The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #211
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I'm with you, there, Ali. But what you grow up with very often seems "normal" until someone questions it ...
Old 11-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #212
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well, to be honest, I learned how to make white sauce with a wooden spoon. My mum was very traditional in the kitchen. She didn't even own a whisk!

When I had my own kitchen, I had whisks (a couple of different sizes) and they just make life so much easier. I'd never bother going back to the old way of doing it...and I am not intending to teach my kids the old way either.

There are some things about old traditions that just are not better than creating new ones.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #213
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hmm... is there anything in the idea of putting a bit of sherry or wine into that kind of cheese sauce to make macaroni & cheese more adult? I presume it would go in last.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #214
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I wouldn't put sherry or wine in, but I do use different types of cheeses or put some mustard in or other spices. You really can dress up a white sauce to be anything you like.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #215
Urbane Guerrilla

Thought so. Thanx!
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #216
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

I'm "re-organizing" my recipes, a task I did not think would be so daunting, so I thought I'd post some tried-and-trues here as I'm going through them, especially since I stole a few from you all. I'll post more as I get them scanned into my puter.

7 - 10 Layer Salad
  • 1 1/2 qts chopped lettuce
  • 2 c chopped tomatoes
  • 2 c sliced mushrooms
  • 1 (10 oz) pkg frozen peas
  • 2 c small broccoli or cauliflower flourettes
  • 4 oz cubed mild cheddar
  • 1 c green and/or red pepper
  • several sliced hard boiled eggs
  • 1 c red onion rings
  • several slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
  • 2 c mayo
  • 2 tbsp sugar
Layer ingredients in large (2-3 qt) clear serving bowl. Mix mayo and sugar (or use 2 c Miracle Whip); spread on top of salad. Garnish with bacon. Chill. Pretty salad esp at holidays.

Cheese Squares
  • 1 c swiss cheese, shredded
  • 1 c parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 1/2 c mayo
  • onion, grated, to taste
  • 1 loaf Pepperidge Farms very thin sliced bread, quartered, crust removed
Preheat to 400F. Mix ingredients together and spread on bread. Toast 4-5 min. Quick, easy app.

Sausage and Cheese Balls
  • 1 lb ground hot Italian pork sausage
  • 2-3 c Bisquik
  • 1 lb very shark NY cheddar, grated
  • 3/4 c H2O
Preheat 350F. Combine sausage and cheese. Add Bisquik, working with hands. Shape into balls and bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 15 min. Easy, and freakin yummy! Pork and cheese, pork and cheese!

Broccoli Cheese Casserole a/k/a How To Get Your Kid To Eat Broccoli
  • 2 packages frozen chopped broccoli (or spinach, or other veggies), mostly thawed (par cook fresh veggies)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (or any cream-based soup)
  • 1 cup mayo
  • 2 cups medium or sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 2 eggs
  • onion, diced (I usually put in a whole large onion)
  • 1-2 cloves garlic
  • S&P
  • approx 1/2 - 1 cup bread crumbs
Preheat oven to about 375F. Layer veggies in casserole dish to cover the bottom.* In mixing bowl, mix all remaining ingredients except the bread crumbs.** Pour mixture evenly over veggies. Bake for about 25 minutes, then remove from oven,*** spread a little butter over the top and sprinkle bread crumbs. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

* I often will make this by par cooking bone/skin-less chicken breasts and put them on the bottom under the veggies.
** Diced ham or bacon thrown into the wet mixture is wonderful.
*** I started adding sliced tomatoes in a layer on top just under the bread crumbs. I hate tomatoes, but other people love it this way.

Spinach-Artichoke Dip
(I can't recall the measurements, just the ingredients, so I play with it until I get the right consistency/taste)
  • Spinach
  • Artichoke hearts
  • Butter
  • heavy cream
  • sour cream
  • garlic, sautéed
  • onion
  • Tabasco
  • parmesan
  • white cheddar
Mix, bake to warm.

