The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #121
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
If your dog is outside a fence with no leash, and you are nowhere in sight, you should be fined.

One of our neighbor's dogs (a pit bull puppy) got loose the other day and attacked a woman walking her dog (a shitzu). And the puppy KNEW the dog/woman he attacked. She lives in a small rental unit behind their house. She told the police she didn't want to file charges or have anything happen to the puppy. The shitzu that was attacked was taken to my vet. She (vet) told us the injured dog was OK, it wasn't really hurt. All the blood in the street (and there was a LOT) and on the dog actually belonged to the woman, because she was bitten numerous times while trying to get her dog away from the puppy.

I didn't even KNOW the people had a dog, and apparently they have THREE, all pit bulls. They never walk them, which is probably WHY there was a problem in the first place. I swear, some people just should not have dogs. Dogs need to walk, every day. Some need to walk more than others. But they ALL need to walk. AND they ALL need discipline (rules, not punishment).
My nearest neighbor is a half mile away. I let my dogs out three times a day to potty. I never let them out of my sight.
But the law here is, if I don't have them on a leash, Badaboombaddabing. 150 bucks. Pay the man at the door. The total weight of my two dogs is 35 lbs. What a major threat to my neighbors 2640 feet down the road on the other side of a 5 lane highway.
I agree with you about leashing your pet in certain scenarios. But I've cared for my dogs 7 & 9 years without incident. Now they want me to tie a leash around my buddies' necks every time they need to go outside? I beg to differ. They'll just have to fine me. Fork 'em.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #122
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If they try to fine you, shoot the son of a bitch for trespassing.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #123
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Don't tempt me. I may get away with it if I blame it on a flashback. I AM unstable, you know.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #124
busterb
NSABFD

Sugarpop. How about we agree to disagree and you go F@## Off!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #125
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

My husband runs in our neighbood. The other day a boxer cornered him and when my husband put his hand out in a friendly gesture, the dog bit him. My husband called the cops on the owners and they are being fined. Its fine and dandy if you live in the country, but if you let your dog run loose in a populated area, you are just asking for Animal Control to pick him up.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #126
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

My dad shot his last dog that wouldn't stay inside the fenceline (it's only a barbed wire fence to keep the neighbours cows out of his property). It kept wandering up to the neighbours place which is about half a km away.

The dog he has now is pretty good. She goes for long gallops all over the place, but never goes up to the neighbours. Her favourite passtime is catching hares and rabbits.

We have two dogs, and if we leave the gate open, they'll bugger off up the street. i don't agree with dogs being 'let out' in residential areas, but when you're in a rural area, it's a bit different imo.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #127
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Oh, and I wanted to say, Hobo looks identical to a dog I had once. His name was monty and he was a chiwawa x shitzu. Same wiry coat and all. Exactly the same colouring. He was a wanderer. Actually, I should have called him hudini. He could escape any fence. If he couldn't climb it, he'd just dig under it. He spent a lot of time on a long rope, but then he'd bark.

In the end I had to find him a new home when Mum got sick. I didn't have time to look after her and chase a wayward dog all over the neighbourhood.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #128
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Sugarpop. How about we agree to disagree and you go F@## Off!
Why the hostility? I simply gave an opinion. You disagree? Fine. There is no need to be an asshole about it though.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #129
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy View Post
My nearest neighbor is a half mile away. I let my dogs out three times a day to potty. I never let them out of my sight.
But the law here is, if I don't have them on a leash, Badaboombaddabing. 150 bucks. Pay the man at the door. The total weight of my two dogs is 35 lbs. What a major threat to my neighbors 2640 feet down the road on the other side of a 5 lane highway.
I agree with you about leashing your pet in certain scenarios. But I've cared for my dogs 7 & 9 years without incident. Now they want me to tie a leash around my buddies' necks every time they need to go outside? I beg to differ. They'll just have to fine me. Fork 'em.
That is a little different. I was speaking more in terms of being in close contact with other people. And I acknowledge that some dogs can be off-leash and not run up to other people or attack or act up. Those dogs are well trained. Not all dogs are though, and it's hard to tell if a dog is off leash running around the neighborhood which he will be, unless you know the dog personally. In the country it doesn't matter as much, and I agree the laws should be different in those situations.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #130
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Yeah.... really they should have two ordinances. One for city and one for county. But they don't.
If I ever take my dogs to a congested area or any place they are not familiar with, I am sure to leash them. For their safety.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #131
binky
all hollowed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
A Jack may need obedience training before he gives a crap what you say, B.
We have a Basenji - Maybe German Shepard (?) mix that is like that. Smart sucker but willful as hell. Sweet, too (thank goodness). He is the first dog I've ever had that I actually wanted.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #132
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by binky View Post
We have a Basenji - Maybe German Shepard (?) mix that is like that. Smart sucker but willful as hell. Sweet, too (thank goodness). He is the first dog I've ever had that I actually wanted.
My ex had a Basenji once. He said she was the coolest dog. She didn't bark, but made singing noises. My husky makes really interesting sounds. She's very chatty. She is also sweet and willful as hell, I'm learning.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #133
binky
all hollowed out

Mine very rarely barks but does this great BAROOOO howl when he gets excited (as in going for a walk, his favorite thing to do)
Old 07-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #134
sugarpop
Professor

Do you by any chance have a beagle?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #135
busterb
NSABFD

Sugarpop. I apologize for my cheap shot. Too much going on.
How about we agree to disagree

Tags
dog