The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Thinking about going back to Uni

I'm thinking in the next educational year which will start in about Feb 2013. The baby will probably be about 4 or 5 months old by then. I'm thinking about doing an online bachelors degree in social science majoring in psychology with a view to getting into youth counselling after the midgets are at school which gives me about 5 years to finish a 3yr full time course, but I have up to 8 years to complete it.

I think I might get some credit for the large part of my education degree which I've completed. Maybe even a whole years worth. Probably wont be that lucky, but probably at least one semesters worth, which would mean 6 months less to study.

So anyway, do you think I'm being stupid? I've been thinking about it for a while now, so it's not a spur of the moment thing. I think I can handle it as long as I don't have issues with my own mental health after the new baby is born. I figure by 5 or 6 months old, the baby will be starting to be interested in stuff Max is doing so might be more occupied and I'll get to do my study during nap times and after bed time.

Originally when I started my education degree I wanted to do youth counselling, but I let my brother talk me out of it, but I feel that this is really the area I want to work in, so I'm feeling like I'm heading in the right direction now. To add to that, my experiences with my own kids and some other situations I've been involved in have really fortified my view that it's an area where for whatever reason, I have some skills to offer just through my life experience and my level of compassion for the troubles kids face these days.

So anyway, what do you reckon?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

go for it.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Ibby
erika

I totally think everyone who has the access and ability should get the most education they can get, and I can tell you want to do it for all the right reasons. The world needs more people who want to dedicate themselves to helping youths. Do it! you clearly want to!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Certainly cannot hurt, Ali. At least it'll keep you busy and give you something else to complain about. Dazza will thank you
Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Aliantha

haha...I doubt he'll thank me classic. He'll probably get the shits because I'll explain to him that he needs to pull his weight more around here if I'm to have any chance of passing the course. He will think he's already doing as much as he can, but I'll point out that if he wants to have less burden for the income in the family, it would be much better if I get some qualifications. That will probably keep him happy for about 10 mins.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Aliantha

Ib, I agree that there is a great need for more people to work in youth counselling, especially in relation to drug and alcohol abuse. There is a massive problem in our area with drug abuse starting from very young ages, so it's something I feel very strongly about. Having been through the problem with Aden a couple of years ago (although it was only pot but still, he was only 12 at the time) really opened my eyes. I mean that in the way that I knew the problem was there, but having to deal with it personally gave me a different perspective. I think we dealt with it well as a family unit also, and drawing on those sorts of experiences is where I think I can help. I don't mean I think I have all the answers, but I think being more mature than a lot of people heading into this field of study might give me some advantage also. Not to mention my own journey through those types of behavioural issues which is what forms the basis for my understanding.

Anyway, we'll see how things pan out over the next few months. I'll have to spend some time getting the family used to the idea that I wont be at their beck and call any more. I think that will be the biggest challenge really.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
Aliantha

monster, I think I will. It's just a bit nerve wracking to contemplate at the moment.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Anyway, we'll see how things pan out over the next few months. I'll have to spend some time getting the family used to the idea that I wont be at their beck and call any more. I think that will be the biggest challenge really.
I'm not much of a family girl myself, and wouldn't begin to pretend I understand what being a mother is like, but my advice - or at least, perspective - is that that's something they should learn either way. I can imagine that it'd be a rough transition. I know it was an interesting shift in my family's dynamic when my mother started working. But it's more than my feminism that leads me to say that it would be a positive force, and ultimately productive and good, to not have people assume you'd be at their beck and call. I think it sets bad precedent, when becks and calls are the order of the day. No offense of course. I dont mean that you've done wrong, and i'm sure you lovingly exaggerate when you say beck and call. You do what you do for them because you love them, not because you owe them or because they rule you, and that still gives you all the right to have your own life, pursue your own interests and studies. You will love them no less - you'll just have your own things to do, and they, loving you, will understand that you can love them without doing chores for them all day.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I think it's awesome! Please, though, investigate the program you are looking at. Things may be entirely different over there, so I'm sorry if the warning is moot, but over here there are many programs that are 'accredited' but the question is 'accredited by whom'? In some cases, years later, a person decides to go even further with their education only to find that their credits they worked for (and paid beaucoup tuition for) won't transfer and they have to start over.

(Sorry, inflicted by my profession. I probably look really stupid because it doesn't apply over there or something, but I had to put in my two cents, just in case.)

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Go for it. Those kinds of programs are generally quite flexible in how you progress with them, so you do it little by little, then when your children are a little older you can take more on if you want.
Having something you actually want to do is great, so you should pursue it.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Fantastic idea, Ali! Definitely go for it!

You won't regret it when you are finished...you might hit moments when you are asking yourself "why did I do this?"

I just graduated last weekend, so I guess right now I am all about "go back to school."
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I don't see why not. If you've been thinking about it and you've got Dazza's suport, go for it. But hey, I'd never stop anyone from getting more education.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

In answer to your question: No, you are not being stupid.

Sounds a great idea to me Ali. I'm all in favour of educational adventures
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny View Post
I don't see why not. If you've been thinking about it and you've got Dazza's suport, go for it. But hey, I'd never stop anyone from getting more education.
Even if you don't have Dazza's support, go for it. Sisters are doin' it for themselves!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
Aliantha

IM, it's a bachelors degree and the career paths are pretty flexible. There's the option of adding honours to the end also, and then of course I can do further study if I want (although I suspect that would be unlikely). I understand what you're saying about accreditation, but this particular degree is fairly straight forward and clear with it's outcomes.

Thanks for the advice though. I know what you're saying, and it is possible to get caught out here, but social sciences are fairly similar across the board here.