And last, but definitely not least... the best muther-effing version of French Toast ever... Except for that french toast made with raisin bread and cream cheese...

Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup
  • 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Dash salt
  • Praline Topping, recipe follows
  • Maple syrup
Slice French bread into 20 slices, or about 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or breadcrumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 x 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #217
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Hmm... is there anything in the idea of putting a bit of sherry or wine into that kind of cheese sauce to make macaroni & cheese more adult? I presume it would go in last.
I put sherry or wine in cheese fondue, I know that much.
I also know I'd perform barely legal sex acts to have a cheese fondue right now
Old 11-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #218
Urbane Guerrilla

Or maybe just mildly creepy... like licking a poster of Rachel Ray or something.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #219
jinx
Come on, cat.

My kids can't have dairy products (from a cow), they are allergic (plus cow milk is teh debil, but anyway...), so we have to get creative with some 'normal' foods. When goat cheese was harder to find and more expensive, I substituted other foods... like making nachos with squash. The kids love 'em - even my nephew who eats nothing. Just layer;

Chips
Refried Beans
Frozen cooked winter squash
Cinnamon
Brown sugar or maple syrup (sprinkle on or add to squash while heating up)

Couldn't find frozen squash at 2 markets today and the boy was demanding mushrooms so we adapted again and layered;

chips
refried beans
Midnight Moon goat cheese
few more chips
cubed carrots, squash, parsnips - simmered till soft in chix broth
small white beans
mushrooms
more M.M. and a little chevre

Baked until the mushrooms looked cooked enough.

The kids say they are awesome, but they miss the cinnamon.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:53 AM   #220
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

You Americans are cinnamon freaks!!!

I made this for lunch today (had some people over) it was divine. The original recipe used Pork...but as that is just nasty...I used Chicken.

Spicy Chicken Salad.

Chicken needs to marinate for at least 2 hours, overnite is preferred. Everything can be made well in advance and just assembled when needed.

Ingredients:

Marinade....
400g Chicken Tenderloins or Cubed Chicken Breast
2 cloves garlic - crushed
30ml soy sauce
30ml dry sherry
small nub of ginger - grated
2 teaspoons brown sugar
50ml olive oil
10ml sesame oil
1 teaspoon chilli paste (I use 2 teaspoons)

Salad...
2 Zucchinis - cut into strips
2 spring onions
1 carrot - cut into strips
1/4 red capsicum - cut into strips
1/2 cup of mung bean shoots (or bean shoots)
250g Singapore style noodles

Dressing...
20ml lime juice
20ml lite olive oil
10ml sesame oil
5 sprigs fresh coriander
10ml oyster sauce
5ml fish sauce
20ml sweet chili sauce

Method...

Prepare marinade from the garlic soy, sherry, ginger, brown sugar, oils, and chilli. Marinate for at least two hours.

Combine salad ingredients into a bowl and keep well chilled.

Prepare the dressing and keep chilled.

Cook chicken on a hot BBQ or frying pan.

Toss noodles in a hot pan to warm, add the salad and combine.

Place into serving bowl.

Arrange chook on the salad and drizzle liberally with the dressing.

Garnish with fresh coriander.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #221
Urbane Guerrilla

Stoopid Simple Cranberry Sauce

Not a jellied sauce but unflavored gelatin could always fix that. The wife made this today -- while suffering terrible twinges from the site of her root canal, yet. Every now and then it kicks up.

If I'd ever known it was this easy...! Don't get me wrong, I love the canned Ocean Spray product too, that keeps the pattern of the can on its outside when you unmold it from the can into a recumbent claret cylinder on its serving dish -- particularly for turkey sandwiches the day after, which this more liquid sauce won't do...

