The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Job Interview

rather than hi-jack the what's making you happy thread, thought i'd just start this one. well i went for my interview. met up with my future employer and long time business acquaintance of some almost 20 years and right as we were about the leave the shop the interviewing engineer for the client called and reset the interview for friday morning. he had a proposal he needed to finish and wouldn't have the time to do the interview today. while at Za's (pronounced Z A not zah) i also found out that i would again be working with someone i worked with for the 15+ years i was at my old engineering company. cool. we got along great and used to be hunting buddies. he'd been to the old farm i had numerous times. anyway, today was not a complete wash you see. Za had to go to the client to pick up some finished equipment to ship to the field so i went with him. got to see the company from the inside meet a few people and the best part, get a feel for the atmosphere. it was kinda funny really. i was standing at someone's cubicle while Za was talking to him and i looked down at the drawings and had immediate flashbacks lol! cube life!!!! AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGG! nah, actually i can't wait to get back in. also found out that one of the hiring engineers is a long time friend of Za's so that's a plus. oh yeah, while at the shop Za showed me exactly why he wants Larry and i working for this client. get this: the lead designers are not using standard electrical symbols which throws off the guys in the shop. for example: use this legend notice on the upper right center of the legend you see a toggle switch called spst or single pole single throw. that is what you would use to represent a light switch. they are using what's called a n.o. contact or normally open contact. in the case of the reference legend it's shown top dead center of the sheet labeled here as non-polarized. not only is this incorrect it shows what kind of job they are doing. looks like larry and my objective will be not only design compressor stations but QA/QC on drawings going out for construction. so, i go back friday and meet with the engineers and see if i can't get back in the saddle again! i'm tired as all get out. i need a nap but i gotta cook supper. making my bad ass chile again! mmmmm!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Told ya.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
i need a nap but i gotta cook supper. making my bad ass chile again! mmmmm!
So. When you call this chile bad-ass -- are you describing the results?

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
So. When you call this chile bad-ass -- are you describing the results?
BWAHAHAHAHA! indeed!

@bruce: we'll see mate. we'll see. i can hear the chicks pecking at the shell but i'm not gonna count them until they hatch.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Whether you get the job or not, it's gonna be a great year for you, I'm tellin' ya.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

for your support sir! very much appreciated!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

It's good to see you so positive and happy!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

ty sweetheart! it's good to be positive and happy. no one likes to be down. well maybe there are exceptions to that rule. i can think of one person in my past. i'll tell ya this though, your quick wit in some of these threads makes me laugh a mile! thank you! i love to laugh. i love to joke. y'all know this. i tend to joke more than i'm serious on here but that's just my nature. if it's one thing i have learned over the last 5 years is this: never, and i mean NEVER, say it can't get any worse. because it can. but remember this: all cloudy days eventually give way to clear skies!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Good Luck brother !!!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

ty sir. have to quote your tag line:

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. "
Brother Dave Gardner
Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

See why i havent changed it in Years
Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

yessir!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Here's to clear skies all the way Plthijinx *raises a glass*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

plthijinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
oh yeah, while at the shop Za showed me exactly why he wants Larry and i working for this client. get this: the lead designers are not using standard electrical symbols which throws off the guys in the shop. for example: use this legend notice on the upper right center of the legend you see a toggle switch called spst or single pole single throw. that is what you would use to represent a light switch. they are using what's called a n.o. contact or normally open contact. in the case of the reference legend it's shown top dead center of the sheet labeled here as non-polarized. not only is this incorrect it shows what kind of job they are doing.
More confusing is text that does not use capital letters at the start of every sentence. What was posted could take two different interpretations. Without knowing, with certainty, what you are saying, well, that legend is standard electrical symbols for generations (except for the fuse symbol). Either you were saying engineers were using those symbols or saying they were not. It's not clear.

NO and NC contacts do not exist for a SPST switch. NO and NC contacts only exist on momentary switches. Either I am contracting what you posted, or am clarifying confusion for others.

Also every terminal connection typically has a number or letter to uniquely identify each connection.

That is what ECNs or ECOs are for. After a prototype, the shop provides an engineer with corrections to eliminate any confusion or to add any missing terminal identification.

QC is a program for failure. QA means an engineer has attitude and knowledge as taught by W E Deming. Else this confusion only continues. QC is a bureaucracy created by management to fix quality because management is the actual problem.

Bad management creates a wall that designs are thrown over when management, instead, makes decisions from spreadsheets. When management does not come from where the work gets done. Then QA does not exist. Then QC is created by management to mask a real problem.

You may want to consider that job with greater caution. It sounds, in some ways, like you would be hired to be the enemy of a problem that you cannot solve.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote