The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #76
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My father claims they said "all the same things" about Reagan when he was elected. I think he's living a revisionist history, but I was too young to remember myself, and too lazy to try to find evidence of lack.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #77
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But the things they said about Reagan didn't become close to how bad he was for the working man.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #78
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Reagan probably is a decent template for how they will handle Trump after he leaves. Ignore everything he does, and name a bunch of things after him so he seems great.

It's how Trump has led his life up to now already, so they've got a head start.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #79
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But the things they said about Reagan didn't become close to how bad he was for the working man.
Reagan did not undo what Jimmy Carter (actually the Fed) did to fix the economy. Interest rates were raised to 20% in the late 1970s. Those high interest rates were particularly hard on debtors - ie working man. Maintaining high rates until the mid 1980s fixed the economy. That was good for the working man. It undid so much damage created by Nixon and his war. He paid for it by subverting American currency and long term economic growth. A 'silent majority' inherited what they did not speak out against. Nixon was bad for the working man.

How many working men saw damage created by Nixon when he was creating it?

It is not possible to judge what is coming by viewing the past. We have never had a president who makes decisions on knee jerk emotions. We have never had a president who will routinely lie. And then even deny he said that. We have never had a president who says he will do one thing and then intentionally does something different.

We can only believe what he says - not what he is going to do. None of those previous president did that. We have no reliable idea what is coming.

Last edited by tw; 01-03-2017 at 02:53 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #80
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
We have no reliable idea what is coming.
Whoa, I just agreed with tw!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #81
glatt

Jonathan Pie explains it

As a DC person, I can tell you that Trump's inauguration is basically completely unplanned compared to the 6 or 7 I have seen before. It's in two weeks and we still don't know if there will be any balls going on that shut down parts of the city. Normally the convention center across the street from my office is booked by now and Secret Service has started informing us that we will need ID to access our building in the day or two leading up to the day.

I just had a conversation with my son's sax tutor. He's in the Marine band. He knows the band will be doing something that day, but he doesn't know what. Parade? Probably. Ceremony? He doesn't know. He says it's always been nailed down by now.

I don't know what this can tell you about a Trump presidency. Maybe just that he has absolutely no organization in place to do this stuff and that he's completely overwhelmed.

Will there even be an inaugural ball? A single one? Normally there are a half a dozen or so.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #82
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
As a DC person, I can tell you that Trump's inauguration is basically completely unplanned compared to the 6 or 7 I have seen before. It's in two weeks and we still don't know if there will be any balls going on that shut down parts of the city. Normally the convention center across the street from my office is booked by now and Secret Service has started informing us that we will need ID to access our building in the day or two leading up to the day.

I just had a conversation with my son's sax tutor. He's in the Marine band. He knows the band will be doing something that day, but he doesn't know what. Parade? Probably. Ceremony? He doesn't know. He says it's always been nailed down by now.

I don't know what this can tell you about a Trump presidency. Maybe just that he has absolutely no organization in place to do this stuff and that he's completely overwhelmed.

Will there even be an inaugural ball? A single one? Normally there are a half a dozen or so.
Maybe if all you libtard cucks would stop lying about him in the crooked media!!
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 01-05-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #83
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Maybe if all you libtard cucks would stop lying about him in the crooked media!!
Yeah. Fox News and the other Murdoch media does that too much.

Berlusconi in Italy used similar crooked media so do so much harm to the Italian economy. Fox News is so crooked at to now be called Trump TV. It is amazing how crooked media makes possible pathic leaders such as Berlusonci, Trump, and Elaine May. Last one makes Sarah Palin look intelligent.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #84
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Trump will not alter the H1B Visa program.
Hmmm, but the deal may be altered in other ways...

Trump signs an EO stopping all refugees for 120 days, and all visa holders from seven countries (Syria, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Somalia, Yemen and Libya) for 90 days.

Google orders any of its green card or H1Bers from those countries, that are overseas, to fly back to the US:

Google Recalls Staff to U.S. After Trump Immigration Order

This is odd because H1Bers are not refugees; the average H1Ber salary in the US is 75K*. I worked with one who was investing in a lot of land back in India, and would be considered upper class there.

Anyway, the seven countries represent a small fraction of all H1Bers. Four out of five H1Bers are Indian or Chinese*. Still, when stories like this are in the news, it may cause employers to think twice before bringing in H1Bers.

Or it may cause them to defiantly hire more of them. (Instead of hiring lesser-paid/older IT workers (like me) and training them.) We don't know. Whichever way the wind blows.

* citation: US Gov "Characteristics of H-1B Specialty Occupation Workers"

this post was edited for accuracy 6 minutes after posting
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #85
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Now all that having been said, and my fiscal position very much affected by it, my best guess is that it is not Good for America(TM).

My other best guess is: the hysteria over it will be far more damaging to the country than the actual act.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #86
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

One admissions officer from a medical school reported that they have been instructed to toss out all applications from those seven countries, regardless of anything else, because they cannot guarantee that the 90 days will not be extended.

When you're a politician, you understand that the hysteria is the act, just like the economy runs on belief and not reality. If everyone goes apeshit, it doesn't matter if he never intended for it to happen--part of his job is to predict that it would happen.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #87
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Pie explains it this week

Old 02-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #88
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

As an American have the right to hate anyone I wish, regardless of race color or creed.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #89
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That guy's one note is boring. . His point that it's wrong and ironic the way Milo's speech was responded to, *by some* is correct. His hyperbole and relentless stereotyping and assigning the actions of the vanishingly small minority to "the left" is wrong.

I question HIS motives, maybe HE'S a plant for "the right".

Sounds dumb, eh? . Just like when he does it. Dumb and boring. I dare him to fill that gap in the market and just report the facts. I doubt he'd find sufficient ratings OR catharsis though.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #90
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
That guy's one note is boring. . His point that it's wrong and ironic the way Milo's speech was responded to, *by some* is correct. His hyperbole and relentless stereotyping and assigning the actions of the vanishingly small minority to "the left" is wrong.

I question HIS motives, maybe HE'S a plant for "the right".

Sounds dumb, eh? . Just like when he does it. Dumb and boring. I dare him to fill that gap in the market and just report the facts. I doubt he'd find sufficient ratings OR catharsis though.
Generalization was the word I was searching for. The broader his claims of responsibility, the more diffuse his focus and the subsequent search for a solution to the problems he complains about. "The left is responsible for Donald Trump's election". Riiight. Well, we should tell the left to not do that, hm? Ridiculous.