The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-02-2002, 10:46 PM   #1
Nic Name
retired

Stuff you just couldn't make up

Quote:
An Ontario cabinet minister resigned from his post tonight after being publicly derided as "gluttonous" and an "embarrassment" for spending tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars on high-end steak dinners, fancy hotels and in-room movies.

Tourism and Recreation Minister Cam Jackson resigned after the deputy Liberal leader publicized his $103,722 in expenses today.
Emphasis added by me.

Tell us a better one than that!
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 01:11 AM   #2
Mjk
Writer of Writings

I can't verify this, but I heard that there was assigned a Y2K minister in Netherlands when the millennium changed. He was responsible of taking care of the situation if the Y2K bug caused any damages. Somehow, I find that quite hilarious.
Mjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:14 AM   #3
Nic Name
retired

CNN gets jiggy wit it

Quote:
"In an effort to be sure we are as cutting-edge as possible with our on-screen persona, please refer to this slang dictionary when looking for just the right phrase," reads an internal Headline News memo obtained by the Daily News.

"Please use this guide to help all you homeys and honeys add a new flava to your tickers and dekos," the memo continues, referring to the graphics that appear on the busy Headline News screen.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:33 AM   #4
Nic Name
retired

Quote:
Teenager Was Pregnant 10 Times

Researchers investigating the sexual behaviour of teenage girls discovered one had been pregnant 10 times.

Her case came to light when the records were examined of 144 girls who had visited a sexual diseases clinic in London.

The girl reportedly first fell pregnant at 12 and kept two of the babies, had three abortions and lost the other five through miscarriages.

The research, published in the journal Sexually Transmitted Infections, found that the 144 girls, aged from 12 to 16, were three times more likely to have a sexually transmitted infection than older women.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:37 AM   #5
juju
no one of consequence

Of course they're more likely to be infected. People are afraid to tell them about sex. They learn it on their own anyway, and don't know how to be safe.

This is what you get for "protecting" your children from sex.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 07:39 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

*WARNING* wanders far afield

I'm all about being honest with kids about sex. I would suggest, however, that after the first abortion the kid should be pretty aware of the facts. This is where social pressure should come in. Apparently kids can have abortions without addressing any question of ethics. I hate to come off as the conservative on this one but the reality of this is that our desire to be non-judgemental can lead to patterns of behavior that are appalling no matter where we stand on the choice issue.

What made western civilization different was an increase in respect for the individuals life no matter his station. I don't want to get into the pointless arguement about whether fetus=individual but I would point out that making life cheap, and this includes the life of the poor 12 year old, is an enormous step backward. It helps sanction individual and government violence from sex (usually initiated by an older male) and street crimes to the drug and oil wars easing us back toward a society where people become the playthings of their physical or political masters and force becomes a value.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:18 PM   #7
Nic Name
retired

Tastes just like chicken ...

Zookeepers Suspended for Eating Animals
Old 10-12-2002, 05:14 PM   #8
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Army Soldier Tried to Fake Death
Police Say Fort Bragg Soldier Hatched Plan to Fake His Own Death, Sought Lookalike to Kill
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:16 PM   #9
Nic Name
retired

Woman gives birth to her own granddaughters
Old 10-17-2002, 11:19 AM   #10
Nic Name
retired

Broomstick test tells grooms whether bride is a witch

meanwhile ...witches everywhere are getting off on an exciting new broom
Old 10-18-2002, 11:22 AM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Hahaha... I got one of the best reactions of all time when I showed the Harry Potter brrom listing on Amazon to my wife.... it went something like this... "Yeah, so what? Oh. OHHHHHHHH....."
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:23 AM   #12
Nic Name
retired

Quote:
Swazi King to Marry Allegedly Abducted Teenager

VOA News

04 Nov 2002, 14:06 UTC

A teenage girl allegedly abducted by the king of Swaziland has become his official royal fiance.

The 18-year-old girl, Zenu Mahlangu, was picked up by King Mswati III's aides about a month ago. Ms. Mahlangu's mother says she was taken against her will and is suing the royal palace to prevent the pair from marrying.

The palace has asked a court to dismiss the case and told three high court judges to either drop the case or risk being fired. The chief justice of the court has defied the order.

The engagement effectively makes Ms. Mahlangu the king's 10th wife. She will become his official wife when she becomes pregnant.

Lawyers say the engagement likely destroys the lawsuit's chances for success.

Some information for this report provided by Reuters and AP.
Bill Clinton is sending the happy couple a box of cigars.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:12 AM   #13
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
THE LIST
YOU MUST BE KIDDING

Goalkeeper Lionel Letizi missed French soccer team Paris Saint-Germain's 1-0 loss to Rennes on Sunday after injuring himself Friday -- playing Scrabble. He hurt muscles in his back while picking up a letter that fell to the floor. The club declined to say which letter. Some other freak injuries that have put international soccer goalies out of action:
•*Spain's Santiago Canizares missed this year's World Cup after dropping a bottle of aftershave on his foot and damaging a tendon.
•*Arsenal goalkeeper David Seaman needed surgery after hurting himself stretching for the remote control while watching television.
•*Wigan's Dave Beasant missed matches after dropping a jar of mayonnaise on his toe.
•*Liverpool goalie Michael Stensgaard dislocated his shoulder in 1995 when he tried to catch an ironing board that had slipped from his grasp.
•*Rio Ferdinand missed a game last year after straining a foot tendon while watching television.

Source:Bloomberg News
There's all kinds of goodies out there today.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:28 PM   #14
FrellinFroon
Scrimshaw Polisher

The Way to Start 2003

Artist Eats Baby
Tue Dec 31,10:09 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A British television station defended a show in which a Chinese performance artist apparently eats a dead baby, calling it a "thought-provoking film about extreme art in China."

Channel 4, which upset viewers with a dissection of a human corpse last month, plans to air the documentary in which artist Zhu Yu shows off photographs of himself washing a dead stillborn baby in a sink and putting its dismembered parts in his mouth.

Politicians and media critics have condemned the plans but the Broadcasting Standards Commission said it could not address a program before it was shown.

In a preview provided to Reuters, Zhu is also shown having a piece of his own body grafted onto a pig. He describes his work as expressing his Christian faith, saying: "Jesus is always related to death, blood, wounds, etc."

The show's presenter, a Sunday Times newspaper art critic, calls the work "suffering for your art on a messianic scale."

He added: "I expected to be horrified by him, but I found him peaceful, monastic and even charming. When the cameras were switched off he admitted he'd vomited twice before going through his baby performance. But it was crucial to do it, so he forced himself."

The presenter, who interviews the artist in his apartment, calls him "China's most notorious contemporary cannibal," and says he actually ate the baby's flesh.

A spokesman for Channel 4 said the program, which airs on Thursday at 11 p.m., will carry warnings that viewers may be alarmed and noted the hour complies with rules banning material unsuitable for children before 9 p.m.

"The images appear in the context of an intelligent and thought-provoking film about extreme art in China," he said.

Old 01-02-2003, 01:51 PM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Re: The Way to Start 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by FrellinFroon
In a preview provided to Reuters, Zhu is also shown having a piece of his own body grafted onto a pig. He describes his work as expressing his Christian faith, saying: "Jesus is always related to death, blood, wounds, etc."
I think that because of the relative unavailability of Bibles in China, they must have a somewhat different understanding of Christianity than the rest of the world.

I don't remember where the pigs come in ... oh wait, I think I remember something about a miracle in which Jesus banished the demons from some dude during an exorcism into a handy nearby herd of pigs.

That must be it.

I just don't have a fine enough appreciation of art.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote