The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #16
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Boring commercials that try to innundate you with a lot of information. These are typically for OTC antacids or vitamins or skin creams. I want my commercials funny and peppy and zippy and feeding my need for bright shiny objects and humor.

I do not like the one that I seem to see at least once daily where the guy draws his digestive tract in his mashed potatoes, drops a lima bean in the trough, and then explains colonoscopy and good rectal health to his female friends at the diner. And that one for the NSAID, where the lady in the marathon gets referred to by the name of the medication as though it's a nickname. I won't buy the product because I despise the ad so much. Okay, and also because I get free Motrin from a friend who works for McNeil. I haven't bought OTC pain meds in the last five years or so.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #17
pourbill
Do-er of Deeds

It's a pea, not a lima bean. He says it's a polyp and then eats it! This "this is my body, take and eat" stuff makes me cringe.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #18
Cloud

ooh, yeah, the prescription drug ones bug me. They have to put so many disclaimers on them, it's like, Oh--take this and you'll be fine. Except for the possibility of stroke, heart attack, and DEATH!

Yeah, makes me want to run out and buy that stuff, so'nuf
Old 04-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #19
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

All those deodorant and body-spray ads for guys. First of all because they're generally pretty degrading to women, but mostly because the idea that being surrounded by a cloud of fumes is going to turn their target market of ungainly teenage boys into a gang of suave ladykillers is so ridiculous.

I'm also not a fan of the cavemen.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #20
jinx
Come on, cat.

Mr. Barky VonSchnauzer.

I wanna hurt that guy. And that know-it-all Orkin Man.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #21
freshnesschronic
Professor

A recent good one and fairly new one is where a basketball player is stretching his calf on the ground. Some random guy with a towel on his knee walks up and explains his muscle tension and goes about massaging his leg. The player says "Oh you trainers are so good to me" with which the "trainer" says "Trainer? I'm actually not a trainer. But I did save a lot of money on my car insurance." The player is like O_____O
Hah!
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #22
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I love this one:

Happy FUN BALL!
-only $14.95-

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.
Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
Happy Fun Ball Contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.

Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs:
Itching
Vertigo
Dizziness
Tingling in extremities
Loss of balance or coordination
Slurred speech
Temporary blindness
Profuse sweating
Heart palpitations

If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration...

Failure to do so relieves the makers of Happy Fun Ball, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #23
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

The new Aflac commercial with the goat. I don't know why but I laugh out loud every time I see that!

Yes, this is a commercials you hate thread, but I thought it silly to start a new thread titled commercials you love, especially with the strict rules and regulations governing thread-starting.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #24
Cloud

I'm reviving thread, 'cause there are a few commercials I'd like to comment on:

Beyonce in a commercial for cable upgrades, dancing and glittering, la la la I'm a beatiful, sexy woman--upgrade your cable! WTF?

The Hyundai commercial that has the choir singing, "Duh, duh, duh . . . " is pretty funny.

there are more, but that's all I can think of right now.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:53 AM   #25
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

One commercial I really hate which I don't know if you would get are the ones for 'motha' energy drinks. They have quite scarey looking creatures in them and I don't think they're suitable for G viewing times.

Actually, I did make a comment about that to the TV ratings place. I've noticed they're not on anymore. I'm wondering if other people complained too.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #26
binky
all hollowed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I don't like those Cadillac commercials that play Led Zeppelin. That's just . . . wrong
I agree, don't they have enough money without selling out, or do you think it was just to be able to hear their song on TV?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #27
binky
all hollowed out

The Mercury Insurance ads- We've been with them for ten years, and it never occured to me that the agent might be an alien
Old 12-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #28
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binky View Post
I agree, don't they have enough money without selling out, or do you think it was just to be able to hear their song on TV?
Face it - they are playing music that appeals to the generation they are marketing to - us. Reality is that we are getting older and this is just the beginning. Remember the old people your parents liked who were doing the "celebrity endorsements" when you were a kid. Those will soon be people that are +/- 10 years your age. Your tv heros, villians, hotties the people you loved to hate and so on will be hocking their wares and pushing life insurance, beds and all kinds of products.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #29
Cloud

I want to grow up and be like those guys who are The Crystal Method, who must be making a fucking fortune off their music in commercials, movies, & tv shows like CSI.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #30
busterb
NSABFD

The blaring sob about fast & reckless driving for teenagers

Tags
commercials