3 cups (340g/705ml) Frozen Cranberries -- the 12 oz package
1/2 cup (100g/115ml) Honey
1 cup (225ml) Water
Zest of one small Orange

Bring Water and Honey to boil, dissolving honey. Add Cranberries and Orange Zest, return to boil, boiling gently until cranberry skins pop or break. Remove from heat and refrigerate -- about 1 hour is enough to chill it well. Yields about 2 1/2 cups of sauce.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:35 AM   #222
Urbane Guerrilla

Keeping the thread handy

SOS can be... shoddily... made. Phooey on trying to pass off unseasoned plain hamburger as the one true Creamed Chipped Beef. It needs the chipped beef, or this Turkish-style variant.

Or for heaven's sake, do something to pep up the ground beast. Try minced garlic and ground red pepper.

Middle-Eastern markets can get you pastirma, as can some middle-eastern restaurants. You may have to get creative to land a supply.

Armour Brand chipped beef in the little jars gets its zip from nitrite curing. Some pastirma does likewise, but in the main it gets its zing from a rub of powdered red pepper and garlic. Nitrite is optional. Pastirma can be found sliced, in half-pound and 1-pound family size packets in the freezer case, and costs like pretty good cheese, about eight dollars the pound. You won't need more than the half-pounder one.

SOS with Pastirma

3 to 4 oz Pastirma slices, snipped or sliced 1/4" across -- about an eighth of a kilo
2 TBSP (30ml) Butter
2 TBSP (30ml) Flour, all purpose or w/w
1 1/3 (220ml)cups Milk
1/2 tsp (~10ml) Worcestershire Sauce
Buttered Toast, cut in points if you're feeling Martha Stewartish or James Bearded

Lightly sauté Pastirma bits in the Butter, about 3 minutes. Stir in the Flour, making a roux, then add the Milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, then cook and stir 1-2 mins more. Add Worcestershire Sauce with a dash Pepper if desired. Spoon mixture over buttered toast points.

Option: fry 1 large clove crushed Garlic in the butter with the Pastirma, remove and discard Garlic. Makes your white sauce Béchamel-ish.

Serves 3-4, unless you really like Creamed Chipped Beast on etcetera and hog it all yourself.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 12-22-2007 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:13 PM   #223
Urbane Guerrilla

One-Skillet Bacon & Sausage Guy Food

from some guy in Levittown

1 lb smoked bacon
1 lb good polish kielbasa
1 really huge onion or 2 regular ones
several large potatoes, sliced thickish
tablespoon of mustard, salt and pepper to taste.

These instructions are for a house with a normal sized large frying pan. Also you need a baking pan, or else bake it in the frying pan too.
Cut the bacon into 2 inch strips, cook it just short of done, you want it a bit soft - remove from pan.
Cut the kielbasa into @ 1/4 inch slices, cook in the bacon fat until it is just short of browned, remove from the pan.
Cut the onion into large slices cook until just translucent remove from pan.
Combine bacon, kielbasa, and onions and put into a deep baking pan. Oven preheat at about 350 F.
Cut the spuds into 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick slices and cook in the fat in the frying pan until browned. Move the potatoes into the baking pan as they are done, and you are adding more, you only want one layer of potato cooking at any time.
Stir the bacon, sausage, onion, potato mix in the oven occasionally as you finish and add more potatoes. [??? - UG]

I have no idea why he thinks he should stir it while it's baking, or why he hasn't put all the potatoes in at once. --UG

Ready to roll once everything is cooked and a bit of shredded cheddar on top is nice.
Yes, you're right, I'm really pissed off at my heart.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #224
Urbane Guerrilla

The Santa Fe School of Cooking & Something They Do w/Salsa

From a cooking class conducted by Rocky Durham:

The Santa Fe School of Cooking is at 116 W. San Francisco St. (upper level of the Plaza Mercado). The school was founded in 1989 by Susan Curtis; her daughter, Nicole Curtis Ammerman,, joined her in the business 13 years ago. The storefront shop offers cookware, tabletop accessories, regional products and ingredients. For ingredients and online information, go to www.santafeschoolofcooking.com.

