The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #46
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm sure no one will be surprised, but I'm on your side here, Sundae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey
Let's spend taxpayer dollars making sure private restaurants aren't buying, using, or offering the DREADED BIG CUP.
As opposed to using taxpayer dollars for the extensively documented and undeniable health problems of those who consume that amount of soda in one sitting.

Libertarian-style freedom like you describe is an all-or-nothing deal. Freedom to eat whatever the hell they want means I have the freedom not to care about their insulin needs, or pay for their diabetes-caused leg amputation, or support them now that they can never work again. There are very, very few scenarios in which one is really "not hurting anyone else" with their behavior.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #47
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh Clod. Why do you hate America?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #48
Rhianne
Nearly done.

From myfoodlooksfunny
Attached Images

Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #49
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Not much of a rebuttal, classic.
Let him prove it. I've seen nothing to support his claim. Heck the only cites he ever offers is his own dribble from years ago. Hardly worth reading.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You don't accept drinking diet soda would be better for you than drinking regular soda? I know there have been claims diet soda ain't great, but the advantage of eliminating all that sugar is just common sense.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #51
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Are there other chemicals in diet soda that are not present in regular soda?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #52
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
From myfoodlooksfunny
That freaking rocks...
Old 06-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #53
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

“It's the diabetes and heart issues and cancers treatments BEFORE they die that are so expensive.”

Sure. And who should absorb the cost? The diabetic, the heart patient, the cancer patient, that’s who.

Spreading the misery only makes more folks miserable…those with cancer still have it; those with diabetes still have it, and on and on, no matter how many non-sick folks chip in.

No friggin’ guarantees in this (or any other) life…some folks have a fabulous time of it; others suffer for the entirety of it…this is the way it is.

Do what you can to self-preserve, expect nothing from any one.

#

“…if you think you aren't paying for them, you are deluding yourself.”

Oh, indirectly, by way of artificial links between me and him and her, I’m sure I pay something…but not directly, no. You probably do, being a *law-abider and all…*shrug*

#

“…he only wants RESTAURANTS to stop selling large drinks…”

Translated: he wants to interfere in the activities of private business owners and the voluntary transactions between those business owners and customers.

**Hoorah for him.

#

“Freedom to eat whatever the hell they want means I have the freedom not to care about their insulin needs, or pay for their diabetes-caused leg amputation, or support them now that they can never work again.”

Yes! Exactly! Not a complicated notion, is it? If, as a smoker, I contract a cancer, not a one of you is obligated (beyond the copious bleeding of your hearts) to do a damn thing for me. That you all allow yourselves to be hoodwinked into (1) believing you are obligated, and (2) allowing yourselves to be bled for cash in support of that obligation, is an incredible ***stupidity and an evidence of the domestication of the West.

*sucker
**piss on him
***’homo sapien’ my nicotine-enriched ass
Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #54
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Life doesn't work that way...
Old 06-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #55
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I get really sick of paying healthcare for the billions of children people feel they aren't complete without popping out, and all their health problems real or imagined.

No, really I don't. As a part of a society I figure it's the cost of admission: sometimes it covers selfish and stupid decisions.

Yeah yeah, you got it bad, here's some more money, hope it's cured, blah blah.

And the bottom line is regulating the size a cup a restaurant can use is so ludicrous I'd think this were an April Fool's joke if it were the right time of year.

I'll be looking forward to the studies showing a smaller 'large' cup size virtually wipes out obesity and all the problems associated with it. Even the smarter than thous must realize how far-fetched that is.

Now go stuff some Cheezy Poofs in your face and leave me alone. YOu can have my diet coke when you pry it from my cold, dead, hands.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #56
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

No one expects limiting soda cup sizes will wipe out obesity just like no one expects banning incandescent light bulbs will wipe out global warming. It's designed to have a small symbolic effect by taking advantage of people's laziness. You may refill your smaller cup two or three times but most people won't, at least on a regular basis.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #57
henry quirk

"Now go stuff some Cheezy Poofs in your face and leave me alone." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Life doesn't work that way..."

I take it you mean: 'Do what you can to self-preserve, expect nothing from any one.'

That's exactly how it works...that so many are now blind to this is -- again -- an evidence of widespread domestication.

'Teaching' folks to 'play nice' can work, sure...but: such a lesson is surface-only, tenuous, and comes crashing down the second the largely non-existent foundation for such 'education' is challenged.

I'll say it again, in expanded form: Do what you can to self-preserve (feed yourself, clothe yourself, attend to your wounds and illnesses, take hold of yourself in worrying times, be wise during abundant ones...the stupid, weak, mercenary, etc. are sitting on your stoop just begging to be let in...lock your door)...

...and...

...expect nothing from any one (don't be stupid, weak, or mercenary...you have all the tools you need to live...use them, use your 'self').

Nothing I'm saying here precludes alliance, cooperation, 'working together'; everything I'm saying here precludes catering to the demands of the weak, the stupid, the lazy, the (self)terminally 'compassionate' or the greedy.

Each of you should do exactly, with your time, resources, 'self', as you like (up to and including self-cruxification if you think such a thing will do any good for any one)...I simply claim the same for myself (to attempt to do as I choose).

Bloomberg apparently believes himself wiser (or more likely, more compassionate) than other folks...so much so, he must 'save' them from themselves.

Arrogance (that he shares with any- and every-one who believes him- or her-self 'leader', elected, appointed, declared, or born into).
Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #58
henry quirk

"small symbolic effect"

Incrementalism. Boil the man alive (and without complaint) by slowly raising the temperature half a degree every hour...additionally: ply him with distraction.

The result: human stew.

Eat hearty.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #59
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Oh Clod. Why do you hate America?
you're kidding, right? what's more american than privatizing profit and socializing risk?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #60
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Incrementalism. Boil the man alive (and without complaint) by slowly raising the temperature half a degree every hour...additionally: ply him with distraction.

The result: human stew.

Eat hearty.
Smarter than the average bear.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abandon hope, get yo dick out my cola!, holier than sow, jackassery, mind your own business, nosey parker, schmuck