352.2 Police
or maybe
022.1 Library - Administration of physical plant
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #182
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hah!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #183
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Shouldn't the vehicle markings say:

EMERGENCY
That's the D.C. Public Library Fire Dept..

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #184
glatt

Shit. I gotta scrub this mental image. Saw a cyclist or maybe a pedestrian tangled up under the rear wheels of a tour bus on my lunch walk. I looked away as soon as I realized what I was sort of seeing, so I am not sure which it was. This was before emergency personnel arrived and there was just a traffic cop who had been in charge of that intersection standing there blowing her whistle furiously at all the cars that were trying to drive around. Nothing for me to do for that guy under there.

She's got to feel some responsibility since that probable death happened in her intersection while she was directing traffic. I hate it when cops direct traffic in intersections. They are not good at it and everyone gets all panicky and behaves erratically.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #185
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They appear to be not good at directing traffic, but I think much of the blame goes to the drivers who can't understand hand signs. In their defense, they rarely see traffic lights replaced with a live person, but some are really clueless. They can't even follow simple commands from road construction flagmen.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #186
glatt

I didn't see the accident, but I imagine she waved the bus into its turn without stopping pedestrians and bikes first. If that's the case, the pedestrian/bike should have used their head and stopped as they saw the bus turn, and the bus driver should have used his head and stopped when he saw the pedestrian or bike in his side mirror as he was turning.

If you think about everything going on in an intersection, there are 20 different legal traffic movements that the traffic cop has to be constantly aware of and directing. Lights do a better job without losing focus. Although people (including me) ignore lights pretty regularly.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #187
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're right, both drivers and bikers/pedestrians have to think, and watch out for there own ass.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #188
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

That's awful, glatt. Sorry it happened, and sorry you had to see it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:57 PM   #189
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Better to see it, than be it.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #190
glatt

Looking back, I am glad to say I had forgotten all about that gristly accident.

I'm here to post this one I took last night. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, the engine of a semi is reached the same way, but this was a bizarre sight from a couple blocks away until I got close enough to see what was going on. The flashing lights were shining all sorts of weird directions on the nearby buildings and I couldn't figure out what was going on until I got closer.
Name:  fire engine trouble.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  74.3 KB
Old 02-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #191
glatt

On my lunch hour today.

President Underwood's portrait hanging in the Smithsonian American Art Museum, one floor down from George Washington's portraits. Right by the front door.
Name:  House of Cards.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  67.2 KB
Old 02-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #192
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Somebody done painted up they self a Verbal portrait.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #193
glatt

He's had some good roles over the years.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #194
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

He was one of my alltime favorite villains...in Se7en.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #195
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A goal for Walkin' Man.

Walt Whitman's haversack is going on display at the Library of Congress.

Quote:
Moved by the horror of the war’s damage to helpless young patients, Whitman made hundreds of visits, toting the haversack packed with fruit, brandy, sweets, tobacco, clothing, money, newspapers. He often sat with dying soldiers, comforting them, holding their hands. He wrote letters to their families after they died. He even dressed a few wounds and stayed for days and nights in a row. He wore his gray hair and bushy beard long, to seem more avuncular, but was always clad nicely to help cheer the men up.

The library plans to exhibit the haversack, which is extremely fragile, along with some of Whitman’s letters. Also on display will be one of his notebooks, in which he has penciled his terse observations: “Dec 20th Sight at the Lacy house — at the foot of tree immediately in front a heap of feet arms and human fragments . . . bloody black and blue swollen and sickening.”

The items will be presented some time next month, as the library removes pieces currently in its Civil War in America exhibit for preservation purposes and replaces them with new objects.
In combing the archives for Civil War material, they're finding many of the letters Whitman wrote for hospitalized solders because many of the letters were returned to Washington to prove the injuries were war related when applying for pensions.
link