Got fresh chiles? Roast 'em like so for a good peeling -- from the article:

Durham started with Anaheim chilies to make his green sauce, a necessary substitute until the fall harvest of fresh New Mexican Hatch chilies is conducted.

"The skin can taste like plastic, so these green chilies are always peeled," Durham said, placing fresh Anaheim chilies atop a screen set over stovetop flames. They made loud pepper-popping noises as their skins dotted with black blisters. Removed from the heat and sealed in a large, zipper-style plastic bag, the chilies were set aside to cool and steam a little before their skins would be rubbed off and interior seeds removed.

Santa Fe Enchiladas recipes

You will need to double this Green Chile Sauce recipe to provide enough sauce to make the enchiladas. If you're looking for a shortcut, instead of roasting, seeding and peeling fresh Anaheim chilies, use canned mild (diced) chilies instead.

Green Chile Sauce

Yield: about 2 1/2 cups

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 cup chopped onion

2 to 3 teaspoons minced garlic

2/3 cup roasted, peeled, diced Anaheim green chilies

2/3 cup roasted, peeled diced Hatch chilies, defrosted if frozen; see cook's notes

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

3/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano; see cook's notes

Optional to use as needed: beurre manie made with 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour mixed with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Salt if needed

Cook's notes: Frozen Hatch chilies (roasted, seeded, diced) are available online at www.hatch-chile.com (as well as on other sites). They are available in mild, medium (Big Jim variety) and hot (Sandia variety). When I was leaving Santa Fe to go to the airport in Albuquerque, I stopped at Sam's Club and bought several bags of frozen Hatch chilies. They are the Sandia variety and are extremely hot. I balance them out with mild Anaheim chilies in this sauce. I like to double this recipe and freeze leftover sauce. I use leftover sauce for tacos and stews. If desired, fresh cilantro (to taste) can be added to the sauce at the last minute.

Dried Mexican oregano is sold at most supermarkets in the Latin American specialty section. Most often, it is sold in clear cellophane bags.

"The oil should look like the hem of a woman's skirt — shimmering and dancing," he said about the oil he was heating in the pot. I thought about the moving surface of the oil and envisioned the motion at the bottom of a full, sequined skirt. I may never look at hot oil the same way again.

Procedure:

1. Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add chilies, pepper and chicken broth. Rub oregano between your hands and let it drop into mixture. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes.

2. If sauce is too thin, stir in about a teaspoon of beurre manie. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Taste and add salt as needed.

Nutritional information (per 1/4 cup): calories 30 (less than 3 percent from fat), protein 0.2 g, carbohydrates 3 g, fat 1.5 g (saturated 0.5 g), cholesterol 0 mg, sodium 230 mg, fiber 0.1 g.

— Source: Rocky Durham, The Santa Fe School of Cooking, Santa Fe, N.M.

Red Chile Sauce from Ground Chilies

Yield: 3 cups

1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds

1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup finely diced onion

2 to 3 teaspoons minced garlic

1/2 cup ground medium Chimayo red chilies; see cook's notes

2 1/2 cups chicken broth or water

1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano; see cook's notes

2 teaspoons sherry vinegar

1 teaspoon honey

Salt to taste

Cook's notes: I bought ground medium Chimayo red chile at www.santafeschoolofcooking.com. If desired, you can substitute ground California chilies or ground New Mexican chiles, or a combination of both.

Dried Mexican oregano is sold at most supermarkets in the Latin American specialty section. Most often, it is sold in clear cellophane bags.

He cooked onions in a large saucepan until they were soft, then added some minced garlic and let it cook about 1 minute. Meanwhile, in a large pan, he briefly toasted red chili powder, no longer than about 30 to 40 seconds. He warned that if the powder scorched, it would become bitter. He added the powder to the onion mixture, stirred in chicken stock, ground toasted spices, a pinch of Mexican oregano. A splash of sherry vinegar and a smidgen of honey followed.

