The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 06-30-2005, 01:05 PM   #151
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Move the mouse pointer closer to and farther away from the image.

What I thought was interesting is what I thought was about normal rate was actually much, much higher.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 06-30-2005 at 01:07 PM. Reason: further/farther, which the fuck is it??
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #152
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

that is cool! (PUN ALERT!)

Poor little thing works its' "heart" out, doesn't it??
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:31 PM   #153
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

This is educational. My favorite part is this:

Quote:
All of NYC was designated a Tow Away Zone under the State’s Vehicle and Traffic Law in 1959.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:56 PM   #154
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

What kind of Pocky are you?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:13 AM   #155
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm Chocolate, but what the hell is a Pocky?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 07-08-2005, 12:16 AM   #156
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Mmmmm. Chocolate pocky. How can you wrong with chocolate?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:27 AM   #157
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Chocolate automatically fucking rules, so I know the stupid little test got things right, but that still doesn't answer the question about the product ...

Old 07-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #158
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

What the heck are "Cap Cap Ice Cream Cookies"? I don't want to be something I've never heard of, although it was rather complimentary.........I think I'd rather be chocolate.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #159
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

http://www.alde.com/anime/pocky1.html

Old 07-08-2005, 10:29 AM   #160
Elspode

Last night, when I came home from band practice, my kids revealed to me that a friend had taken them to an Oriental market, and purchased about $65.00 worth of various Oriental snacks. A large selection was in fact laid out on my and my wife's desks for our sampling pleasure.

Most of the stuff was in original packaging, but some of it was in ziplok bags, having been doled out from apparent larger containers. One of these was a rather intriguing looking, sort of fish-shaped puffy cracker thingy, not unlike a puffy, curled up Goldfish cracker...which should have been my first clue.

I grabbed a small handful, shoved them into my mouth, and began to crunch...salty...a hint of teriyaki, perhaps? And something else...something not quite...crackerlike...but...familiar. Fish. It was a frigging fish (octopus, actually) flavored cracker.

Once I realized what it was, the compulsion to get the very, very lingering taste out of my mouth was rather pervasive. I yelled at the guilty kid, who thought it was pretty damn funny that he'd managed to dupe me into eating an octopus flavored cracker, and he came in a gave me a package of Pocky. Now, at this point, I am pretty suspicious of *anything* this monster is handing me, so I read the label. No eel. No tuna testes. No seaweed.

Good enough! I crunched down a whole package before I even paused. This then led me to research Pocky, whereupon I discovered that it was basically a pretzel stick with chocolate and other pleasant comestibles embedded thereupon. One site claims that it is the biggest selling treat in Japan, comparable to M&M's in the States.

Still, anything else Oriental and (allegedly) edible that comes into my house is going to be vetted for any signs of unexpected fish flavoring from here on out. I wish I could have read the package for those crackers, though, because I would really like to know...was it genuine octopus, or just artificial octopus flavoring?
Old 07-08-2005, 10:33 AM   #161
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

one of the guys in my office ccasionally brings in "shrimp chips" - they're like fish flavored pork rinds or funyuns...........nasty.
(and where would you get artificial octopus flavoring? I guess from the same people who make imitation crab?)

Old 07-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #162
breakingnews
Q_Q

You guys are lame. Shrimp chips, fish jerky (I bet you don't wanna know), dried seaweed - it's all soooo good.

My favorite is ... well, it's basically dry instant noodles with the seasoning on it. I eat bag after bag when I'm over there.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #163
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

I do like alligator jerky - does that count?

Old 07-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #164
Elspode

There was some mention of Octopus jerky in our subsequent, err...conversations following the incident. That stuff is like rubber to begin with. I would think that Octopus jerky would make a pretty good organic tire.

I have no objection to the instant noodles with seasoning. I have yet to find Octopus flavored Ramen at Wal Mart.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:21 AM   #165
jinx
Come on, cat.

Mmmm.. alligator
My experience with octopus is limited to sushi. It's ok, very mild flavored, more of a textural thing. I don't order it, but if its in my combo or chirashi I eat it. I'd probably skip the crackers though.
I'm completely addicted to seaweed salad right now, but dried doesn't appeal to me unless its completely different than the little bit of dried wakame I tasted before I put it in the miso.