The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 11-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

What Did the Cellar Ever Do For You...?

I thought of this while writing a post where I admitted I have different opinions about the importance of freedom of speech since I started to post here.

Despite being to the left of what Americans would call liberal, I have certainly gained a better understanding of what we would call the far right. Here. Where I encounter real people.

I've realised decent people, who I like, can have beliefs I would previously have found extreme.

I've begun to understand the culture of a country that is so very different to mine. That the words "American" and "culture" can exist in harmony for example, and that some Europeans can be snobbish. Same with the realisation that Americans really cook. And even have more interest in good food than I do. McDonalds and Domino's are not necessarily every American's sole food provider.

On a more personal level, I learned that people struggle with all sorts of issues, and what I perceived as a world where everyone was okay except for me was a self-pitying fabrication. Everyday people have huge issues underneath the surface. Children, self-esteem, depression, work, family trouble. Success is how you handle it, not where you appear to be. And sometimes you just don't handle it and that is okay too.

And that there is a world where you can use three and four syllable words and not get blank looks. Well - it's the internet, you can't see them anyway. But there is a place where you can write a paeon to a dead politician in one thread, then talk about having sparkle dust on your boobs in the next. Those were my first posts as I remember. I knew I was home.

BTW - I wasn't anti-American before I came here. I was just lacking in information.

Hope this isn't too Hallmark.
I just wanted to get it off my sparkle-dusted chest.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Would you like some help cleaning that chest?
Old 11-26-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Lovely sentiment Sundae. The Cellar has broadened my world and moderated my views over time. Our place rocks.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

i feel very much the same, Sundae, but you put it so eloquently and I can't think of how to add to it -!!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
monster
I hear them call the tide

Well said, SG.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
jinx
Come on, cat.

That was nice to read SG. Thanks for taking the time...
Old 11-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Cloud

Nice post. It's so hard to change one's mind. Have you ever been here? You should visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
BTW - I wasn't anti-American before I came here. I was just lacking in information..
This is the definition of prejudice. Pre-judging on surface impressions without evidence or knowledge.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Nirvana
Back in 10

Nice post SG. This is a great place to know that you would want to meet so many of the members in person. Also it helps you know who requires a wide berth . . .
Old 11-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
This is the definition of prejudice. Pre-judging on surface impressions without evidence or knowledge.
I was prejudiced, I admit it.
Through ignorance.
The internet has opened up the world for me.

Yes, I've been to America and loved it.
As I say, I had nothing against Americans. But I did think in stereotypical terms. Like people think Britain is all bad teeth, bad food and bad weather, crumbling castles, crumpets and more-tea-vicar? Okay, the weather I'll give you - I like it but I'm in the minority.

I thought America was all fast food, disposable culture. If you wanted class and refinement you had to be rich. Way off beam. I blame those pesky books and movies.

I think it's more that I struggled to find people to relate to IRL, and treasured them when I found them. How could I know that a bunch of verbose, pedantic, hard-drinking gourmands could live over the pond?!

Last edited by Sundae; 11-26-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

It's certainly one of the definitions of prejudice.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I think by the time I was 9 I knew all brits didn't drink tea with their pinky extended. The jury is still out on the creme in the tea bit though. :P

no really...I want to know * huge smile* I really think if I went there and ordered tea and didn't put milk in it I'd be given blank looks.

Another thing I assume is that American's wear more tennis shoes and jeans and Europeans wear more dresses and non athletic shoes so if I don't want to look like a tourist if and when I ever go there I should dress more posh? Is this true?

ps. I like jeans but with boots or shoes although I've been wearing my tennis shoes lately because my boots are too nice and my shoes sole is lifted.
( geez what a confessional)
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
The jury is still out on the creme in the tea bit though. :P
Cream or creme or whatever - NO! Milk only in tea. Or lemon or nothing I mean. If it's cow juice it must be milk.
Quote:
no really...I want to know * huge smile* I really think if I went there and ordered tea and didn't put milk in it I'd be given blank looks.
In respect to the above, most people have milk in tea, but any reasonable places give it to you on the side, as the amount of milk added is a personal choice. Neither my Mum nor my Dad have milk in tea and they have no problems. If you went to a roadside cafe (frequented by builders and/or lorry drivers) you'd probably have to ask for a tea-no-milk, but even there it wouldn't get stares. And I have to ask whether you've had English tea? IMO it is definitely improved by milk. Unlike herbal teas, which are ruined by it.
Quote:
Another thing I assume is that American's wear more tennis shoes and jeans and Europeans wear more dresses and non athletic shoes so if I don't want to look like a tourist if and when I ever go there I should dress more posh? Is this true?
Depends solely on where you are, chick. Jeans & trainers are de rigeur here too. If you're taking afternoon tea at the Ritz you dress up. Same as I would if I were visiting a top class hotel in New York. Tourists are in a class of their own. I attracted many male reactions in Egypt and Sri Lanka in a dress I thought conservative... At least in London you won't be set on by a bunch of schoolkids wanting a photo with you!
Old 11-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
DanaC

I go to my council meetings wearing skinny jeans and baseball boots. Or suit trousers and baseball boots. There are very few places I go to where I don't feel quite happy in jeans and trainers. Or biker boots. But like Sundae said, it's situation specific. Even then, to be honest I tend to wear jeans and baseball boots to restaurants and functions as well.

I don't go to the Ritz. And when I've visited L at the House of Commons I wore a suit.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Thanks for opening up about it Sundae. I am sensitive to people's "ill" conceived notions, but I don't bother to talk them out of it. They need evidence by experience, and I would not rob them of it.

If you learn anything I hope it's not to judge others by the way in which they add milk to their tea.

Thanks for your honesty.

Cultures don't always have to clash- they can supplement your own. They can enhance and do not always divide. Sometimes we can confuse things that are actually complimentary, with things that are versus. I am not immune to it either.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
DanaC

of course, there's nothing inherently wrong with reaching an 'understanding' of things based on little or no evidence. Those preconceptions are partly why we are able to function in the world as we do. We cannot possibly know all there is to know, but even where knowledge is absent, our brains need to find a satifactory way to code and understand the world.