The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #46
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
http://www.fashionafter50.com/
This link from your post is unintentionally funny ...

Now, I know that the point of the site is for folks on the other side of the half-century mark. I'm there myself, but I've figured out all on my own that chartreuse is not my color, nor is anything else I would describe as day-glo, and plunging necklines are not a good look for me.

But, the old nuthouse, it was nicknamed 50.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #47
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Like, I'm drinkin' 40s at the 50 with the 911 crew?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #48
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Kinda.

So ... the result of the first shopping expedition ...

TJ Maxx - Useless. Nothing appropriate, even outside of my size range. Within my size range ... oh my. I have never seen clothing so completely horrible. Orange tanks with spaghetti straps? Such things should not even be made in those sizes! Think of the children!

Dress Barn Woman - Now has a lower high-end size cut-off. Even if they didn't, still wouldn't have tried anything on. Low necklines and maxi dresses are not work appropriate. Everything was in a horribly loud print. Oh, please, didn't they stop making stuff like that in the Seventies?

Payless Shoes - Just happened to be next door to the Dress Barn. Figured I wouldn't find a darn thing. Self fulfilling prophecy, there. Why oh why do they make size 12 shoes only in Narrow? Nobody's foot has that shape! Oh, and why are there only two kinds of shoes ... plaid sneakers (converse look-alikes) and spike heels? If you need a size 12 a heel is really not a good option.

Fashion Bug - I had pretty much given up the shopping idea by the time I got to the third store. But the lady who was tidying up at the front door was very cheery and nice. I explained my issue. She pointed out a store special of the day, something called a "crinkle top," which had a nicely decent collar, not a deep V, and some decent color choices. I got one that's mainly blues and purples, and pushed the envelope a little and chose one that's fuscia and white, but really not in-your-face about it. I also got some nice slacks, one pair of gray and one in black. At least I think they're black. They were darker than the dark brown ones I held them next to. So, two outfits, or four if you count swapping tops and bottoms.

I also bought a couple things on QVC last night. Have to see what stays and what goes back when it gets here.

EDIT TO ADD: Another nice thing about Fashion Bug ... they are doing this charitable donations push thingy ... you can round your purchase up to the nearest dollar to donate to Autism Speaks.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Last edited by wolf; 03-27-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #49
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Wolf, I really feel your pain on the sizing issue. I have the same problems, esp regarding footwear.

Mary recommends that you try Dillard's, Catherine's, Avenue and Ross. Good luck on the new job!

Love

Pam
Old 03-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #50
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Another shopping foray ... this time to Target. I didn't have much hope for them, but was surprised.

Total time, including parking, finding the women's department, cruising the racks, three fitting room trips and an at the rack try-on, checkout: 1/2 hour (travel time excluded)

Total cost: $29. I had a $5 gift card from a Keurig coffee promotion a couple months ago, and 5 cents off for bringing my own shopping bag. Oh, there was an extra 5 minutes wasted at the checkout because the checker couldn't figure out how to credit me the five cents for the bag and screwed up the cash register.

How much did I get for the $29? five blouses in assorted colors and a jacket.

Clearance racks rock.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #51
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Oh, there was an extra 5 minutes wasted at the checkout because the checker couldn't figure out how to credit me the five cents for the bag and screwed up the cash register.

Ya pay minimum wage, ya get minimum skill.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #52
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Another shopping foray ... this time to Target. I didn't have much hope for them, but was surprised.
Congratulations on the job!!!

My go-to work uniform is khaki slacks and a dress shirt. I have various sources for shirts, but Target is my go-to for cheap, reasonably durable khakis.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #53
Griff
still says videotape

If you're still shopping, Kohl's is pretty popular with the girls here.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #54
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm waiting on the arrival of the sales coupons for Kohls.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #55
monster
I hear them call the tide

Start on Monday?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #56
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Thursday. I have to go to "orientation," which I assume means "we spend the day explaining the policies you just read in the Employee Handbook."

Last edited by wolf; 03-30-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 03-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #57
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The hosiery expedition is a success, but I do have to go back for some returns. I got a load of knee-his in assorted colors (off black, coffee, and something called platina, didn't see the need for white, I'm not a nurse), and two pairs of pantyhose in the event of an emergency.

I got some bras, too, but they are going back. Uncomfortable. I'll stick with my preferred brand.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #58
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Returned two of the bras, decided to try some on in the store, ended up buying three.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #59
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

The Mrs loves the QVC outlet in Frazer, especially when they have %75 off. A decent selection of plus size items.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #60
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have been there, but not in a while. I love it too, but I tend to get distracted by the other items I've seen on air that are now super cheap.

Tags
wolf, wolf1