The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 11-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #3226
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

"Speak English or GTFO", proponents are not going to like this.
Quote:
Every year, the US Census Bureau releases data on the languages spoken in American homes. Usually it groups the languages in 39 major categories. Now it has released much more detailed figures, which show that Americans speak not 39, but more than 320 distinct languages.

The bureau collected the data from 2009 to 2013 as part of the American Community Survey, which asks Americans all kinds of questions to create highly granular estimates on various demographic indicators. The new data estimate that more than 60 million Americans speak a language other than English at home.
The published list withholds 32 languages for which the government won't reveal the raw numbers, "out of concern that the number would be small enough to let anyone de-anonymize the data".
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #3227
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

With only a couple of exceptions, many states are not represented.

I guess they all speak just one common language:

Name:  Drawl_2.png
Views: 229
Size:  104.2 KB
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:46 PM   #3228
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

WTF, why is New England orange... and cut off?
Old 11-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #3229
Lamplighter

Maybe they ran out of yellow ?
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #3230
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
... and cut off?
Jewish?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #3231
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

10 Craziest Turkey Cooking Questions From The Butterball Hotline

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #3232
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The best advice if you find yourself in a terror attack: Do not play dead

That article contains this link to the UK's National Counter-Terrorism Security Office's .pdf "Guidance Note 1/2015".

Last edited by Gravdigr; 11-19-2015 at 01:29 PM. Reason: one of these--->.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:10 PM   #3233
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

For you Brits.
Quote:
The government is apparently very keen to hear our views on the proposed NHS mandate. But you’d better be quick; you have until 23 November to comment. And if you’re wondering how you missed such an important opportunity to comment on the future of the NHS, you’re not alone. Critics say the Department of Health has deliberately kept it quiet, with little publicity and only a month for the public to comment since the launch in October.

The mandate’s important. In its own words: “The mandate to NHS England sets the government’s objectives for NHS England, as well as its budget.” It “sets direction for the NHS, and helps ensure the NHS is accountable to parliament and the public”. A fresh mandate has to be published every year “to ensure that NHS England’s objectives remain up to date”. A new mandate is due to be published following the completion of the spending review, to take effect from April 2016. There’s a consultation document that sets out how the government proposes to set the mandate to NHS England for this parliament. And it’s this document that we’re invited to respond to.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:50 AM   #3234
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Thank you. It's a well-kept secret!

Sent by thought transference
Old 12-01-2015, 02:46 AM   #3235
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Terrorism in the US.
Quote:
The RAND Database of Worldwide Terrorism Incidents (RDWTI) contains data on terrorist incidents worldwide from 1968 through 2009. Terrorism is defined as the deliberate creation and exploitation of fear through violence or the threat of violence in the pursuit of political change.
If you buy their definition, they list 567 incidents in the US between 1968 and 2009.
The #1 perp group with 140 or 25% of the total, is anti-Castro Cubans.
The #2 perp group with 62 or 10% of the total, is the Jewish Defense League.
link
Old 12-01-2015, 06:24 AM   #3236
Griff
still says videotape

I guess the various white supremacist groups are considered as separate entities? We see more of those fucks around here, rural Amerika, than disgruntled Cubans and Jews. Still the Klan alone would put up some numbers.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #3237
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, I read PA has more white supremacist groups than any other state, and see a lot of it in Lancaster/York/Lebanon counties. I prefaced that ranking with "If you buy their definition" because the "goal of political change" is tenuous. I don't think the supremacists want political change, just someone to feel better than. Nobody wants be on the bottom of the totem pole. Interesting though, the bottom of real totem poles was the most respected and revered position.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #3238
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The coffee-machine bacteriome: biodiversity and colonisation of the wasted coffee tray leach

Quote:
Abstract

Microbial communities are ubiquitous in both natural and artificial environments. However, microbial diversity is usually reduced under strong selection pressures, such as those present in habitats rich in recalcitrant or toxic compounds displaying antimicrobial properties. Caffeine is a natural alkaloid present in coffee, tea and soft drinks with well-known antibacterial properties. Here we present the first systematic analysis of coffee machine-associated bacteria. We sampled the coffee waste reservoir of ten different Nespresso machines and conducted a dynamic monitoring of the colonization process in a new machine. Our results reveal the existence of a varied bacterial community in all the machines sampled, and a rapid colonisation process of the coffee leach. The community developed from a pioneering pool of enterobacteria and other opportunistic taxa to a mature but still highly variable microbiome rich in coffee-adapted bacteria. The bacterial communities described here, for the first time, are potential drivers of biotechnologically relevant processes including decaffeination and bioremediation.
Hah, die caffeine junkies, Bwahahahaha.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:13 AM   #3239
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

The fuck does that mean
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:17 AM   #3240
fargon

I think it means, that coffee rots in the garbage. Coffee grounds make excellent fertilizer.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote