The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #31
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
What software do you have?
Old 12-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #32
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Merray belated Christmas everyone!
Old 12-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #33
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Happy Life Day!

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #34
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeadelic View Post
Dangit, and I still have no idea how to get the data size on my photos down to forum-acceptable, since the program I have available (not PS) only has 2 choices (Resize and Resample) and neither one seems to work.
Snake, I use an old program called Web Resizer, by Mino Studio. It does a pretty good job reducing file size on pics. Pretty simple, too. You can probably find it for free somewhere online.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #35
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

also ms paint, choose RESIZE, then save as
Old 12-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #36
Snakeadelic
Banned

Some of the stuff I've clipped out using Paint has retained enormous data sizes, not sure why because I so totally SUCK at software & technology. When I don't need to crop something out of an image, IrfanView is my go-to for pretty much everything. I should clarify: Resize and Resample on IV both do their jobs, but they don't reduce the DATA size of the file, only the image size. Discovered this trying to size down a photo I took several winters back of a light pillar with two "snow dogs", bright refractive patches 180 degrees apart caused by airborne ice crystals refracting the rising sun while it was still just barely below the horizon. I even got the pillar centered on the steeple of the church down the street.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #37
Snakeadelic
Banned

Giving it another quick try with a fresh image. I love living my life by natural light cycles, and being able to do familiar fine-motor tasks without having to look at my hands. Makes d*cking around with teeny memory cards before sunrise much easier!
Old 12-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #38
Snakeadelic
Banned

Resized to 20% is still 1.82 meg. My camera takes MASSIVE photos. I'm gonna try clipping it with Paint.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #39
Snakeadelic
Banned

All right, let's see if the cropped-with-Paint version is still too big...

Now I'm annoyed. The only Insert Image I can find is demanding an image URL, and the image in question is NOT online. It's on my hard drive.

Found it! Attachments, not Insert. Info below the pic gives 2 sizes: 79.89KB/1.09 MB. Not sure wtf that means. Height & width are WELL within limits. Here goes.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #40
Snakeadelic
Banned

OMG it worked!!!

Left to right: King Caesar, Rainbow Mothra hitching a ride with Godzilla 2000, Mecha-Godzilla from Against MG and Tokyo SOS, plush Godzilla I wrapped in tiny Xmas lights, hiding in the back right is Hedorah (look for the orange eyeball--it's the Smog Monster), my newest addition is the "toad-face" 1960s Godzilla, and finally at far right a plush King Ghidorah. They're all to scale with each other, by the way, with the Godzillas standing at about 7 inches each. People forget how many original kaiju are bigger than Godzilla! That list includes: Ghidorah in all his forms, adult Mothra, Biollante (half Godzilla, half rose plant), Destoroyah, and Megaguirus. All of whom are hard to find and crazy expensive. The 2014 American Godzilla was the biggest Goji yet, though the new Japanese one (Shin Godzilla) might be bigger. They actually are prepping for Godzilla Vs. King Kong (anticipated release date 2020); the new Kong in Skull Island is bigger than the Empire State Building the original climbed! Skull Island is right up there with Thor 3: Ragnarok in the list of upcoming movies I WILL see in the theater!
Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #41
Snakeadelic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
From gifts dot com...
I'm so glad I finally got all the gift-givers in my life trained! Gift cards! Don't care if they're Mastercard, Visa, or Amazon! I love me some gift cards. And my neighbor's family does send me clothing--awesome longjohn-fabric long-sleeved tees that make layering in the Montana winter so much easier, and--often matching--soft fuzzy plush pajama pants.

I only put on jeans between September and May any more if I have to leave the house. Otherwise I live in my "skooshy" pants . The pair I have on right now are bright red with penguins in toque hats or sweaters all over. And fuzzy. SO WARM. One of the few advantages of life as a nearly-homebound bundle of anxiety twitches is not having to dress any part for anyone about 90% of the time.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #42
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Sounds like you are resizing without resampling. The pixel dimension:resolution ratio is staying the same. So you can resize something that is 720px x 720px @ 72dpi to 360x360 @144dpi and the image will have the same file size.

Resampling will keep the resolution the same while reducing the number of pixels, so your file will go from 720px x 720px @ 72dpi to 360px x 360px @72dpi.

When you reduce an image's dimensions by half, the file size is usually reduced by more than half, I think it has something to do with math... like an inverse square law or something.

Part of the problem is in the terminology, resizing can mean file size, image dimension, adding starch.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #43
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
...Biollante (half Godzilla, half rose plant)...
WTF, Japan?!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:33 PM   #44
monster
I hear them call the tide

I have gold three-headed dragon envy.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:00 AM   #45
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I received a very excitable box yesterday ...
Name:  yarnbowl (2) small.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  82.1 KB
Which appeared to know the neighbours ...
Name:  yarnbowl (3) small.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  61.0 KB
And offered me a noob quiz!
Name:  yarnbowl (4) small.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  80.0 KB
The answers, of course, are:
1 - to make music
2 - ketchup all the way
3 - below you
4 - great thanks
5 - I don't know but they can buy another bowl, just as good, in the January sales, can't they?
The box was filled with scarily solid packing snot ....
Name:  yarnbowl (1) small.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  57.7 KB