The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-25-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 26th, 2019: Plarail

I have a vague idea of what’s going on here, but not a clue as to why.
These guys built a complete working model of the Tokyo subway system using Plarail.

Wiki says...
Quote:
Plarail (プラレール, Purarēru), pronounced in English as Play rail is a toy train and plastic track system made by Tomy and introduced in Japan in 1959.
It was expanded into a battery-operated electric toy train system in October 1961. Plarail is not compatible with most other brands of model railway, although as it has a similar rail gauge to the wooden toy train systems, rolling stock may run on both systems to some degree.

As you can see this thing takes up a lot of room, so it’s not like a model railroad in someone’s basement that just gathers dust,
and stuff gets stacked on it until you decide what to do with it.
A lot of work for a short term existence.

You won’t get to see it but you can ride it. Toot Toot.

link
Old 02-03-2019, 12:16 AM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That is epic.

I noticed some yellow dividers taped down to the track with green tape, which looked weird

Also, it looks like the tracks would work for Brio train toys. The video ends with the train approaching the loop/uturn. The loop looks super tight.. I would have liked to see the train go around the loop.

Thank you xoB for the thread!
Old 02-03-2019, 03:40 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It seemed pretty rocky is spots, but it's a temporary setup so the probably resorted to duct tape in some cases.
As the camera zigged and zagged, especially at stations, that was bad enough. I think making the loop at the end would make me barf.

Don't forget May 10th is the celebration of the 150th anniversary of driving the Golden Spike at Promontory Point Utah.

Quote:
One of the most iconic and life-altering events in America’s history – the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad – happened in Utah on May 10, 1869. Spike 150 is organized to partner with all those celebrating the 150-year anniversary of the Golden Spike ceremony in Utah. Through a series of activities and events, the Spike 150 initiative aims to inspire, educate, and reflect on the Transcontinental Railroad legacy as it unifies Utahns to see that great things are possible with vision, hard-work, dedication, innovation, and collaboration.
4014 Big Boy will be there.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

But will Merica be there?