will be mistakes like this and larger and smaller, the proper response is to learn from this. As a parent, I'd view this as a teachable moment. By that I mean, hey, this is a problem, this is an chance for me to *show* the kid what this kind of mistake looks like so they have a better chance of recognizing it (hopefully in advance) in the future. And, as a reinforcement for this lesson, the ensuing punishment should be appropriate.

A recent case study happened here. SonofV was resisting doing some work he needed to do. In the course of urging, cajoling, leading, etc (parenting, right?) he was walking away from me to go do the work. I happened to look up as he left and saw him flip me off.

Big mistake.

I called a full stop to everything. I walked over to him and explained that because of his actions, he would be punished. I was upset, but I was clear; that kind of disrespect was unacceptable. The punishment was delivered, and he didn't like it. It was the best kind of punishment in my opinion, the kind that stings like hell, but doesn't leave a permanent mark. (I know you're all wondering... I restricted his access to all screens for a day. You may have an opinion about the suitability of such a sentence, I assure you it was a bullseye.) It allowed me to administer both justice and mercy, since I determined in the early evening that the point had been made--such disrespect was unacceptable, anger is fine, words and actions are controllable and he is responsible for that control--I commuted the rest of his sentence that night.

My point is this. SonofV made a mistake. He did it, but I was responsible for teaching him about that mistake. Perhaps if I'd raised him differently up to that day, he wouldn't have flipped me off. Perhaps. But I just don't think that youthful mistakes like that, or like the ones described in the opening post are avoidable. The important thing is to learn from them. I believe SonofV learned from his mistake. Not really because of his punishment, though that was an crucial part of the teaching. The punishment was the main aid in focusing his attention. And once I had his attention, I could tell him his lesson, no disrespect, be responsible for his words and actions, that I am doing this out of love and not anger (I know this is a cliche. It is true nonetheless and I was able to demonstrate this to his satisfaction). This was what was important.

SonofV isn't a little asshole, nor is he being raised by assholes. Raising kids is a full-time, multi-decade lifestyle choice, and it is often hard. It's usually hard. The story at the top is incomplete. It's like a trailer to a dramatic, exciting movie. You really need to see the whole thing to know if it has a happy or sad ending.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
...and saw him flip me off...
Reason #3,449,712 I'm glad I don't have kids.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Yeah, but you might end up with stepkids later. Even worse.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
I have stepkids too. They aren't worse or better any more than non stepkids are. I will say dealing with bioparent as stepparent *was definitely* more difficult.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
No.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's good to be so clear.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
DanaC

Stop sitting on the fence about it Grav and tell us what you really think?