The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 02-25-2017, 02:05 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Zurkerberg

What Zuckerberg wants to do with facebook.

Quote:
Among the thorny topics that Zuckerberg tried to address in his letter: Artificial intelligence, fake news, terrorism, polarization of society and online safety.

The letter is also a real neck-snap shift from Zuckerberg's initial who-us? shrug after the election, as many blamed fake news running rampant on Facebook in part for the election results. Now, he seems to be inching forward to saying that the service has become the way many get their news and information these days and that matters.

Still, Zuckerberg is also trying to thread a very thin needle in distancing Facebook as the cause of all the fake news, “One of the ideas I am focused on is common understanding,” he said. “If I could wave a magic wand and get rid of all misinformation, I would. But people would still use some sets of facts, the true facts, in order to fit whatever bias they have.”

True that, but in acknowledging that Facebook has a big role to play in fixing the problem, he is also tacitly admitting it has been part of the problem.

The question going forward is whether Facebook supports this massive Mark Manifesto — which is precisely what it is — with just money and long letters. Or does it fundamentally change the way it works — as an attention slot machine that turns that attention into money — in order to support the ideas Zuckerberg has outlined.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Mountain Mule
Slacker

I have been tied down and force fed Facebook, kicking and screaming all the way. It's pratically unavoidable for anyone who uses the Internet these days - ie all of us. I'm waiting for this outfit here to have one of those smiley "like us on facebook" icons that we can all mindlessly click on to show the world how beloved the Cellar really is. And why isn't there one of those "log on with your facebook account" come-ons at the top of the page?

Get with it, people! Otherwise, newbies like me will be fleeing in droves. I neeed to post my fake news on as many sites as possible all over the Internet and posting on forums like this one is costing me cash out of my own pocket. Don't the people who run this board understand that I only get maybe a nickle per verified post? Honestly, there oughtta be a law!

Except, I really don't understand how fb or anyone else is going to work out a system to sift out the wheat from the chaff without instituting some form of censorship, be it ever so benign and well intended. People are intellectually lazy and like to get their mis-information spoon fed and sensationalized by everyone from Limbaugh to MSNBC. To make it worse, we now have Comrade 45 who appears to be on a quest to ban legitimate reporting from sources like CNN and the Washington Post. The horror of it all! The only good thing is that as a nation, we couldn't care less about the education of our children (or ourselves), and everybody is going to be a semi-functional illiterate in a few more years. do u have pix? lol! watch mee text and dri...........!

The Mountain Mule has now posted all of the above on the Internet, so it must be true. Like me on fb, everybody, and maybe I'll consider sticking around.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

facebook is easy... don't go.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:41 AM   #4
Pi
desperate finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Mule View Post
The Mountain Mule has now posted all of the above on the Internet, so it must be true. Like me on fb, everybody, and maybe I'll consider sticking around.