The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #76
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

complete control by an "elite" few SHOULD NOT not be one of them.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #77
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I'm not waving a red flag around, it is just a response to Quirk's "Do what you can to self-preserve, expect nothing from any one" statement. Investing in a healthy society can mean many things but complete control by an "elite" few is not one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
complete control by an "elite" few SHOULD NOT not be one of them.
He was right the first time. If you are talking about what constitutes a healthy society, "complete control by an elite few" is *not* an option, not merely should not.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #78
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Oye' Not the way I originally read his post, but I agree with both.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #79
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Bloomberg is now going after mlkshakes and popcorn. Next: cotton candy and lollipops. Soon, the only simple pleasures that will be allowed in any size are drugs and alcohol. Prohibiting them has never worked. Hmmmm.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #80
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Next: cotton candy and lollipops. Soon, the only simple pleasures that will be allowed in any size are drugs and alcohol.
Popcorn and lollipops are not killing people. Either is masterbation. Stop worrying about bans that will not be implemented.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #81
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"I would much rather invest in a healthy society than invest in being completely independent from society during a worse case scenario."

As you like. As I say up-thread, 'Each of you should do exactly, with your time, resources, 'self', as you like (up to and including self-cruxification if you think such a thing will do any good for any one)...I simply claim the same for myself (that is: to attempt to do as I choose).'
Old 06-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #82
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

"No More Popcorn for your you fat fuckers!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...nd-milkshakes/
Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #83
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Give it another month or two and they'll ban restaurants from serving any meals over 400 calories total and add mandatory exercise to The Ban Plan.

"Everyone able to move must add at least an hour of vigorous exercise to their daily routine. Those who do not comply will face a $200 fine, payable by parents in the case of minors. Daily exercise must be verified by a city health inspector in one of several to-be-opened City Fitness Centers. The inspector monitor your exercise to be sure your pulse rate has reached minimum peak efficiency range for your gender."

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #84
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
(up to and including self-cruxification if you think such a thing will do any good for any one).'
Give up, mate, there's no way you can get that last nail in.

Yeah, eating lots of processed sugary foods and not exercising is bad for your health.

Like pretty much everyone else here said, people have the right to make their own choices and spend their lives the way they want.

You can deny yourself all mildly harmful pleasures and live 110 years of boredom and discomfort. You can binge on heroin and be dead by 21. Somewhere between these two is a zone of good value hedonistic returns, but for the gubmint to try to enforce one (medium) size fits all choices is stupid.

I wonder if this issue will make people acknowledge that drug prohibition is equally stupid.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #85
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Don't ban big drinks. Ban the use of high fructose corn syrup as a cheap sweetener in food and drink.

That stuff switches off the mechanism that signals to the brain that we're full. It also is, if recent studies are to be believed, addictive and harmful. Forget lowfat, low calorie options, it's the sugar and in particular the fructose that's the big danger. And that isn't down to the consumer, or the outlet, it's all in the manufacturing. Even if a consumer wants to avoid fructose, well, good luck with that because it's in everything. Biscuits, burgers, breads and sodas.

Unfortunately every time an attempt is made by anybody in the fucking world to make that point the US Corn lobby goes into overdrive. The WHO was about to put out a report condemning the use of the stuff and setting out its health implcations. In response the US corn lobby directly lobbied WHO and told them if they continued then the $1/2 a billion in US contributions would be withheld. Report buried. Everybody go back to using high fructose corn syrup in everything. Nothing to see here, move along please.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #86
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Interesting article about this on the BBC. There was a documentary a couple of nights ago. Scary stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18393391

Quote:
"It doesn't have a toxic effect like lead. It's not comparable to lead or mercury, but it's the quantity that just makes it toxic," he says.

Fructose is easily converted to fat in the body, and scientists have found that it also suppresses the action of a vital hormone called leptin.

"Leptin goes from your fat cells to your brain and tells your brain you've had enough, you don't need to eat that second piece of cheesecake," says Dr Robert Lustig, an endocrinologist.

He says when the liver is overloaded with sugars, leptin simply stops working, and as a result the body doesn't know when it's full.

"It makes your brain think you're starving and now what you have is a vicious cycle of consumption, disease and addiction. Which explains what has happened the world over," he says.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #87
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I always though it was more the over-consumption of sugars than specifically high fructose corn syrup (FHCS) that was linked to obesity and all those other effects?

Its extremely difficult to find an unbiased study but from what I have read, which is very limited, it seems that separating the effect from HFCS and other sugars is difficult. It is hard to tell whether sugars in general have helped the rise of obesity or if a disproportionate amount is from FHCS.

I do agree with the fundamental point though.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #88
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I always though it was more the over-consumption of sugars than specifically high fructose corn syrup (FHCS) that was linked to obesity and all those other effects?
Corn syrup means nutritional items from other ingredients can be removed. Replacing with corn syrup also increases profits. Ie new Coke. The old formula was based in extracts from food that had some nutritional value (ie oranges). The new Coke was pure sugar.

Detecting sugar difference is difficult. Beechnut, a company caught repeatedly subverting their foods, sold corn syrup as Apple juice. Their scientist had difficulty discovering that their Apple juice was only sugar water. When eventually discovered and reported it to top management. He later overhead top management laughing during a party about how well the scam out of Brooklyn was working. That is when he went to the government.

Consumer Reports detailed the research, scam and coverup. The bottom line applies. Corn syrup and other sugars are similar and difficult to differentiate.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #89
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The cartoonists are having a field day.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #90
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

More.
Attached Images

Tags
abandon hope, get yo dick out my cola!, holier than sow, jackassery, mind your own business, nosey parker, schmuck