The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #31
freshnesschronic
Professor

I'm betting they have character disorders, which are different from mental disorders. But since they have character disorders they are not mental cases and therefore possess normal human characteristics with just some major concerning flaws in their personalities.

A perfect example of underage sexual predators, except these boys are just that, boys.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, they are much, much more than "just boys" They are scum, degenerates, rapists, sadists, torturers, thieves, lowlife mother fuckers that should never see the light of day again.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #33
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
I'm betting they have character disorders, which are different from mental disorders. But since they have character disorders they are not mental cases and therefore possess normal human characteristics with just some major concerning flaws in their personalities.

A perfect example of underage sexual predators, except these boys are just that, boys.
Character Disorders? What is that? I've never seen that in a diagnostics manual........maybe you have a newer version.
Maybe you are referring to "personility disorders". Which is also a mental disorder. Maybe you are referring to organic vs. non- organic?

In keeping with your verbiage anyway....let's give you an example as to why your logic doesn't work:

1. I have a flaw in my personality because I procrastinate heavily. (true)
2. I have a flaw in my personality because I procrastinate heavily and gun rape someone in front of their son.
(false)
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #34
Uisge Beatha
Lecturer

I have been trying to sort through my thoughts and feelings on this since yesterday morning. The extremity of this attack arouses terrible disgust and anger in me; my gut reaction is along the lines of "hang 'em." However, I can't allow wild emotion to dictate my response. As Dana, glatt, and SG said, the law is clear and I believe it must be followed. We have to protect society from vicious brutes, yet we must take care to remember the difference between justice and vegeance while doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Then we become what they are.
No difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
That logic really only works with murderers, rkz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
snip~Now RK do you think that makes me a mother rapsit?
I doubt rk meant it quite so literally as that. My blood boils and my skin crawls as I think about what these teens did. Their acts are unconscionable. However, I know that were I to employ extreme and violent means in dealing with them, I would become the very thing I hate. Lock them away to prevent a repeat attack? Yes. Kill or dismember them? I could not, in good conscience, act so similarly to how they have.
Uisge Beatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #35
rkzenrage

Exactly.
Employ the tactics of what you hate, become that thing, precisely that thing with NO difference.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #36
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I believe the boys who did this are a product of their environment and yes it is a shame.
But if a pitbull is raised to be vicious and it attacks someone, you don't just say "well he was a product of his evironment and maybe we can show him the error of his ways. Once an animal has committed an act this horrible, you put it down becuase it will do it again if it gets the chance.

And hopefully we can try to make places like that better so this won't happen again.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #37
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uisge Beatha View Post
I have been trying to sort through my thoughts and feelings on this since yesterday morning. The extremity of this attack arouses terrible disgust and anger in me; my gut reaction is along the lines of "hang 'em." However, I can't allow wild emotion to dictate my response. As Dana, glatt, and SG said, the law is clear and I believe it must be followed. We have to protect society from vicious brutes, yet we must take care to remember the difference between justice and vegeance while doing so.

I doubt rk meant it quite so literally as that. My blood boils and my skin crawls as I think about what these teens did. Their acts are unconscionable. However, I know that were I to employ extreme and violent means in dealing with them, I would become the very thing I hate. Lock them away to prevent a repeat attack? Yes. Kill or dismember them? I could not, in good conscience, act so similarly to how they have.
Yeah, you can lock them up, let them sit around and glorify their actions with their new friends, and let them get out on good behavior after a couple of years........ I wonder what comes next? Maybe by then they will have matured enough to cover up their crimes more effectively and not get caught. Still up against the same little monsters...except (oh joy) a little older, stronger, and clever.

It's worse than murder, those people have to live with what happened. Those little demons made sure of that didn't they? Why didn't they kill them both?
Because they knew it would be too horrible for anyone to live with.
So of course, that's what they did.
What makes you think that woman and her son don't deserve revenge? I think they do.
Oh, but we aren't speaking literally and we are too "civilized" to know our a** from our elbow.
I think your initial reaction was the honest one until you intellectualized it to make your self feel better.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #38
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Character Disorders? What is that? I've never seen that in a diagnostics manual........maybe you have a newer version.
Maybe you are referring to "personility disorders". Which is also a mental disorder. Maybe you are referring to organic vs. non- organic?