Procedure:

1. In a small, dry skillet, toast cumin seeds and coriander seeds over medium-high heat until seeds are lightly browned and aromatic; shake handle of skillet to rotate seeds and brown on all sides. Use a clean, electric spice grinder or coffee grinder to grind toasted seeds into a powder. Set aside.

2. Heat oil in large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.

3. Place ground red chiles in a separate large saucepan. Place on medium-high heat and heat chilei powder, shaking handle and stirring to keep powder from scorching. Heat it about 30 seconds or so, to lightly toast it. Remove from heat.

4. Stir chile powder into onion mixture and stir to combine. Stir in broth or water. Stir in cumin-coriander seed mixture and Mexican oregano. Stir in vinegar and honey. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 20 minutes, or until mixture has thickened slightly. Taste and add salt as needed.

Nutritional information (per 1/4 cup): calories 33 (less than 3 percent from fat), protein 0.4 g, carbohydrates 3.8 g, fat 1.5 g (saturated 0.5 g), cholesterol 0 mg, sodium 278 mg, fiber 0.1 g.

"There are three ways to clean the grinder," he said. "You can grind up a piece of bread and discard it. Or you can grind up some raw rice and discard it. Or you can grind coarse salt and keep it. The toasted, spice salt can be used to flavor lots of dishes."

We loved the dual-purpose salt trick. I could see a potential gift, shown off in a jar tied with a red ribbon.

As the small appliance whirled salt with the residual spices left behind in the grinder, he said he would pass the mixture around for students to taste.

"But don't lick and dip," he said. "Just pinch, then taste."

Chicken or Cheese with Corn Enchiladas

Yield: 10-12 servings

Vegetable oil, for greasing pan

3 cups red or green chile sauce (see recipes)

About 16 corn tortillas

4 cups cooked chicken (boned, skinned) or 3 cups corn kernels

1 1/2 pounds (6 cups) grated Monterey jack or cheddar cheese (or a combination of both)

1 1/2 cups diced yellow onions

Garnish: 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce

Garnish: 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes

Garnish: 1 1/4 cups sour cream

Optional garnish: sliced green onions, including green tops

Procedure:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with vegetable oil.

2. Spread about 1 cup sauce over bottom of pan and layer half of tortillas evenly over sauce. If using chicken, toss chicken with about 3 tablespoons sauce. Spread half of chicken over tortillas. If using corn, spread half of corn over tortillas.

3. Sprinkle with one-third of cheese and half of the onion. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for second layer and top with the last cup of sauce and remaining cheese.

4. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.

5. To serve, spoon portions onto dinner plates. Garnish with shredded lettuce, diced tomato and top with sour cream.

Nutritional information (per 1/4 cup): calories 323 (49 percent from fat), protein 11.9 g, carbohydrates 30.5 g, fat 17.6 g (saturated 5.5 g), cholesterol 40 mg, sodium 670 mg, fiber 0.5 g.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 01-27-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #225
Urbane Guerrilla

Leftovers In A Skillet...

...that came out really pretty good.

I had some leftover baked potatoes, rather overdone in fact. Overdone baked potatoes are less fun than ones done just right. So, what to do to salvage the poor shrunken things?

Nameless Skilletstuff

Quantities approximate.

Half dozen Baked Potatoes, small
Half can (15oz) diced Tomatoes, juice and all
1 cup frozen cut Okra
1/3-1/2 cup Barbeque Sauce
1/2 cup turkey Pastrami, diced

Heat through in skillet or wok-pan on medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally. Uncover pan and reduce liquid towards a sauce texture, stirring occasionally to prevent any burning.

The okra actually doesn't yuck this up because of the tomatoes it has to play with, and your favorite BBQ sauce is about all you need for seasoning. Probably any kind of pastrami would work.

Pastirma? Maybe substitute jerk sauce for BBQ sauce, then.

Tags
recipes