The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

October 25, 2008: Aussie Spider

Australia has a reputation for some nasty wildlife. Things that bite like, Crocs and Sharks, or venomous bites like Snakes and Spiders.
Of course humans, being the self centered creatures we are, are most concerned with the dangers to ourselves. We rarely think about the dangers these nasties pose to other critters, except our pets. As a result, when one of these pictures comes along, it sort of jars our reality.

This picture from Atheron, is a native finch called the Chestnut-breasted Mannikin, caught in the web of a Golden Orb Weaver.
Quote:
Mr Shakepeare said he had seen Golden Orb Weaver spiders as big as a human hand but the northern species in tropical areas were known to grow larger.
Larger? Larger! We don't need no stinkin larger.

Telegraph link.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I can't tell from the photo, what the black mass is on the head of the bird? Is it a swollen wound?

I try and think about how spiders interact with each other usually. I saw a jumping spider kill a recluse in the corner of my window. Since then I have been hesitant to kill them all, because I can't kill the ones I don't see...So I let nature take it's course with the spidey's. Unless it's directly threatening me, like the other day, and I don't have time to establish it's identity. lol! My husband was so scared he made me kill it. (croquet mallet)

Since the new puppy has been around, I might take a new course of action and kill them all, 'tis true....For the same reason. Now I'm not willing to let nature take it's course or I could end up with a sick puppy.

No wonder aussie's seem so tough.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

#1: Get shotgun.
#2: KILL THAT MOTHERFUCKER!!! NOW!!!!!
#3: Sit in corner whimpering quietly. No, not in the corner, that's where the spiders hide!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

I've seen pictures of a Praying Mantis catching and eating a hummingbird, so this is well possible.
Actually, the spider seems to have heard about the slowly eaten rescue pig and decided to start this one off with drumstick; yum, one down, one to go.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Those spiders are very common in the state I live in. We have them in our garden in fact. Mostly they're smaller and just catch bugs. They're actually very beautiful and not aggressive. They just wait for things to land in their web.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I'm sick of these mother fuckin' spiders on this mother fuckin' web.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
Yes! Thank You! It needed to be said.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Sure, it just sits in the web, waiting for something to land. Until you walk through its web one morning and it finds itself on your face.... aaaaaaggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never heard of anyone using shotguns on a spider, but I do know someone who dealt with a seven-foot brown snake (quite lethal and aggressive) that was draped over the bushes in their garden by blasting it in two with a 12-gauge.

I think this was actually a good technique, because (a) it worked and (b) most people who get bitten by snakes got bitten because they were attacking the snake with something silly like a stick or a shovel. Don't take a stick to a fang/gun-fight.

That said, leaving them alone usually works.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
Me three

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Sure, it just sits in the web, waiting for something to land. Until you walk through its web one morning and it finds itself on your face.... aaaaaaggghhhhhh!!!!!!!
OMFG I've done that while walking in the woods - then you do the crazy dance trying to get it off you!
Old 10-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I rescued a woman from a spider on the bus the other day. Brit sized spider (body smaller than the nail of my little finger) but she was terrified. Her friend noticed it, but was too scared to brush it off - they were both up squealing, doing the spider-dance. I offered my services and she thanked me for the rest of the 5 minute journey.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

That spider is practicing on the mannikin and working its way up. Next victim: man.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I absolutely love spiders, I would love having aussie spiders around here. I "rescue" spiders all the time from close-minded people who try to kill them. I love plants and gardens, spiders just make all that better. In the summer I like to catch grasshoppers and throw them into the webs, its fun to watch how quick they get mummified.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Don't forget Aussie spiders can kill you...
Well, two can. And there are others which give painful bites.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Those spiders are very common in the state I live in. We have them in our garden in fact. Mostly they're smaller and just catch bugs. They're actually very beautiful and not aggressive. They just wait for things to land in their web.
This is why people think you are such a bloody liberal, Ali. I draw the line at "very beautiful" for a spider the size of my head.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #15
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well if that's the worst of it, I reckon I can cope.

I always see the beauty in nature though. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of others like me out there...or even on this board.

Tags
animal, finch, spider