In keeping with your verbiage anyway....let's give you an example as to why your logic doesn't work:

1. I have a flaw in my personality because I procrastinate heavily. (true)
2. I have a flaw in my personality because I procrastinate heavily and gun rape someone in front of their son.
(false)
Google "character disorder", I learned it in college pyschology class, from a documentary on sex offenders who are incarcerated but not as harshly as other criminals and receive outside help to identify their character disorder.
I don't know if it's right, I just thought MAYBE that could be a possibility, so get off me man. And yes it is different from personality disorder, I can't remember how but it is.

I never pardoned the wrongdoings of the boys, but I was suggesting that MAYBE it could be because of character disorder. But maybe not, I'm not a psychologist, but hey, neither are you.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What possible difference does it make what kind of disorder the monsters have. Are you going to worry about what kind of disorder Godzilla might have while he eats the god damn city?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #40
Uisge Beatha
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs
And hopefully we can try to make places like that better so this won't happen again.
Indeed, we need to clean up many such situations. In this, I agree with Bullitt; the U.S. has to improve the public education system as one means toward the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
What makes you think that woman and her son don't deserve revenge? I think they do.
Oh, but we aren't speaking literally and we are too "civilized" to know our a** from our elbow.
I think your initial reaction was the honest one until you intellectualized it to make your self feel better.
I'm afraid it just isn't that simple, at least not for me. In fact, I have a very small insight into some of the horror of that family. My marriage fell apart a few years ago largely because of emotional problems my wife has. The woman that I still love (despite lousy things that happened between us) was molested by her own uncle when she was six years old. Needless to say, this affected her deeply and scarred her for life. When I first heard about this, my stomach almost emptied itself and I thought I would kill her uncle if I ever met him. She somehow has found enough of a way to deal with it to at least keep herself from violence and convince me to do likewise. This is definitley not the same thing as being that woman or her child, yet I do know the feeling of rage and dealing with it.

I previously said I favor locking up the attackers. Most likely this should be for life, without chance of parole. I still can't agree with more violence, however. It has to stop somewhere.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Indeed, we need to clean up many such situations. In this, I agree with Bullitt; the U.S. has to improve the public education system as one means toward the goal.
Don't blame this shit on the schools.
Quote:
He dropped out of school after spending three years in seventh grade.
The schools tried, but he dropped out. This is clearly the fault of the parents/families, nobody else.

Quote:
I'm afraid it just isn't that simple, at least not for me. In fact, I have a very small insight into some of the horror of that family. My marriage fell apart a few years ago largely because of emotional problems my wife has. The woman that I still love (despite lousy things that happened between us) was molested by her own uncle when she was six years old. Needless to say, this affected her deeply and scarred her for life. When I first heard about this, my stomach almost emptied itself and I thought I would kill her uncle if I ever met him. She somehow has found enough of a way to deal with it to at least keep herself from violence and convince me to do likewise. This is definitley not the same thing as being that woman or her child, yet I do know the feeling of rage and dealing with it.

I previously said I favor locking up the attackers. Most likely this should be for life, without chance of parole. I still can't agree with more violence, however. It has to stop somewhere.
OK, don't fry the little fuckers, just do to them what they did to this family, for the rest of their lives.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #42
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
previously said I favor locking up the attackers. Most likely this should be for life, without chance of parole. I still can't agree with more violence, however. It has to stop somewhere.
There's no violence in prison? We'll just lock them away from the rest of us and pat ourselves on the back for being civilized then?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #43
Cicero

Quote:
This is definitley not the same thing as being that woman or her child, yet I do know the feeling of rage and dealing with it.
Not the same thing because
you haven't even given a scenario where you were actually a victim.
Special insight?
Nah.......
Old 07-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #44
Uisge Beatha
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
OK, don't fry the little fuckers, just do to them what they did to this family, for the rest of their lives.
I must maintain my personal aversion to violence as I just can't see any value in it. In all honesty, what would you hope to achieve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
There's no violence in prison? We'll just lock them away from the rest of us and pat ourselves on the back for being civilized then?
Touché. By all accounts, prison is a terrible place. Perhaps the methods of incarceration can be addressed. I will be the first to admit that I have few, if any, of the important answers. I simply feel the need to find alternatives to brute tactics.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I must maintain my personal aversion to violence as I just can't see any value in it. In all honesty, what would you hope to achieve?
Make sure they never do it again plus a deterrent the the fuckers in waiting.